Elon Musk Goes Iron Man with 3D User Interface for Rockets

Don't know if this was posted or not but a search said no. Also don't know if it should be in the news section or not so if a mod disagrees, kindly move it. :)

He integrated a Leap Motion with designing software.

This is amazing. It's very similar to the Iron Man hologram UI. He shows it off with a 3D model and spinning it around and moving it with hand motions.

He then uses it with holograms, the 3D glasses you get in current movies, and the Oculus Rift which is so awesome. 

What do you guys think about it? What future uses could we have for this kind of technology? How awesome is Elon Musk?

Edit : To clarify and to fix my mistakes on this, he uses Leap Motion to design the rockets. It's amazing, might revolutionize 3D designing, might not, but looks awesome.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

Looks pretty much the same as leap motion to me.

i7 4770k, 16GB Corsair Vengeance

Gigabyte z87, Phanteks Enthoo Primo

I was just looking at the mouse and keyboard.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I forgot about leap motion, yeah it does. I suppose this is more for professional applications but now I don't really know.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

If you listened to the video he says they interlinked there software with the leap motion sensor.

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

(Before anyone says this has been already posted, it has not, it was about a tweet he posted talking about releasing this info later on)

All joking aside, Elon has actually invented quite close to what the Iron Man film was getting at. The tech is incredible and cant wait to see what this is like in years to come.
3 months ago this was total fantasy

Now look at what is being done

Listen, say what you will about Elon Musk and his attitude towards anyone who might critique his work, but the guy is kind of amazing. As reported by Gizmodo, when he's not running a rocket company, an electric car company, or designing magic tubes for transportation, Musk is apparently manipulating 3D digital models with his hands.

musk3dmodel-610x343.jpg

Image Source: Space X YouTube Channel

Much like Tony Stark, Musk sees value in an interface allowing anyone to alter digitized objects with the flick of a wrist. And while it's not quite up to perfect Iron Man standards just yet, using the Leap Motion sensor to design rocket parts still looks pretty amazing.

Musk has posted a YouTube video showing off the UI features, wherein the model is projected onto glass and even integrated into Oculus Rift. And later today, he posted a Tweet showing a rocket part produced on a 3D metal printer.

Source:
http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/09/07/elon-musk-goes-iron-man-with-3d-user-interface-for-rockets

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Nice, but I don't think it is acurate enough to actually create content with, but to have a look around what you have created with this could be really cool.

Viewing 3D objects with the Oculus rift is what I am most excited about from the things in the video though.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

It looks cool but I don't think it will be very useful. Using a mouse you can size things pixel accurate and when typing coordinates with your keyboard you can be even more accurate. Moving your hands over a camera will never be that accurate. This could be pretty amazing in combination with voice. Rotating, zooming and being able to walk around the object as if its standing in front of you is amazing, combine that with voice command such as "Add in a new square volume and make it 15 cm in height and width. Color code that object red and place it on top of the greed volume." And you have something amazing.

so when will Elon Musk get into the defense contractor business? would like to see battle armors xD

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

I dunno guys, I think you are not looking at it in context. Clearly this tech on its own is not perfect but what tech is. A Mouse without a keyboard is not ideal and so on. However, if you perfect this tech, combine it with maybe a pen, like in Ironman, or AI or maybe you have a keyboard and mouse connected also and you use the hand gestures to orientate the object the way you want it and then use keyboard and mouse to perfect it.

Also, what is to say that, once this tech advances and people get used to it, this tech wont be as accurate as a mouse and keyboard?

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

This is pretty cool. Pretty nice that he is trying make things in a movie become true.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer