Why do some earphones not have freq range of up to 20khz?

applesuxD
Go to solution Solved by SSL,

Frequency range specs are useless, so I wouldn't read too much into the numbers. Most of the time, frequency range specs are used to enforce prestige pricing; i.e. a manufacturer wants to differentiate SKUs in a product line.

Because differences in audio gear is often very hard to objectively define, this leaves the marketing department of a company with few options but to basically pull specs out of their asses. Normally this means rounding the numbers up so that more expensive products look worth the money; but it can also mean making less expensive products look worse so that the more profitable ones look more attractive.

In the even that a headphone actually only goes up to 16-18kHz, this could just be a side effect of using cheap parts to hit a price point. The extremes of the audible spectrum are the hardest to reproduce, so they are often the first to go in a low quality product. It could also be an intentional compromise, designed to avoid distortion due to driver break-up that would sound even worse than a simple roll-off. As others have pointed out, the music that most people listen to has been degraded by lossy compression schemes that discard the high frequencies anyway.

I see earphone brands selling earphones in a freq range of only up to 18khz, 16khz.. and that begs the question

why not 20khz?

Is it the music? like do normal music not need such?

Is it some way to make a sound signature...?

i get rather confused on this

educate me dear techies

-applehaterinconfusion

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

Generally people say that humans can hear from 20hz to 20khz. Also, specs like "frequency range" is generally useless. A frequency response graph would be more useful. But at least for headphones, measuring sounds at such high frequencies can get gnarly as well.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you're missing out on much if some earphone cuts off at 18khz.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

because its cheaper to build something that does 16khz than 20khz

and 99% of people wont notice anyway

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

btw this is 128kbps MP3:

Guide-MP3-V2.jpg

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yeah, I just popped a song just like the picture you showed. Well... some tracks are only available in pretty compressed MP3, life is not perfect.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

5 minutes ago, Dark_wizzie said:

Generally people say that humans can hear from 20hz to 20khz. Also, specs like "frequency range" is generally useless. A frequency response graph would be more useful. But at least for headphones, measuring sounds at such high frequencies can get gnarly as well.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you're missing out on much if some earphone cuts off at 18khz.

:o

what about 16khz

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

8 minutes ago, applesuxD said:

:o

what about 16khz

I think it depends on the track, but I think a person listening closely could tell a difference. If you're buying earphones that are that cheap, it's probably not such a big deal in the first place.

It's not like having things after 16khz cut off would be the only problem with those earphones. Wonky frequency response, higher distortion, those things would probably matter more. But once again, that spec is kind of meaningless in the first place.

While theoretically human hearing goes up to 20khz, even as early as your late teens you can start losing the upper most frequencies of your hearing range.  One of the ways lossy compression methods work is using a low-pass filter, which will basically cut anything off past 17khz.  Besides, most of the data in the upper most frequencies are just noise

I haven't tested myself in a while, but I think I literally can't hear anything past 17khz.  I think if you ran a low-pass filter on a lossless file most people wouldn't be able to tell a difference (is that even possible?).

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

1 minute ago, Pomfinator said:

While theoretically human hearing goes up to 20khz, even as early as your late teens you can start losing the upper most frequencies of your hearing range.  One of the ways lossy compression methods work is using a low-pass filter, which will basically cut anything off past 17khz.

Hmm, well said. My hearing is similar to yours.

Frequency range specs are useless, so I wouldn't read too much into the numbers. Most of the time, frequency range specs are used to enforce prestige pricing; i.e. a manufacturer wants to differentiate SKUs in a product line.

Because differences in audio gear is often very hard to objectively define, this leaves the marketing department of a company with few options but to basically pull specs out of their asses. Normally this means rounding the numbers up so that more expensive products look worth the money; but it can also mean making less expensive products look worse so that the more profitable ones look more attractive.

In the even that a headphone actually only goes up to 16-18kHz, this could just be a side effect of using cheap parts to hit a price point. The extremes of the audible spectrum are the hardest to reproduce, so they are often the first to go in a low quality product. It could also be an intentional compromise, designed to avoid distortion due to driver break-up that would sound even worse than a simple roll-off. As others have pointed out, the music that most people listen to has been degraded by lossy compression schemes that discard the high frequencies anyway.