Remove Mineral Oil From Components

I have a mineral oil PC that cracked and I want to salvage all the parts. There doesn't seem to be too much info anywhere on the web. From what I've seen the best approach would be to let the part drip dry for a few hours then bathe the parts is 99% isopropyl alcohol for a few seconds each. Is there anyone who was had to do this before?

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

drip for a few days maybe

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I haven't but I would:

- Drip dry it for several days.

- Disassembel as much as possible (take GPU cooler off...)

- Wash the parts in isopropanol for a few minutes (it can't harm your parts)

- If they are still to oily, wash again

- repeat

- replace all thermal past and thermal pads

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

you just need to let it drip dry for a few days any solvents that would dissolve mineral oil would hurt your components. i would say try to scrape off as much as you can from the exterior of the parts (somewhere it wouldn't do any damage like on a heat sink 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Even after letting it dry for a few days I'd be worried it'd still leave some sticky residue or something behind. Here's a crazy idea, but what if you washed it with another less sticky, less viscous, non-conductive fluid? Like distilled water? Just like a quick rinse before you leave it to dry.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

4 minutes ago, ChronicGenocide said:

I have a mineral oil PC that cracked and I want to salvage all the parts. There doesn't seem to be too much info anywhere on the web. From what I've seen the best approach would be to let the part drip dry for a few hours then bathe the parts is 99% isopropyl alcohol for a few seconds each. Is there anyone who was had to do this before?

do what you said only let it drip for atleast a week.. I've heard of it taking as long as a month. 

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

Yeah, it's going to take at least a week to drip "dry". If you really want to make sure as much oil has dried as possible I would let them hang dry for at least a month. Without a doubt one of the biggest detrimental factors to oil cooling.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

Luke said on a wan show one time he just let it drop dry for an extremely long time, rotating it every week or so.

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

12 minutes ago, ChronicGenocide said:

Do yo have a build log of the machine?

I will do mineral oil by myself and I would appreciate to get some knowledge form your experience.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

8 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Even after letting it dry for a few days I'd be worried it'd still leave some sticky residue or something behind. Here's a crazy idea, but what if you washed it with another less sticky, less viscous, non-conductive fluid? Like distilled water? Just like a quick rinse before you leave it to dry.

the oil is not sticky in the conventional sense after it drips away . also if he were to wash it i wouldn't use distilled water as it takes longer to evaporate than alcohol thus more time for the components to be damaged 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

to the op after doing some digging around on other forums it looks like the best way it to let it drip dry for a bit then dunk all of the components in the highest grade alcohol you can find (the less water the better) for 30 mins just to be safe then take it out and drip dry again 

also to the op shoot Puget systems an email they have been working with mineral oil for a long time they might know what to do 

@LinusTech @Slick You might want to comment on this

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!