Gigabyte replacing my R9 280x for an R9 380 G1 4G?

jpnmusic2
Go to solution Solved by Kryptyx,

Yeah, I would pressure them into giving you a 380X. Usually people get upgraded going through RMA, not downgraded lol.

Hello. I'm going to keep this short. Basically, Gigabyte is offering to trade my R9 280x Rev 3.0 for an R9 380 G1 Gaming 4G. It is my 4th RMA. Is it worth it? From what I can see, my R9 280x is technically faster, and I honestly only care about ingame performance, so stuff like lower power draw and other things aren't really important in my case. I'll also be playing only at 1080p, so the 1GB isn't that worth it considering I don't play games like Far Cry 4, etc. 

My card: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5266#ov

Card they offer: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5462&kw=GV-R938G1%20GAMING-4GD#ov

What do I do?

Main PC: Intel i7-860 and Asus P7P55D-E LX (both for 15$) | Mismatched 7GB | WD10EZEX | ZOTAC GTX 1060 3GB | Antec EA500 (20$)

You should demand a 380X. A 380 should be slower, but it's newer so it's not that big of a downgrade. Advice: Don't buy Gigabyte AMD cards next time. Or Asus. They're bad.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Yeah, I would pressure them into giving you a 380X. Usually people get upgraded going through RMA, not downgraded lol.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

Just now, Kryptyx said:

I definitely agree. I just watched this video here and it seems like the 380 is very clearly slower than the 280x. There's no reason they should be downgrading your graphics card lol.

My ~$200 USD build:

AMD A8-7600    G. Skill Ripjaws Z @1800 CAS 8     EVGA 500w 80+ PSU    Gigabyte GAF2A68HM-DS2H Motherboard

I would never do that trade. I'd definitely haggle or nothing here.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

24 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

I'm going to do that when I get home then lol. And yeah. Usually when I see RMA stories it ends with an upgrade. In my case, it's an RMA after another. I've had the card since August, so ~6 months, and for 3 months (3 weeks for each RMA for ship and ship back) I didn't have any bloody GPU, and they want to downgrade after that? lol talk about bull.. So basically I should ask for an R9 380X? I feel like aiming higher, but I don't know. I still wasted 3 months because of their incompetence of doing proper QC. Also, I had to pay 10$ for Customs and 30$ for the first RMA for the shipping. I could've got a much better card for the expenses + worth of the GPU...

Main PC: Intel i7-860 and Asus P7P55D-E LX (both for 15$) | Mismatched 7GB | WD10EZEX | ZOTAC GTX 1060 3GB | Antec EA500 (20$)

Or just ask them for R9 390 because you had to pay for RMA shipment + you have been without GPU for long time because of all those RMAs that you had.

http://www.hwcompare.com/29485/radeon-r9-280x-vs-radeon-r9-380x/

Show them this and demand R9 390 xD

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

4 RMA's? I would seriously consider that it's something in your Computer that is killing these cards, I'm sure gigabyte are thinking this too, hence them only offering you a 380 replacement.

You may want to get your PSU and your Mobo checked out, before throwing another graphics card in.......4 RMA's in a row, no one is that unlucky surely, either that or they are sending you back the same card...so called having been "fixed".

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

2 minutes ago, super_skank said:

4 RMA's? I would seriously consider that it's something in your Computer that is killing these cards, I'm sure gigabyte are thinking this too, hence them only offering you a 380 replacement.

You may want to get your PSU and your Mobo checked out, before throwing another graphics card in.......4 RMA's in a row, no one is that unlucky surely, either that or they are sending you back the same card...so called having been "fixed".

It's always the fans that's having the same issue; loud rattling noise when gaming. How is it my motherboard or PSU? I've tested on a different motherboard and PSU, yet the problem is still there. I would've just sold and bought a new motherboard/psu if that was actually the case. And how can you say that no one is that unlucky if I am the unlucky one lol. I really hate my situation. I've been going with and without graphics card for 6 months now. 

is the motherboard mounted properly? i have have seen cases where the mounting point around the PCIE slot and the motherboard has sagged and the weight of the card has caused vibrations and cause the cards to fail. 

This has been on the none standard ATX boards that are not as wide as the standard ATX, and don't get the proper support on the back end of the board.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Just now, super_skank said:

is the motherboard mounted properly, i have have seen cases where the mounting point around the PCIE slot and the motherboard has sagged and the weight of the card has caused vibrations and cause the cards to fail. 

This has been on the none standard ATX boards that are not as wide as the standard ATX, and don't get the proper support on the back end of the board.

I always double check to make sure the motherboard is properly mounted and secured. Also, I've tried it with the case on it's side (so no way the motherboard can sag) and the normal position. I tested it on a MSI Z97 PC Mate and on a MSI Z97-G45, and the issue is still there. I'm not inventing anything. I know how things works and it shouldn't be a problem. My power supply is a Corsair HX650, so it's more than enough for the graphics card. Honestly it's the card. I've seen on forums that many people also had problems with Gigabyte and their R9 200 series cards. 

1 minute ago, jpnmusic2 said:

I always double check to make sure the motherboard is properly mounted and secured. Also, I've tried it with the case on it's side (so no way the motherboard can sag) and the normal position. I tested it on a MSI Z97 PC Mate and on a MSI Z97-G45, and the issue is still there. I'm not inventing anything. I know how things works and it shouldn't be a problem. My power supply is a Corsair HX650, so it's more than enough for the graphics card. Honestly it's the card. I've seen on forums that many people also had problems with Gigabyte and their R9 200 series cards. 

The HX series isn't tooooo good afaik... Also, Gigabyte AMD cards starting from the 200 series are shit.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

We'll if i was you, I'd presure them of the the 380x, when you get it, sell it and get a sapphire card.

3 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

The HX series isn't tooooo good afaik... Also, Gigabyte AMD cards starting from the 200 series are shit.

It's a Tier two PSU, how is it not too good? Also, that's what I heard about the 200 series so yeah. But even then, to get to the 4th RMA isn't normal.. 
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

1 minute ago, super_skank said:

We'll if i was you, I'd presure them of the the 380x, when you get it, sell it and get a sapphire card.

Honestly even the R9 380x isn't better than the R9 280x in most case. You can see that in many circumstances the R9 280x dominates over the R9 380x. In SOME cases though, it's the opposite, but in general, the R9 280x is the winner. I'd rather pressure them for an R9 390, since that's the only upgrade that makes sense considering performance. I will see though. I really don't want/have money to waste for replacement so. 

3 minutes ago, jpnmusic2 said:

It's a Tier two PSU, how is it not too good? Also, that's what I heard about the 200 series so yeah. But even then, to get to the 4th RMA isn't normal.. 
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Corsair HX isn't in that list according to crtl + F.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Just now, TheRandomness said:

Corsair HX isn't in that list according to crtl + F.

Oh? Well, here's one with the HX. It's Tier Two Class A, which makes them excellent, if not better than Tier One. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2016 at 9:59 PM, super_skank said:

I had 3 RMAs with the same piece of shit R9 280X as the OP - brand new out of the box defective

payed the difference and upgraded to GTX970 G1 - never looked back

I'd actually ask for a 390 or a 970, that's bullshit that you have had to spend so much time screwing around with them on your 280x. 380x is a downgrade too.