Why do the majority of people prefer Nvidia over AMD?

Consta

I need opinions on the subject, personal experiences you had with both sides, I am in no conflict of choice between the two brands whatsoever; I would simply like to hear why green is most of the time in the front lines whilst red is the "if you can't afford Nvidia" option.

Thoughts?

Nvidia's high end cards are technically better most of the time, also maybe marketing is better? I'm not sure however, it's not AMD vs Intel.

Long story short, lots of more fanboys on team Green than team Red, and marketing.

That doesn't make team Red's fanboys any better.

AMD does a shit job at marketing. Nvidia does a great job at it.

With the exception of the 980 Ti, Nvidia's cards aren't too competitive unless you play x game.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Game support IE Nvidia Gameworks, plus its just a better GPU, i have a 980ti from zotac, AMP extreme edition

Honestly I have no clue. I think on one of the WAN shows Linus said he just prefers some of the things that Nvidia offers that AMD hasnt caught up with or support. What those are I am not sure. I picked Nvidia Solely because its all anyone talks about. I'm not a fan boy but I have always had good success with Nvidia and I live by "if something ain't broke, dont fix it" lifestyle. 

I went with AMD since not only was their card better in performance/$ in the range I was looking, but also because they pretty much are what keeps the industry going in terms of gaming GPU, since without competion their is no need for evolution

Nvidia has great marketing, lower power consumption (at least with maxwell), gameworks, quicker optimizations for games with drivers, then all of the old stereotypes sticking around, like AMD having terrible drivers.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Not to be that guy but no matter how civil you ask the question someones going to start a flame war.

To answer your question before it gets locked basically AMD in the "high end" department is lacking.

Nvidia Is MUCH better assuming you pay the premium, along with the fact that nvidia drivers seem better, and they "buy" out games a lot more ( gameworks, optimized games for them, ect) Put that together with shadowplay, geforce, and the other benefits and theres on reason to pick AMD. 

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

Same reason people preferred Luigi.  Taller, thinner, and his legs flutter all cute like when he jumps.  

Also, Nvidia brand has a longer history in the GPU market (1990's,) where the AMD brand is still relatively new (2006.)  

16 minutes ago, Flowey said:

I went with AMD since not only was their card better in performance/$ in the range I was looking, but also because they pretty much are what keeps the industry going in terms of gaming GPU, since without competion their is no need for evolution

Isn't it always a matter of 3-4 FPS between the two best graphic cards from both sides? Could we say it's a matter of elitism or "fanboysm"?

13 minutes ago, GordosTacoShop said:

Same reason people preferred Luigi.  Taller, thinner, and his legs flutter all cute like when he jumps.  

Also, Nvidia brand has a longer history in the GPU market (1990's,) where the AMD brand is still relatively new (2006.)  

Isn't it that AMD took over ATI because they were about to go bankrupt, but AMD saw potential in them?

13 minutes ago, Cvdasfg said:

Not to be that guy but no matter how civil you ask the question someones going to start a flame war.

To answer your question before it gets locked basically AMD in the "high end" department is lacking.

Nvidia Is MUCH better assuming you pay the premium, along with the fact that nvidia drivers seem better, and they "buy" out games a lot more ( gameworks, optimized games for them, ect) Put that together with shadowplay, geforce, and the other benefits and theres on reason to pick AMD. 

So I guess AMD and Nvidia are cool and it's just the people making it seem they're at "war" but in reality each minds its own business?

It's like how you have a bunch of University students that argue Macbooks are miles better than Windows powered laptops even though in reality all they're doing on the thing is web browsing and word processing. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

I think the mining craze really hurt AMD. It pushed their GPUs to ridiculous prices and kept them out of the hands of gamers who might have developed a real loyalty to them after seeing how powerful their R9 290/290x/280x were when those cards came out. A lot of potential 280 / 280x / 290 / 290x buyers got pushed to the inferior 760 / 770 / 780 and the sligthly superior 780 Ti.

