PC3-12800

Go to solution Solved by sushisharkjl,
1 minute ago, alphamonkey said:

I am currently building a pc and I was wondering how a 16gb stick of ram would be pc3 12800
If the bandwidth is 12.8 gb for the ram then why would I get a stick that is 16 gb isn't it useless

For example if I have a 16gb stick of ram with the specification 1600 and PC3 12800 then wouldn't the peak data transfer rate be 12.8 gb and therefore the remaining gb on the 16gb stick be useless.

Please use general terms I am not a linus.

Bandwidth refers to the amount of data which can be transferred at once. You can use all 16gigs, you just can't update it all at once.

I am currently building a pc and I was wondering how a 16gb stick of ram would be pc3 12800
If the bandwidth is 12.8 gb for the ram then why would I get a stick that is 16 gb isn't it useless

For example if I have a 16gb stick of ram with the specification 1600 and PC3 12800 then wouldn't the peak data transfer rate be 12.8 gb and therefore the remaining gb on the 16gb stick be useless.

Bandwidth refers to the amount of data which can be transferred at once. You can use all 16gigs, you just can't update it all at once.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

14 minutes ago, sushisharkjl said:

so would that mean that the peak update rate of the ram is 12.8 gb or is that just the amount of data it can transfer at a time

Just now, alphamonkey said:

so would that mean that the peak update rate of the ram is 12.8 gb or is that just the amount of data it can transfer at a time

It's going to be able to transfer 12.8 gigs/sec.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

Just now, sushisharkjl said:

It's going to be able to transfer 12.8 gigs/sec.

meaning if i have a 16gb stick of ram that only 12.8gb can be updated in a sec however 16gb can me stored

meaning if i have a 16gb stick of ram that only 12.8gb can be updated in a sec however 16gb can me stored

Yup.

• 1 month later...

Is there any point getting higher stats than 12.8 for gaming? I think not, cause what game needs to put 12.8 GB/s, this stats is more fur editing videos and rendering, correct?

2 minutes ago, havarka said:

Is there any point getting higher stats than 12.8 for gaming? I think not, cause what game needs to put 12.8 GB/s, this stats is more fur editing videos and rendering, correct?

No, none whatsoever...