FreeNas vs RockStor

Hey

While watching this video: 

I realized he was recommanding RockStor for the free Nas OS. However, I heard FreeNas is famous for the NAS OS..

Which one would you choose/prefer?

Thanks

I have used FreeNAS and UNRAID and I would reccomend either if you intend to run plugins/vms/other applications. If you plan to just have storage and file shares than I would say go with FreeNAS because it uses ZFS which is more reliable. Plugins on UNRAID do however run better, FreeNAS is pretty buggy.

what are you using it for? hardware?

FreeNAS is very very very nice, but requires a decent amount of hardware to run.

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

Hey, Thanks all for the reply.

37 minutes ago, Cvdasfg said:

what are you using it for? hardware?

FreeNAS is very very very nice, but requires a decent amount of hardware to run.

I am planning to use them as mainly for backup and archive.

I am planning to have Pentium to i3. Also for Ram, maybe 4GB, but I will upgrade to 8gb if necessery.

51 minutes ago, Bgordy2013 said:

I have used FreeNAS and UNRAID and I would reccomend either if you intend to run plugins/vms/other applications. If you plan to just have storage and file shares than I would say go with FreeNAS because it uses ZFS which is more reliable. Plugins on UNRAID do however run better, FreeNAS is pretty buggy.

I believe Unraid is better because it is "paid" so it will be more "premium". However, I am planning to build them for home at low cost. So that is why I am comparing two free NAS OS, FreeNas and Rockstor.

Thanks,

~gid

Just now, gidonyou said:

I am planning to have Pentium to i3. Also for Ram, maybe 4GB, but I will upgrade to 8gb if necessery.

I believe Unraid is better because it is "paid" so it will be more "premium". However, I am planning to build them for home at low cost. So that is why I am comparing two free NAS OS, FreeNas and Rockstor.

Thanks,

~gid

freenas is NOT for you then. 

It wont run well at all with that specs.

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

1 minute ago, Cvdasfg said:

freenas is NOT for you then. 

It wont run well at all with that specs.

Any recommendation then?

8 minutes ago, gidonyou said:

Any recommendation then?

Unraid would be good. 

2 minutes ago, Cvdasfg said:

Unraid would be good. 

As I mentioned above, I like it to be "free" to begin with.. 

Thanks

12 minutes ago, gidonyou said:

Thanks

Then honestly idk. someone else gonna have to help you there. Freenas, windows server, and unraid are the only three that I have found to be worthwhile. 

Rockstor will be a good option for you given your specs. You can check out the quickstart guide for minimum system requirements installation instructions etc. : http://rockstor.com/docs/quickstart.html#minimum-system-requirements.  As mentioned above UnRaid is not free.  Rockstor offers similar capability as UnRaid, which is, the ease of adding disks of different sizes and flexibility with redundancy, but Rockstor is open source and free.

With Rockstor, you have access to advanced BTRFS  Copy-on-write features including Snapshots, data self-healing, compression and other features make it an appealing solution for backups and secondary data storage. Rockstor also provides docker based application hosting framework (called Rock-ons) and APIs to extend functionality. The result is a powerful cloud platform that you could configure for specific use cases with total control.

Give it a try and see if it works for you. Visit http://forum.rockstor.com if you have questions.

I came across this example build using Rockstor.  This build exceeds your needs, but worth a look.  

https://www.rossfisher.me/2015/12/rockstor-build-planning-post/

Rockstor documentation has more build examples.  I came across some people talking about Rockstor on Reddit.  Seems very positive.

https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/3jj44l/rockstor_the_btrfs_freenas/

@gidonyouI'm currently playing around with OpenMediaVault, might be worth a look as well. Based on Debian, so the underlying basis is very solid. And yes, it is free, and should easily run on your hardware. RockStor is also on my list of things to try though, so don't let me stop you from that.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

• 2 months later...
On February 9, 2016 at 0:58 PM, gidonyou said:

Thanks,

~gid

I setup and ran a 2 TB 4-drive FreeNAS box on similar specs, and it ran just fine.  It IS memory hungry, so the more the better, but it is definitely driven by the amount of storage you plan to support.

That said, I'm not done researching yet, and am going to try RockStor and OpenMediaVault, too.  I have an existing Synology 2-bay enclosure, the ease of use of Synology is looking hard to match with these alternatives.

On 2/9/2016 at 11:13 AM, gidonyou said:

Thanks

Install ubuntu server or centos. Install samba and add a share. Mount your drives and setup drives with MD or btrfs.

File server.

If you want vm install proxmox on ubuntu/debian or ovirt on centos/fedora server.

• 9 months later...

I know I'm late to the party and you probably already have a solution, but I'm surprised no one mentioned nas4free

I believe it's based on earlier version of freeNAS, but I'm not sure.

At any rate, I've had great success

I tried freeNAS originally and it just was too resource intensive.  I was using a 3ghz Core Duo (not even a core2duo - this is an old one) with 6gb ram.  I was able to run Plex and transmission - but it didn't perform well.  Direct file transfers weren't bad, but it couldn't transcode at all.

Then I found nas4free

With Plex and Transmission running (but nothing actively transcoding) it's showing 0% cpu.  freeNAS did't do that.  Right now it shows I'm at 84% of my 6gb ram, but I've seen it lower. 

I am able to transcode most 1080p videos on the fly without stutter, and with pretty quick startup.

http://www.nas4free.org/

I actually came here because I was trying to find a comparison of Rockstor to nas4free, so I couldn't tell you which will work better

Did you ever get your system going?  What did you choose?

• 6 months later...
On 2/10/2016 at 11:56 AM, gidonyou said:

Hey

While watching this video: 

I realized he was recommanding RockStor for the free Nas OS. However, I heard FreeNas is famous for the NAS OS..

Which one would you choose/prefer?

Thanks

what do you know about Open Media Vault for Linux- it is highly recommended on a lot of sites.?