PSA: 390(x) and 290(x) crossfire does not play well together

afyeung

So today I had the chance to test out a bunch of games on my 390x/290 crossfire setup. Tomb raider ran simply amazing, scaling near 100% and no dips beneath 100fps at 1440p ultimate. However, basically all the other games I tried forced my PC to blue screen or had some form of flickering. I tried to keep the clocks the same(both 1100 core and 1625 mem), which played out well for benchmarks, but games hated it. Basically, I am sorry if I misled anyone or gave people the wrong information. If you have a friend who's looking to do this, don't recommend it if you are actually friends lol. Somebody on Tom's HW also had a MSI 390x and 290, and he was having scaling issues so MSI replaced the 290 with a 390x http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2788681/crossfire-390x-8gb-290-4gb.html Hopefully they'll do the same for me but I have the HG10 on my 290 and don't have the stock cooler anymore. Wish me luck! :) 

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Would it be wrong if I used

in this case?

Sort of wrong. Because cross gen cards with the same chip has worked before. And AMD did advertise it as working.

Just now, afyeung said:

Sort of wrong. Because cross gen cards with the same chip has worked before. And AMD did advertise it as working.

Honestly, it might just be how you have it set up. The 290X/390X, outside of clock speeds, has 256 more shader cores than the 290/390 so it would be something to take into consideration.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Hm, it worked pretty well for me and scaled to ~1.75 the performance of a single 390x. Stuttering was an issue though.

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

That's like putting  a left wing liberal and a far right conservative in a marriage together. The kids try to sleep at night while they argue, insult, and belittle each other. The parents try to hide the tension in front of the kids but they know there's an issue. The kids wonder if it's their fault because the parents arent very forthcoming with them. Why won't mommy and daddy stop fighting they ask. Why can't they just love me. 

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Honestly, it might just be how you have it set up. The 290X/390X, outside of clock speeds, has 256 more shader cores than the 290/390 so it would be something to take into consideration.

290x and 290 crossfire worked just fine. Might be the VRAM difference. 

Just now, thatguyyouknow75 said:

That's like putting  a left wing liberal and a far right conservative in a marriage together. The kids try to sleep at night while they argue, insult, and belittle each other. The parents try to hide the tension in front of the kids but they know there's an issue. The kids wonder if it's their fault because the parents arent very forthcoming with them. Why won't mommy and daddy stop fighting they ask. Why can't they just love me. 

wtf lol

2 minutes ago, sushisharkjl said:

Hm, it worked pretty well for me and scaled to ~1.75 the performance of before. Stuttering was an issue though.

Pics of your rig? 

10 minutes ago, afyeung said:

Pics of your rig? 

Not at home RN, and I sold the 290x after it started artefacting/crapping out on its own but I might be able to find a pic.

EDIT: RIP can't find any. Here's my current setup though and the crapped 290x not in it. http://imgur.com/a/Rdwp3

Primary Build: i7-4790 · 16GB Hynix DDR3-1600 · Sapphire Tri-X R9 390x · NZXT S340 · Win10 Pro · Seagate Barracuda 1TB T_T

Portable: 2015 Retina Macbook Pro 13" · i5-5257u · 512GB PCIe SSD · Intel Iris 6100 T_T

If my post helped you, please rate it!

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Chances are, it probably is that. Or drivers.

Latest 16.1.1 drivers. But it also might be riva tuner. I'll have to try with that disabled. 

I would be curious if these problems persisted if you crossed the 290x 8GB version with the 390x. I'm wondering if that difference in memory is the culprit. Other than that, they're identical chips.

Just now, Lotus said:

I would be curious if these problems persisted if you crossed the 290x 8GB version with the 390x. I'm wondering if that difference in memory is the culprit. Other than that, they're identical chips.

You're right. Either way I'm giving up on it if the issue isn't riva tuner. 

Try flashing the 390x to a 290x?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.