Where will you go after Windows 10?

XDroidie626

So windows is getting rather pushy these days, forcing people to upgrade, it is also from reading the least private OS on the market.

Plus it seems there is still a lot of bugs in the system, AND I expect at some point they will make it SaaS (Subscription model).

So if this happens will you stick with Windows? Or jump ship to OSX or Linux, or something else?

What are you plans?

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

We need a revolutionary Linux build,  with amazing compatibility.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

We do we do, but not something like Windows

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

if i need to pay for something i already paid for im leaving windows probably, or pirating, i dont give a crap if they see every last file on my computer at all, i have nothing to hide. IF they make it a subscription model im probably moving to Linux because there are some really nice flavors out there like Ubuntu but for now i love windows 10 because its awesome :)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Personally I see Android as a legitimate contender in the pc market in a few years. Which lets face it, Win 10 will probably last at least 4..

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Just now, Dzzope said:

Personally I see Android as a legitimate contender in the pc market in a few years. Which lets face it, Win 10 will probably last at least 4..

That or Chrome OS will merge some how with Android and make googles unified OS, hopefully we will see more ARM laptops then.

2 minutes ago, XDroidie626 said:

That or Chrome OS will merge some how with Android and make googles unified OS, hopefully we will see more ARM laptops then.

I want this because then I can play Hearthstone on my Chromebook.

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

if i need to pay for something i already paid for im leaving windows probably, or pirating, i dont give a crap if they see every last file on my computer at all, i have nothing to hide. IF they make it a subscription model im probably moving to Linux because there are some really nice flavors out there like Ubuntu but for now i love windows 10 because its awesome :)

If I could get Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects and good game support from Linux it would be my 24/7.

I can see Microsoft and other companies slowly moving everything to the cloud so that there's no HDD/SDD on the clients end and all information(including the OS) must be logged into from the internet.  This idea scares me and if it happens I will fight it to the death.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i dont give a crap if they see every last file on my computer at all, i have nothing to hide.

thats like saying you dont care about free speech because you have nothing to say... and the stupiest reason to allow MS to track everything in their OS.

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

If I could get Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects and good game support from Linux it would be my 24/7.

I can see Microsoft and other companies slowly moving everything to the cloud so that there's no HDD/SDD on the clients end and all information(including the OS) must be logged into from the internet.  This idea scares me and if it happens I will fight it to the death.

yah im against everything being in the cloud, thats basically someone else owning your data... that is really scary

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Stick with windows as it works flawlessly for me. Unless they force me to pay for it :P Then gonna join the #consolemasterrace!

I need S340. But more Define S'ish

1 minute ago, Minsekt said:

thats like saying you dont care about free speech because you have nothing to say... and the stupiest reason to allow MS to track everything in their OS.

having someone know what you have and freely expressing yourself is not the same thing, i get your point but still

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

The problem with that is the actual internet connection, sure chrome OS is close to that with basically a read only system, but we still need some sort of storage device and as far as I can see we always will.

Also do you really think windows will ever be online if they did this? the amount of the updates and restarts would be insane!

Keep using it. Every new OS is gonna have teething issues, that's a normal part of a new operating system.

I would probably just stick with Windows, I don't really care that they can see everything on my computer. Hell, anyone can see whats on your computer if they really want to so why does it even matter? Only way I would switch from something other than Windows is if something els came out that was completely mind blowing and user friendly towards nearly everything that's out there. There's bugs with everything that comes out. That's what most people don't remember. Like Windows 7, everyone wants to praise it as being the best OS released yet half these people probably don't remember when it first came out it wasn't much better than Vista, they did major updates to it to make it what it is today. Give it a year or two and Windows 10 will replace Windows 7 in your heart. Just deal with what your given. If you don't like it then get off your lazy ass and make your own. 

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

9 minutes ago, XDroidie626 said:

The problem with that is the actual internet connection, sure chrome OS is close to that with basically a read only system, but we still need some sort of storage device and as far as I can see we always will.

Also do you really think windows will ever be online if they did this? the amount of the updates and restarts would be insane!

Well, you'll have a BIOS that must be set to connect to a network drive over the internet.  That BIOS chip will have the network address of your OS hard coded so that to access the operating system it has to connect to it's specific network drive.  Within 10 years internet will be so widespread and fast that this will be but a miniscule task.

