Acer Predaor X34 vs Z35 or others...

grep.username

So I need a nice new shiny display for my new killer PC. I am debating between an X34 and the Z35. Although I am open to other suggestions.

I intend to game on this machine. I am not into video/photo editing. I have some significant horsepower under the hood, so driving these higher end monitors shouldn't be an issue. (6700k overclocked to 4.8 and 2x Titan X SC)

The X34 is appealing due to the higher resolution. The Z35 is appealing due to the higher refresh rate. I'm unimpressed with the response time on both of these monitors -- would really like something in the 1ms - 2ms range. G-sync is a must, which isn't a problem for either of these monitors.

At this point I could talk in circles for hours. So this is a plea to anyone and everyone. What is your advice? Better resolution (X34) or better refresh rate (Z35), or something different entirely? I'm really open, but I would like to make the purchase in a day or two. So your help is appreciated.

The X34, for sure.

The higher refresh rate is really only going to benefit competitive gamers, where an ultrawide monitor wouldn't be used, anyhow. Whereas, the high-resolution is beneficial across-the-board.

I have a similar setup to you, and the X34 is delightful.:)

As much as I'd like to recommend the Z35 due to it being VA and having the same panel as the BenQ XR3501 that Linus said was the best gaming monitor he had ever used at the time of review in late 2015.... Its response times are pretty high, there are VA panels with way better response times, but not these 30"+ high res high refresh rate ones.

Samsung and AUO are releasing some new big high res high refresh rate VA panels this year, they'll probably be better than what's out now but it may or may not be enough to be worth waiting for.

I'd still go with the Z35 because I'd rather have slow response times than parts of my screen being noticeably brighter than others due to backlight glow/bleed, but that's just me, I can't stand IPS because of that.

1 minute ago, Hunched said:

As much as I'd like to recommend the Z35 due to it being VA and having the same panel as the BenQ XR3501 that Linus said was the best gaming monitor he had ever used at the time of review in late 2015.... Its response times are pretty high, there are VA panels with way better response times, but not these 30"+ high res high refresh rate ones.

Samsung and AUO are releasing some new big high res high refresh rate VA panels this year, they'll probably be better than what's out now but it may or may not be enough to be worth waiting for.

I'd still go with the Z35 because I'd rather have slow response times than parts of my screen being noticeably brighter than others due to backlight glow/bleed, but that's just me, I can't stand IPS because of that.

The backlight glow/bleed can definitely be quite distracting to some. But, as long as the media I'm consuming isn't ridiculously dark, it's never posed an issue.

I've heard about the offerings from Samsung and AUO, and I'm quite intrigued. However, like all things in the technology world, there will always be something better around the bend. So, I find it's best just to purchase the best that you can afford, and try not to dwell on what might/might not be on the horizon.

13 hours ago, grep.username said:

So I need a nice new shiny display for my new killer PC. I am debating between an X34 and the Z35. Although I am open to other suggestions.

I intend to game on this machine. I am not into video/photo editing. I have some significant horsepower under the hood, so driving these higher end monitors shouldn't be an issue. (6700k overclocked to 4.8 and 2x Titan X SC)

The X34 is appealing due to the higher resolution. The Z35 is appealing due to the higher refresh rate. I'm unimpressed with the response time on both of these monitors -- would really like something in the 1ms - 2ms range. G-sync is a must, which isn't a problem for either of these monitors.

At this point I could talk in circles for hours. So this is a plea to anyone and everyone. What is your advice? Better resolution (X34) or better refresh rate (Z35), or something different entirely? I'm really open, but I would like to make the purchase in a day or two. So your help is appreciated.

I would wait for the ASUS PG348Q, the ACER Predator X34 has too many issues

Also the Z35 has awful response times due to the AU Optronics VA panel

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]