problems with upgrading to i5-4690k, no post

Go to solution Solved by Argumus,

I had to downgrade my MEI and chipset version for the windows bios update to work then my i5-was able to work then.

My i5 will not post.

my specs: about 3 yeas old

Asus h81m-k bios 1103

Antec vp450

Radeon Software Version - 15.11
Radeon Software Edition - Crimson
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Memory Size - 1024 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 860 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10
System Memory - 16 GB
CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz

my i5 will not post. i have tried reseting cmos, upgrading bios, bare bones (mobo, cpu, one ram stick). i talked to people on a tech forum and intel support. they all told me there should be no reason it shouldnt work. only thing the forum and intel support could figure it was a bad cpu. i sent it in to be replaced, got it back and tried it. same thing. talking to my friend who does alot of this figures its either the mobo going funny, potential psu incompatibility, and i was told it might be my bios chipset needs to be replaced. i am beyond confused what to do at this point.

did you tried older bios versions? but it has to be at least 0703 to be compatible with your cpu.(since youre using a 87 chipset cpu on a 81 board)

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

4 minutes ago, Minsekt said:

did you tried older bios versions? but it has to be at least 0703 to be compatible with your cpu.(since youre using a 87 chipset cpu on a 81 board)

i havent tried that yet. but i remember in my searches last month that the i5-4690k has a minimum bios it needs thats higher than 0703. trying to find out where i read that. it was on an intel or asus site.  but i havent tried and older version yet.

1 minute ago, Argumus said:

i havent tried that yet. but i remember in my searches last month that the i5-4690k has a minimum bios it needs thats higher than 0703. trying to find out where i read that. it was on an intel or asus site.  but i havent tried and older version yet.

like i just told you. since your cpu was made for z87 chipset and youre using a h81 budget chipset. but it should work with a bios version of at least 0703. BUT the budget h81 chipset boards are very limited compared to a z87 board. you might want to upgrade to a z87 board since you cant even overclock the unlocked 4690k. why get the unlocked cpu if you cant overclock it anyways?

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

1 minute ago, Minsekt said:

like i just told you. since your cpu was made for z87 chipset and youre using a h81 budget chipset. but it should work with a bios version of at least 0703. BUT the budget h81 chipset boards are very limited compared to a z87 board. you might want to upgrade to a z87 board since you cant even overclock the unlocked 4690k. why get the unlocked cpu if you cant overclock it anyways?

i was planning on upgrading my mobo soon but for financial reasons i couldnt buy one yet. my plan was to get the cpu that i can crank up when i get the funds to get new mobo later but have a good cpu.

Just now, Argumus said:

i was planning on upgrading my mobo soon but for financial reasons i couldnt buy one yet. my plan was to get the cpu that i can crank up when i get the funds to get new mobo later but have a good cpu.

i think your problem will solve itself once youre using a z87 board. but until then you cant really try more than different bios versions.

Fire Strike Score

2 minutes ago, Minsekt said:

i think your problem will solve itself once youre using a z87 board. but until then you cant really try more than different bios versions.

ill try going down the list i guess of bios and see for now.

3 minutes ago, Minsekt said:

Actually, you've been wrong on the chipset the entire time, its designed for 97 series boards. 87 series boards require BIOS updates. Regardless, it should work if his BIOS is updated regardless of which 1150 chipset he is using. Something is not right.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

2 minutes ago, FruitBasketSilex said:

Actually, you've been wrong on the chipset the entire time, its designed for 97 series boards. 87 series boards require BIOS updates. Regardless, it should work if his BIOS is updated regardless of which 1150 chipset he is using. Something is not right.

i have latest bios of 1103 (mistyped 1105 but edited it to correct bios version)   im trying to remember where i read it but it read some where that i5-4690k needs a minimum bios higher than 0703

Just now, Argumus said:

i have latest bios of 1103 (mistyped 1105 but edited it to correct bios version)   im trying to remember where i read it but it read some where that i5-4690k needs a minimum bios higher than 0703

I know. Thus me saying that something is wrong. Your board should be running perfectly fine with that CPU. Turn off your computer, and remove the CMOS battery for 10min. Then put it back in. Keep it plugged into the wall.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

i may have misread but i dont see why i would have to go down bios rather than up. seems going latest should be ok.  the current i3-4130 is a fourth gen processor so i figured staying within generation will not have a comparability problem.

i may have misread but i dont see why i would have to go down bios rather than up. seems going latest should be ok.  the current i3-4130 is a fourth gen processor so i figured staying within generation will not have a comparability problem.

http://www.asus.com/supportonly/H81M-K/HelpDesk_CPU/  search for i5-4690k needs a minimum bios of 0805

4 minutes ago, FruitBasketSilex said:

I know. Thus me saying that something is wrong. Your board should be running perfectly fine with that CPU. Turn off your computer, and remove the CMOS battery for 10min. Then put it back in. Keep it plugged into the wall.

i have tried 30 seconds to and hour. but i never left it plugged in when i did the cmos reset.