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It's like how you have a bunch of University students that argue Macbooks are miles better than Windows powered laptops even though in reality all they're doing on the thing is web browsing and word processing. 

1 minute ago, Consta said:

So I guess AMD and Nvidia are cool and it's just the people making it seem they're at "war" but in reality each minds its own business?

He summed it perfectly ^^

They both kinda do the same thing..

BUT I do think team green does it better.. but technically your not going wrong with either of them. 

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

13 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Long story short, lots of more fanboys on team Green than team Red, and marketing.

That doesn't make team Red's fanboys any better.

AMD does a shit job at marketing. Nvidia does a great job at it.

With the exception of the 980 Ti, Nvidia's cards aren't too competitive unless you play x game.

So it suffices to say that each company creates new models of GPUs with a different model in mind? E.G Nvidia is better at gaming, AMD at other stuff? Basically, there isn't a side which is supreme in all aspects.

Just now, Consta said:

So it suffices to say that each company creates new models of GPUs with a different model in mind? E.G Nvidia is better at gaming, AMD at other stuff? Basically, there isn't a side which is supreme in all aspects.

Nvidia's cards aren't better for gaming moreso the GeForce line is directly aimed at that. AMD's cards, specifically their GCN cards, are kind of all over the place. Fucking great for computational performance while still being worthwhile gaming cards.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

everyone has their own reasons, and some people because they are fanboys, but these are my personal reasons:

-software, i use shadowplay a lot and it works very well, GFE updates my drivers extremely easily, takes two clicks and 60 seconds and its done, also I really dislike red, green is more my style (although the new crimson software became a lot more appealing to me due to its aesthetic design)

-heat, I run my fans at 200rpm because im a silence freak, and i want to have the coolest temperatures possible at that noise level, which means buying more efficient GPU, CPU, PSU, etc

-noise, this is related to heat, since less heat = i can run fans slower (or off) under load

-money, i actually would rather spend more for a GPU that has the efficiency and features I need, im not a hardcore gamer and fps per dollar is one of my last priorities

-looks, my next GPU I buy will be from EVGA because of how awesome their air coolers look, and maybe just maybe ill be able to afford one of their hydro copper cards

-company, yeah I know a lot of people hate nvidia because this or that, but tbh I hate how AMD markets and advertises, it feels like they are trying to appeal to kids with their unprofessional jokes and attack ads

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Consta said:

Isn't it that AMD took over ATI because they were about to go bankrupt, but AMD saw potential in them?

I think they acquired ATI more so to pursue their Fusion program. 

Nvidia's presence has been more prominent in a lot of the computers I've come across growing up. You can argue it's the same reason why more prefer Intel over AMD.

Intel is objectively better in the end high, however. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

shadowplay, gameworks, physX, gamestream, Cuda, day 1 game ready drivers, better support from game developers in optimization, better energy efficiency resulting in lower heat output and lower noise levels, better overclocking.

Support for newer technologies such as VXGI, color compression, MFAA...just to name a few.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

18 minutes ago, jpow007 said:

Honestly I have no clue. I think on one of the WAN shows Linus said he just prefers some of the things that Nvidia offers that AMD hasnt caught up with or support. What those are I am not sure. I picked Nvidia Solely because its all anyone talks about. I'm not a fan boy but I have always had good success with Nvidia and I live by "if something ain't broke, dont fix it" lifestyle. 

I agree too. For me, it's also power consumption as well. Nvidia has excellent PPW and if lowering your power consumption is important to you, then Nvidia is your only other option.

In this day and age, lowering your power consumption is very important since we are 1) moving towards more efficient power consumption and 2) lowering power consumption to get the same, if not, better performance (that's why more people go with Intel over AMD since they perform better for their tasks and they're energy efficient)

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

sorry, but as per our Community Standards policies, we do not allow

these specific threads. asked, answered and flamed in all accounts.

No Trolling
This includes flame wars such as Microsoft vs Apple, NVIDIA vs AMD, Intel vs AMD

There are plenty of threads like this on the forum already if you want to read the answers.