It can all just happen too easily and the majority of consumers aren't savy enough to understand and care.

34 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

That would be perfect, I was using Linux for about three years straight and then went back to Windows. And wihle it's nice, but I'd like to go back to Linux if ther were more compatibility with the software I use for school.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

When Win8 was released it already became clear to me that MS was heading in a direction I really didn't like.  That's when I stopped "occasionally messing around" with Linux and started using it more and more. 

Nowadays my main OS is Linux Mint.  I occasionally still boot into my Vista or Win7 installs for gaming, but even then any browsing etc is done inside a Linux VM.  GTA Online probably won't keep me occupied until 2020 and my other games are all 100% Linux-compatible, so I'll have moved completely from Windows before Win7 hits End of Life.

I think personally I will have moved to Linux fully soon, just a bit hooked on fallout.

Well when I say fully my work laptop needs Windows unfortunately :\ and its only going to get worse when they upgrade to W10, if it was up to me it would be running Debian or CentOS.

I don't actually think ill get another real desktop, I love using my chromebook and I can dock that, so may just get something like a Pixel 2 or what ever it is at the time.

Least I can have crouton in the background when I need it.

4 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Well, you'll have a BIOS that must be set to connect to a network drive over the internet.  That BIOS chip will have the network address of your OS hard coded so that to access the operating system it has to connect to it's specific network drive.  Within 10 years internet will be so widespread and fast that this will be but a miniscule task.

It can all just happen too easily and the majority of consumers aren't savy enough to understand and care.

And... what happens when you replace the hardware your BIOS is in? Guess you lose you drive then, right? Mind you, by that time someone will have created a network address spoofer that works on the machines released then, and will have stolen everyone's data by changing their network address, connecting to someone else's drive, and downloading everything.

So yeah, no problem with cloud only storage here. Looks fine to have nothing stored locally too for those times when your internet goes down.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 hour ago, kirashi said:

And... what happens when you replace the hardware your BIOS is in? Guess you lose you drive then, right? Mind you, by that time someone will have created a network address spoofer that works on the machines released then, and will have stolen everyone's data by changing their network address, connecting to someone else's drive, and downloading everything.

So yeah, no problem with cloud only storage here. Looks fine to have nothing stored locally too for those times when your internet goes down.

When you remote into a computer, you're using the host computers hardware, so you'd only need a device capable of streaming and would have no reason to upgrade any of the components on your end. You would just buy another device since it would be low spec and cheap. Also, I don't know where you get the idea the drive would just delete itself, if the client hardware mismatches authentication it just won't let you log in.  If multiple attempts are failed it will alert the assigned user via SMS and email.

Authentication is already advanced enough for individual devices to be assigned a single network storage address and the client hardware could even include biometric scanners to add another level of authentication.

All the technology for this to happen already exists, the only thing not ready for this is the current state of high speed internet.  It's coverage is not vast enough and it's not universally fast enough, but it will be.

I think there's one called alteratio, just use the built in theme changer to change the theme to Sudow7 ( looks like windows 7)

So windows is getting rather pushy these days, forcing people to upgrade, it is also from reading the least private OS on the market.

Plus it seems there is still a lot of bugs in the system, AND I expect at some point they will make it SaaS (Subscription model).

So if this happens will you stick with Windows? Or jump ship to OSX or Linux, or something else?

What are you plans?

Probably getting a mac so that I can have better compatibility with some software ( ps. It can also run photoshop) unless if Microsoft only requires one time purchase ( not subscription) I will stay with Windows otherwise would be switching to a mac.

14 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

I think there's one called alteratio, just use the built in theme changer to change the theme to Sudow7 ( looks like windows 7)

I was speaking more in terms of a revolution of accepted Linux OS standards in such a way that more mainstream developers(adobe and game devs) can support it.

I haven't heard of alteratio though, I need to check it out.  I still have a laptop that I use Zorin on, but for my desktop that I use for rendering, I'm obligated to use Windows.

6 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

I was speaking more in terms of a revolution of accepted Linux OS standards in such a way that more mainstream developers(adobe and game devs) can support it.

I haven't heard of alteratio though, I need to check it out.  I still have a laptop that I use Zorin on, but for my desktop that I use for rendering, I'm obligated to use Windows.

http://alteratio.x10host.com/

the download link is down though, i have a copy of sudows 7 though