Personal Rig Update 2015 Part 5 - The Final Deployment

@LinusTech

Just got done watching the finale on your channel. This video came to mind that i saw not to long ago for help with cable management. You could create Faux walls/panels to tuck your chords in. 

Enjoy. 

"Overdrive" | My Desktop PC:  Case: Corsair 750D | CPU:  I7-4790K | Motherboard:  Asus z97 Deluxe NFC & WLC | CPU Cooler: Corsair h100i Push Pull | Memory/Ram:  Corsair Dominator Platinum 32gb 1600mhz  OS Disk| SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250Gb ; Storage Disc:  HDD: 1 WD 3tb Black |  Graphics Card: EVGA 780Ti Superclocked  ACX | Corsair AXi 860w
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peripherals: Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Logitech G13 Gaming Keyboard | Mouse: Logitech G700s | Speakers: Logitech z506 | Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pro Medium | Monitors: ASUS Pro Art 248Q  | Calibration: Xrite i1 Display Pro | Printer: Coming Soon

I would love to know more about how to do the thunderbolt setup. Looks awesome being able to have all the gear in another room.

I was wondering, Linus used a 30m+ Thunderbolt cable for the I/O at the desk. Doesn't that affect the latency on the keyobard and mouse etc.?

"The Rusher" - Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro WiFi AC CPU: Intel i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Nepton 240m RAM: Gskill TridentX 16gb 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1060 6GB OC Edition Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250gb // WD Blue 1tb PSU: Silverstone Strider Gold 650w Case: Coolermaster CM 690 III Window + NZXT Blue LED's

47 minutes ago, Rushfriend said:

I was wondering, Linus used a 30m+ Thunderbolt cable for the I/O at the desk. Doesn't that affect the latency on the keyobard and mouse etc.?

yes i think so since he is using only 1 cable, plus it is really long, but for his purpose, it is fine, he is not going to do pro gaming anyways xD too bad for it

2 hours ago, gnaby2 said:

I think he was using a 16U i think he said.

Nope;

jrMxeGt.png

He's right below the 16 mark for his personal rig and there's tons more space above it in the next shot. It's half-rack cabinet, 24U.

Just now, EChondo said:

Nope;

jrMxeGt.png

He's right below the 16 mark for his personal rig and there's tons more space above it in the next shot. It's half-rack cabinet, 24U.

oh well xD was just asking anyways to play my perfect man cave, but gtg to sleep, i got a lot of machining to do for robotics until the end of the holydays

This is amazing, i would love to at least put my PC in a different room. I would be really interested in a latency test. 144 frames, 1440p+, 1000hz mouse

keyboard  + maybe usb sound and usb microphone... and then check the added latency from the thunderbold conversions. Maybe even with different cable lengths.

Distance is probably not gonna matter, but the monitor itself will use a lot of "data capacity" and all the stuff that usually has a dedicated cable now has to squeeze in between. So it's 2 additional conversions and data that has to wait that usually wouldn't wait. And if it all arrives in 1 pcie slot, doesn't that also influence how it's processed inside the cpu? Maybe less efficient? I don't know, that's why i would love to see it tested :)

I've been thinking about something like this for a while (years). That in the future you might not just buy a computer, but you're buy a system for the space that you live in, house or apartment. So in a house you might be two adults and two children. And you'd have all system in one spot and just extend one cable to all stations, and that cable would transfer audio, picture and peripherals. Basically just like Linus did. But we can't all have custom server-grade cases made.
So i'd like to see something like this build with off the shelf components for normal people.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 11:25 AM, CoryS said:

Ahh, that makes more sense. Does that mean it is limited to one GPU accelerated monitor? 

No, as DisplayPort also has Multi-Stream Transport (MST). Using MST, it can support two 4K (3840×2160) displays at 60 Hz, or up to four WQXGA (2560×1600) displays at 60Hz in 24-bit RGB mode.  I don't know about multiple G-Sync monitors on one thunderbolt cable, however.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

21 hours ago, MachStyle said:

Can anyone tell me what monitor Linus is using at home? That thing looks like a beast! 

I think it's the Acer Predator X34.

