[Ongoing Story] Patients diverted to other hospitals after ransomware locks down key software

Guest Kloaked

Original Article: http://arstechnica.com/security/2016/02/la-hospital-latest-victim-of-targeted-crypto-ransomware-attack/

WHO HOLDS A ******* HOSPITAL HOSTAGE?

Neckbeards who don't know what an honest job is, that's who.

Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center, a hospital in Los Angeles, is the victim of what officials describe as an ongoing cyberattack. A hospital spokesperson told Ars in a prepared statement that "patient care has not been affected" by the intrusion. And an executive of the hospital told reporters that the attack was "random" and not targeted at patient records.

However, local news organizations have reported that some emergency patients were diverted to other hospitals—and that some of the hospital's systems have been locked down by ransomware. The hospital has reverted to paper patient registration and medical records, according to NBC 4 in Los Angeles, and the hospital's network has been shut down for over a week.

This is pure asshole-ery at it's finest. They're making it that much harder for the hospital to care for it's patients, but they're coping with their systems being unusable.

The HPMC ransomware attack appears to be part of a trend of increasingly targeted ransomware attacks against businesses and larger institutions. These are likely carried out by cybercriminals who have managed to gain access to the organizations' networks through other malware to conduct reconnaissance. The trend was the topic of a presentation by security researcher Roel Schouwenberg at last week's Suits and Spooks forum in Washington, DC.

"The targeted attacks that I'm aware of started to become more prevalent over the course of 2015," Schowenberg told Ars in an e-mail conversation following the conference. The attacks were launched by "a number of different threat actors, but it's very hard to get the full picture," he noted.

What are they demanding though, after all of this?

Mother. Fucking. Bitcoins.

The amount being demanded by the attackers to provide the key to unlock the hospital's systems has not been made public, though it has been reported to be as much as 9,000 Bitcoin—the equivalent of $3.6 million.

How much of an asshat do you have to be to do something like this? Obviously some guys don't know how to shy away from mommy's teet and make it on their own. No, they have to hold up a hospital's systems and make it that much harder for the hospital to care for it's patients.

I wonder how much damage has been cause by this breech -- not just including equipment, but including the amount of time it's taking to care for needy patients because time is sometimes the only thing patients have.

I hope these assholes are found and put in prison for the rest of their lives.

At least hold someone like the NSA hostage with ransomware. Not a Hospital.

People already end up going broke in america over medical fees, much to the dismay of us Free Healthcare'd citizens. At least let them go broke peacefully.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Don't you sometimes just wish you could find them and beat the living hell out of them, who the fuck do they think they are.

[CPU] Ryzen 5 3600x [Cooling] be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 [Mobo] B450 Tomahawk Max [RAM] 16GB (2X8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz [GPU] RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio [PSU] XFX XTR 750W [Case] Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed

I mean, come on.  A hospital?  The NSA is one thing, but let's not attack the people who are already sick..

That's a kick in the dick.

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

Laptop:   Razer Blade Stealth 2016

Let's be honest here....most of the doctor I've seen in hospital...don't really care for their patients...

Most of the time, they would look at you, do a few checks and claim you're fine when in reality, something really isn't, just to get a higher number of patients done meaning more money in their pockets. This is coming from personal experience as my grandmother had an infection, and the doctors claim there was no issue..until a few days later and where she is in deep pain, lost some memory, and actually going somewhat crazy.

2 minutes ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

Let's be honest here....most of the doctor I've seen in hospital...don't really care for their patients...

Most of the time, they would look at you, do a few checks and claim you're fine when in reality, something really isn't, just to get a higher number of patients done meaning more money in their pockets. This is coming from personal experience as my grandmother had an infection, and the doctors claim there was no issue..until a few days later and where she is in deep pain, lost some memory, and actually going somewhat crazy.

How many hospitals have you been to?

I've never heard of that happening - is this more of a US thing? Here hospital appointments take quite a long time - because they spend enough time with the patients to actually diagnose an issue. As healthcare is free, the doctors don't earn anything from having more patients so they rather get people done properly than have them come back 4 times.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

6 minutes ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

It must have been that one hospital, not all hospitals are bad

7 minutes ago, itsmyjobtoknow said:

I'm very sorry about what happened to your grandmother, but that doesn't justify the actions of these hackers. Not in the slightest.

Hospitals still provide invaluable healthcare services and the software and data being held ransom are invaluable resources for them to look after patients- patients who may depend on the hospital's staff and resources to live another day, or to stay on their feet without collapsing.

I know there are instances where doctors and hospitals fail, but there are even more instances where they save lives, and all of us would do well to remember that. And it's not okay to hold a hospital's equipment ransom.

