Intel

HI i'm not that experienced with tech yet but am wishing to understand more (feel free to call me a noob for asking this question) but I was wondering why Intel seems to change their sockets so often? I know this is a common question I can probably research but I feel the users on these forums are more reliable and trustworthy. Is it because Intel wants to make more money of Motherboards and in general or because the newer technology requires them too?

I would say its a little bit of both.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Probably for motherboard manufacturers to be able to make more money, since if you upgrade, you are almost always going to require a change of motherboards. I understand why they did this for the Z170 and X99 chipsets, since they have DDR4 support, but otherwise it's not very convenient to change the socket so often.

~` please , don't let my whole life burn down `~

- why can't i just focus right now? -

; i'm tired ;

If the new features of the chipset are limited to the new CPU's, it's easier for customers to identify it by socketnumber. Instead of having to check compatibility lists.

Ofcouse you can explain everything with suspisciousness. But it's not a very interesting argument.

They change they socket pin layout to force board manufactures to use the current tech for that specific socket, if it were up to board manufactures they would put the least amount for the most amount of money and use older technology and make money on it. but intel sets the standard and uses the socket to get them all inline.

Please Quote so i know you have replied. | If we have provided a solution to your problem mark it with answer found.

And also please read the COC and avoid the embarrassment and lecture that will ensue.