Titan: Intel Core i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB DDR4-2400 | ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 | OCZ Arc 100 2x256GB in RAID 0 | Seagate Barracuda 2x2TB in RAID 1

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Fractal Design Define R5 Titanium Window | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | ASUS BW-12B1ST

I would like to do something similar, I have a machine with 8 USB ports (half 3.0 and half 2.0) with 5 displays plugged in to it. My server rack is about 45 feet away. Can i use  the same hardware to accomplish my setup ? 

4 hours ago, RazrLeaf said:

I think it's the Acer Predator X34.

Sure is! after some digging through the ultra wide market (which didnt take long) I think Ive decided that that is the one to get. Gonna sell my current triple set up, or at least the main BenQ monitor and pick up one of those here later. Luckily the local micro center has a ton of those in stock.

If you dont get a 600$ Cable for free a 5m usb 3.0 Cable, a Hub and a 5m DP 1.2 Cable will probably do the job just as well.

But of course you are losing flexibility...

Would it be possible to use the thunderbolt IO together with unRaid, running 2 VM's, with one of the VM's with 2 monitors the other one 1.

Hey Linus,

I notice in the video that you got the rail in the wrong place for one of your rigs.

Pro tip: if you look at the cut outs you can easily work out where to put the rails as they are't evenly spaced (in most cabinets). The narrow gaps between the holes are the top/bottom of the 'U', See the (crappy) pic i drew below. I hope it helps

Rack U.png

On 17-2-2016 at 8:35 AM, nicklmg said:

Gotcha.

I mean, it's a home server. It's not like it's being put through the use that our work ones are. I'm not saying you're wrong to object, I'm just saying that it's probably not the end of the world.

Or is it? ..

On 2/18/2016 at 6:03 PM, RazrLeaf said:

No, as DisplayPort also has Multi-Stream Transport (MST). Using MST, it can support two 4K (3840×2160) displays at 60 Hz, or up to four WQXGA (2560×1600) displays at 60Hz in 24-bit RGB mode.  I don't know about multiple G-Sync monitors on one thunderbolt cable, however.

To be honest, with that one ultrawide, I don't think he'll need another G-Sync monitor. That one monitor should give him all the working room he needs.

On 2/18/2016 at 7:30 PM, nicolaj82 said:

I've been thinking about something like this for a while (years). That in the future you might not just buy a computer, but you're buy a system for the space that you live in, house or apartment. So in a house you might be two adults and two children. And you'd have all system in one spot and just extend one cable to all stations, and that cable would transfer audio, picture and peripherals. Basically just like Linus did. But we can't all have custom server-grade cases made.
So i'd like to see something like this build with off the shelf components for normal people.

That's a cool idea, kind of combining this with the 7 gamers one pc thing and running high speed VM's from a single server/pc in the house. And I guess you could allocate more performance to your rig than to the wife and kid's machines? So you spend a lot on one pc, but you get 4 or 5 machines out of it, maybe even build it, it's own little super ventilated closet in the house. I know for enthusiasts like most people on this forum it won't be appealing, but imagine packaging that from a consumer's point of view for you everyday household, I smell a business idea =) Any thoughts? 

On 2/19/2016 at 7:20 AM, MachStyle said:

Sure is! after some digging through the ultra wide market (which didnt take long) I think Ive decided that that is the one to get. Gonna sell my current triple set up, or at least the main BenQ monitor and pick up one of those here later. Luckily the local micro center has a ton of those in stock.

I've done some digging and comparing monitors on paper can only get you so far, so I went down to the local Virgin Mega Store here in Dubai and actually had a look at the different Ultrawide monitors, I like the predator and the LG, but I personally think the ASUS PG348Q is the best option on the market right now, I also realize that it might not be available yet in all countries, these Arab Sheikhs seem to get stuff in the country waaay earlier than other countries, and they keep it on the low (they've been selling the Samsung Galaxy S7 since the day before it's release, if you know what I mean), anyway, just have a look at the Asus monitor before buying the predator, I stood in front of both and there is a noticeable difference in quality and the overall look. (http://pcdiy.asus.com/2015/06/asus-34-ultrawide-qhd-ips-219-curved-g-sync-monitor/