2 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

I've never heard of that happening - is this more of a US thing? Here hospital appointments take quite a long time - because they spend enough time with the patients to actually diagnose an issue. As healthcare is free, the doctors don't earn anything from having more patients so they rather get people done properly than have them come back 4 times.

It's not a thing. The hospital I stayed at where I live when I had a severe fever (I forget what exactly it was that I had), I had nothing but positive things to say about the nurses and the doctors.

Mostly the nurses ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Just now, Kloaked said:

How many hospitals have you been to?

Personally, one

But the rest of my family has been to several others around NYC.

Heck, I've seen some doctor that work in their own building and don't even want to touch my sick siblings and just give us a prescription

5 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

It's not a US thing, but it has happen to me and family more then a few times from several location.

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I'm very sorry about what happened to your grandmother, but that doesn't justify the actions of these hackers. Not in the slightest.

Hospitals still provide invaluable healthcare services and the software and date being held ransom are invaluable resources for them to look after patients- patients who may depend on the hospital's staff and resources to live another day, or to stay on their feet without collapsing.

I know there are instances where doctors and hospitals fail, but there are even more instances where they save lives, and all of us would do well to remember that. And it's not okay to hold a hospital's equipment ransom.

Never said it was justified anything

I hope the person that made these " Ransomware's " gets beat to death with a shovel and then stabbed a thousand times before slicing their throat.  

Of course giving a way to crack the Ransomware of course. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Personally, one

But the rest of my family has been to several others around NYC.

Heck, I've seen some doctor that work in their own building and don't even want to touch my sick siblings and just give us a prescription

That's NYC though, not everywhere else. There's more hospitals in Freedomland than that. I know you're experience is your experience, but you made it sound like it was a normal thing in Freedomland.

6 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

That's NYC though, not everywhere else. There's more hospitals in Freedomland than that. I know you're experience is your experience, but you made it sound like it was a normal thing in Freedomland.

I am just merely stating that as great as hospitals are, it isn't always sunshine and daisy there. Some people get outright declined any help from hospital because the lack of insurance coverage. 

As much as a hospital are interested in helping the general population, they are still a business where they need to keep a whack ton of equipment powered, employees to pay, etc, so money is also in their interest. 

I know what I said isn't true everywhere...but it isn't completely false either...and that is the part where it is kinda sh*tty. 

What did you expect?

Cyber security in most hospitals is laughable.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

jest makes this more believable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6gG-6Co_v4

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Is there something special about this hospital?

Private hospital for the exceptionally rich or something?

Just looking for a tiny morsel of a hint of what these mental larvae were motivated by. "Grim Robin Hood" is the only thing I could think of.

Edit: Due to the lack of sense this makes, I'm sure the US govt. are behind it to engineer a reason for a knee-jerk law AND to slam BitCoin in one swoop.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I am amazed it took this long, and frankly I won't be surprised when this starts happening more and more.  Barely anyone takes cybersecurity seriously.  All it does is cost money in the eyes of management; and when it works you can't tell, so obviously we don't need it.  I see more and more companies and soft targets like hospitals getting targeted like this.  These kinds of places can't afford to have their systems down, and most will likely pay simply to make it go away faster.

As a hospital IT this sounds so scary, knowing how easily something like this could happen.

3 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

Is there something special about this hospital?

Private hospital for the exceptionally rich or something?

Just looking for a tiny morsel of a hint of what these mental larvae were motivated by. "Grim Robin Hood" is the only thing I could think of.

Edit: Due to the lack of sense this makes, I'm sure the US govt. are behind it to engineer a reason for a knee-jerk law AND to slam BitCoin in one swoop.

Tin foil hats m8. That's a little ridiculous. About as ridiculous as blaming Bush for 9/11.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

28 minutes ago, christianled59 said:

Tin foil hats m8. That's a little ridiculous. About as ridiculous as blaming Bush for 9/11.

Wat. It wasn't Bush's fault? Next thing you'll tell me is Obama didn't kill Bin Laden.

6 hours ago, Kloaked said:

Wat. It wasn't Bush's fault? Next thing you'll tell me is Obama didn't kill Bin Laden.

Don't you read the papers m8? Obviously Paula Deen killed Ben Larsen

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Just now, christianled59 said:

Don't you read the papers m8? Obviously Paula Deen killed Ben Larsen

Diabeetus

13 hours ago, patrick3027 said:

What did you expect?

Cyber security in most hospitals is laughable.

Yeah... it's not as bad as seeing your doctor just Googling for your symptoms online though.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Isn't ransome ware just a virus? It infects what it can, regardless of who owns the computer. Or is it a targeted infection?

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)