ImRyan

which one should I install windows 7 or 8.1  

6 members have voted

1. 1. which one should I install windows 7 or 8.1

• Windows 7
    • Windows 8.1

I am having frame rate issues in a lot of my games in windows 10

Thanks for your help

I personally prefer Windows 7. Neither is particularly better than the other, so go for the one you prefer the UI and feel of. 

5 minutes ago, ImRyan said:

I am having frame rate issues in a lot of my games in windows 10

Thanks for your help

What are your system specs?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Definitely Win7. 8.1 is a bandaid over the ugly and bloody experimental mess that was 8.0.

If you don't mind the potential privacy issues and updates being forced on you, also think about Win10. It's a better OS than 7 or 8.1 under the hood. (The aforementioned issues are keeping me away though). I really need to actually read the OP before I post...

The Cheap SFF Wonder -- Turning a Core 2 Duo SFF machine into a useful member of computer society!

i5 3570 -- AS.Rock Z77 Pro3 -- 12GB DDR3 -- R9 380X -- 840Evo 500GB/1TB HDD 

I speak the honest truth with a bit of snark mixed in. I'm sorry if it doesn't line up with your beliefs.

2 minutes ago, ImRyan said:

Alright, which games are causing you problems? Also, have you overclocked your CPU and GPU?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

9 minutes ago, fire219 said:

Definitely Win7. 8.1 is a bandaid over the ugly and bloody experimental mess that was 8.0.

If you don't mind the potential privacy issues and updates being forced on you, also think about Win10. It's a better OS than 7 or 8.1 under the hood. (The aforementioned issues are keeping me away though).

He just said windows 10 doesn't run right, why would you recommend it again

I vote windows 7 (pro btw) op, just make sure you block the windows 10 updates.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Windows 7 Pro or Win 7 ultimate any day over Win 8 or Win 8.1 , and don't bother about Win 10 

4 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

He just said windows 10 doesn't run right, why would you recommend it again

I vote windows 7 op, just make sure you block the windows 10 updates.

I didn't read the OP correctly, my bad.

The Cheap SFF Wonder -- Turning a Core 2 Duo SFF machine into a useful member of computer society!

i5 3570 -- AS.Rock Z77 Pro3 -- 12GB DDR3 -- R9 380X -- 840Evo 500GB/1TB HDD 

I speak the honest truth with a bit of snark mixed in. I'm sorry if it doesn't line up with your beliefs.

4 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Alright, which games are causing you problems? Also, have you overclocked your CPU and GPU?

both CPU and GPU are stock I have not gotten around OC them yet  and the games are injustice batman arkham origins and city never had a problem with them on previous version of windows   

Check out this guide to prevent telemetry updates from installing in Windows 7, and to prevent Windows 10 update notifications from appearing:

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

19 minutes ago, ImRyan said:

both CPU and GPU are stock I have not gotten around OC them yet  and the games are injustice batman arkham origins and city never had a problem with them on previous version of windows   

have you ever thought of running them in compatibility modus

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

It depends.

If you have anything other than keyboard, mouse and mic as input devices, Windows 8

If you have only keyb and mouse, Windows 7

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

well windows 7 is better IMO because i REALLY REALLY hate windows 8 and 8.1 because they were so annoying to use without a touch display, there OK for something like a tablet or a phone and possibly a laptop with touch but not a desktop PC

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016