12 minutes ago, Argumus said:

newest bios doesnt always mean its the best for every combination of components. its just worth a try

some asus rog boards for exampe just drop their ram compatiblity with certain bios upgrades (at least for the current rampage v extreme x99 board, kingston ddr4 2666 cl15 wont work at 1902, but below it works fine) maybe its your ram (in combination with the 4690k) that wont let you post. id say just try it, cant go wrong 

Fire Strike Score

8 minutes ago, FruitBasketSilex said:

just now tried it, nothing

Just now, Minsekt said:

newest bios doesnt always mean its the best for every combination of components. its just worth a try

some asus rog boards for exampe just drop their ram compatiblity with certain bios upgrades (at least for the current rampage v extreme x99 board, kingston ddr4 2666 cl15 wont work at 1902, but below it works fine) maybe its your ram (in combination with the 4690k) that wont let you post. id say just try it, cant go wrong 

my ram is 2x balistix 8gb. ill try

4 hours ago, Minsekt said:

tried every bios from 0805 to 1103, cmos reset between, 2 and 1 stick of ram (alternating slots and ram).  nothing worked

any other ideas? i put a ticket in with asus to see whats going on

It's either your psu in your motherboard, in my opinion is your motherboard, it has only a 4 pin cpu power connector,you probably need a 4+2 pin cpu power connector to power a 4690k

1 hour ago, TehAmigos said:

It's either your psu in your motherboard, in my opinion is your motherboard, it has only a 4 pin cpu power connector,you probably need a 4+2 pin cpu power connector to power a 4690k

thats kinda what i narrowed it down to... really stinks because everywhere i look it says its compatible. intel and asus website

• 4 years later...

Hi,

Just to make it clear in 2020.

My issue : H81M-C with last BIOS (3602) and i7 4790k don't work.

The problem is with the chipset, which must be updated too. You can only flash it under W7/8, because you need the old Intel Management Engine Interface V9.0.0.1287, available on the Asus support web site. Once the old Intel MEI is installed, use the "BIOS updater for New 4th Gen Intel Core Processors", the "YES" button will be active. Flash with last BIOS even if it's already the one you have.

Flashing from inside the BIOS won't work, only flash from W7/8 (W10 not possible). At the end, BIOS is flashed (but was useless), Intel Chipset is flashed (and that was the solution).

• 9 months later...
On 2/9/2020 at 6:36 AM, H81_i7_4790k said:

Hi,

Just to make it clear in 2020.

My issue : H81M-C with last BIOS (3602) and i7 4790k don't work.

The problem is with the chipset, which must be updated too. You can only flash it under W7/8, because you need the old Intel Management Engine Interface V9.0.0.1287, available on the Asus support web site. Once the old Intel MEI is installed, use the "BIOS updater for New 4th Gen Intel Core Processors", the "YES" button will be active. Flash with last BIOS even if it's already the one you have.

Flashing from inside the BIOS won't work, only flash from W7/8 (W10 not possible). At the end, BIOS is flashed (but was useless), Intel Chipset is flashed (and that was the solution).

my motherboard is not h81m but asus z87-k, * i have the same problem. *

I had done a test, installed win 10 and the old MEI 9.0.0.1287. 
using a celeron g1820 processor. 
I updated the BIOS to the version I already have (1402) using the update program from asus for 4th generation. 
but when restarting the computer, 
windows 10 gave an error message and did not want to start again, 
I removed the celeron and put the i5 4690k and had no results,
 continued not to give video and not to post.

so i need to use windows 7. install the old driver, "MEI" 
(Intel Management Engine Interface V9.0.0.1287) ok so I understand, 
but what version of the chipset driver do I install?

Managed to do the same on Windows 10. Had to use Intel Management Interface driver V9.5.15 for Windows 7-8 under Windows 10. Installer complained at the end, but "BIOS updater" utility finally started and was able to flash BIOS 3206. After that PC booted with i5-4690.

Before that all attempts with flashing BIOS from BIOS itself and from AI Suite software were useless. BIOS was updated, but CPU wasn't recognized.