HD 598's is a waste

Mrkiller606

I've got the HD 598's for christmas and from using them for 2 months along side my CX 3.00 earbuds they sound almost close and in some ways the CX 3.00 sounds better. I have done close listening and came to a conclusion that it's better to buy some sennheisers that are cheaper like the HD 558 or HD 518's don't waste your money on the HD 598's

Opinions are like ass holes, everyone has them...

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

2 minutes ago, Mrkiller606 said:

I've got the HD 598's for christmas and from using them for 2 months along side my CX 3.00 earbuds they sound almost close and in some ways the CX 3.00 sounds better. I have done close listening and came to a conclusion that it's better to buy some sennheisers that are cheaper like the HD 558 or HD 518's don't waste your money on the HD 598's

Then you might as well accept that other people have come to other opinions ... for other reasons.
EDIT: If reviewing a product you should be free of any bias (as much as possible). Your problem might have been that you had expected a whole new world to blow up in your ears with the 598s coming from the CX 3.00 but you can't really reinvent the wheel with speakers (anymore?) The point is that they are different way different as well as the 598s are way different than 518s or 558 contrary to what some reviewers might have said ...
I

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

HD 598's are a waste. And no, they're not.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

Send me then ;) I can help you get rid of it

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

3 minutes ago, I need a better name said:

and they're mostly full of shit

or fingers #fingerinthebootyassbitch

1 minute ago, RuLeZ said:

Send me them ;) I can help you get rid of it

not sketchy at all

This has been the case since the HD 598's came out, it's called "premium pricing" there identical to the HD 558 besides some foam. You either get the HD 558's or the HD 600's.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

1 minute ago, Fluffinator said:

This has been the case since the HD 598's came out, it's called "premium pricing" there identical to the HD 558 besides some foam. You either get the HD 558's or the HD 600's.

Ever listened to the side by side?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                

9 minutes ago, Mrkiller606 said:

are you using a dac/amp??

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

3 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

Ever listened to the side by side?

I have a pair of HD 600's, a friend of mine bought the HD 598's before I bought ming, I listened to his and made my other friend buy the HD 558's (because he was short on cash), the HD 558/598 jump is very small while the jump to the HD 600 is a major improvement, it's not that it sounds "awful" it's just that the jump in quality is so small and they sound so similar it's not worth the price increase, and you should be looking at something else such as DT 990/880, K7xxx etc.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

2 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

are you using a dac/amp??

This is a very important question. I could not tell the difference between my Klipsch ear buds and my brother's HD 598's with the audio from my phone and my computer, but when he brought the DAC he uses it made a big difference (in detail and quality.) 

I used to be quite active here.

2 minutes ago, Fluffinator said:

I have a pair of HD 600's, a friend of mine bought the HD 598's before I bought ming, I listened to his and made my other friend buy the HD 558's (because he was short on cash), the HD 558/598 jump is very small while the jump to the HD 600 is a major improvement, it's not that it sounds "awful" it's just that the jump in quality is so small and they sound so similar it's not worth the price increase, and you should be looking at something else such as DT 990/880, K7xxx etc.

I didn't find them to be to similar. Same dip in the treble that Senheisers have but other than that completely different headphones in sound.

EDIT: Then again could be my ears so whatever.

3.Use

8 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

This is a very important question. I could not tell the difference between my Klipsch ear buds and my brother's HD 598's with the audio from my phone and my computer, but when he brought the DAC he uses it made a big difference (in detail and quality.) 

It's actually not possible for a DAC to improve sound quality that's called snake oil, however a AMP is a different story (however a very small difference so don't think it was that.

Just now, Fluffinator said:

It's actually not possible for a DAC to improve sound quality that's called snack oil, however a AMP is a different story.

My phone sounds horrible in general. Also, last I checked, an amp just amplifies audio. 

I used to be quite active here.

9 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

My phone sounds horrible in general. Also, last I checked, an amp just amplifies audio. 

It's much more than that, why do you think they make "Tube Amps" this is an extreme example but you get the picture, different AMP's can change the sound while DACs can not (in this case), as a DAC's job is to only translate Digital to Analog, and if there's no problems then it's doing it's job correctly.

598's do sound different although slightly.. There def worth it if you get them on sale. Which they go on sale all the damn time.

8 minutes ago, Fluffinator said:

It's actually not possible for a DAC to improve sound quality that's called snack oil, however a AMP is a different story (however a very small difference so don't think it was that.

It's called snake oil, and yes, a DAC can improve audio quality. Just put your nice headphones on an old motherboard's integrated audio or a cheap phone and prepare to cringe. There is a point where higher end DACs don't matter as much, though, due to diminishing returns (i.e. 32-bit DACs).

1 minute ago, klefth said:

It's called snake oil, and yes, a DAC can improve audio quality. Just put your nice headphone on an old motherboard's integrated audio or a cheap phone and prepare to cringe. There is a point where higher end DACs don't matter as much, though, due to diminishing returns (i.e. 32-bit DACs).

lol auto correct, and no not really, I can plug my $800 headphones into my motherboard and they sound fine so.

Well the CX 3.00 is a bass type in ear, so I guess that you are a basshead and open back headphones are not something bassheads should get. Just stay at closed back headphones and look for headphones with a V signature sound or just some with warm sound, and since when are 150$ cheap? just because you don't like the sound signature doesn't mean they are shit, if you want to call headphones bad find some with sloppy/moddy bass and with no highs at all, then you can call them a waste of money, but even then some people might like them.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

16 minutes ago, Fluffinator said:

lol auto correct, and no not really, I can plug my $800 headphones into my motherboard and they sound fine so.

Current boards are fine. Hence I said old ones, with shitty DACs. They made anything sound like you were listening from the bottom of a can.