Can I get some advice on a new programming language

I've wanted to learn C++ for a while and have tried but it just seems to hard right now. I'm thinking maybe I'll just learn some other language first, maybe C. My background is some web design, a small amount of js, a little bit of java, quite a bit of python and a bit of C++. I don't really know what I want to do. I don't care about mobile devices, other than that I don't know. Any suggestions?

i dont think C is going to be any easier for you than C++...

if you already know python, then go on the C++, its an important language to learn

if you need motivation, use UE4 to make a game in C++

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

i dont think C is going to be any easier for you than C++...

if you already know python, then go on the C++, its an important language to learn

if you need motivation, use UE4 to make a game in C++

Maybe I just need to try learning it another way, like youtube videos or something. In fact that's probably that I'll do.

the best advice is to pick any language and just start programming. I would recommend something easy to learn like HTML or Python. Maybe get into minecraft and start doing mods to learn. 

Just now, jpow007 said:

the best advice is to pick any language and just start programming. I would recommend something easy to learn like HTML or Python. Maybe get into minecraft and start doing mods to learn. 

Did you even bother reading the first post?

If learning C++ is your goal then I would continue to stick with it. Perhaps try learning from different resources than what you're currently using if you don't find they are working for you.

Yeah but my answer stays the same. Just program. IF you already program why are you asking what to do? if you want to learn C++ then just start doing it. I feel like that is the best answer. Its what I did. I still have no idea what I want to do with programming but I just do it for fun little things like designing my webpage or making stupid models in this modeling system my college has. Everyone I've ever talked to just recommended doing. "Do or Do Not, No Try" -Yoda

C++ is much harder than C. Mainly because it's C with a whole bunch of things bolted on, like OO design, templating and a way bigger standard library. It's a good idea to start with C and not worry about those other things that C++ provides. If you want to learn an OO language go with C# or Java, because with all the things in C++ it can become quite confusing and hard to design software if you don't know the basics.

8 hours ago, whitephoenix said:

I've wanted to learn C++ for a while and have tried but it just seems to hard right now. I'm thinking maybe I'll just learn some other language first, maybe C. My background is some web design, a small amount of js, a little bit of java, quite a bit of python and a bit of C++. I don't really know what I want to do. I don't care about mobile devices, other than that I don't know. Any suggestions?

Maybe consider C or Java? C++ is definitely not an easy language to learn. It is really powerful but also very large, with OO design and a large standard library. I would go with C, then move onto Java or C# to learn OO design. You should be ready for C++ then.

Also, you need to find a way that suites you. Some people are okay with the free video sites or code sites like codeacademy. I personally prefer textbooks (I buy ebook format when I can) because I find videos to be really slow and boring online (Yeah, the videos online are free, but don't fit how I want to learn). You just need to find that one type of format that fits your learning style. Also, unfortunately, you might have to buy several books, I found that not all of the books the professors recommend at my university are that good, or that there is a alternative that I understand better myself.

On February 4, 2016 at 8:35 PM, jpow007 said:

HTML is not a programming language.

Try C#, it's really friendly, simple and flexible.

7 hours ago, DevBlox said:

C++ is much harder than C. Mainly because it's C with a whole bunch of things bolted on, like OO design, templating and a way bigger standard library. It's a good idea to start with C and not worry about those other things that C++ provides. If you want to learn an OO language go with C# or Java, because with all the things in C++ it can become quite confusing and hard to design software if you don't know the basics.

5 minutes ago, as96 said:

Try C#, it's really friendly, simple and flexible.

6 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Maybe consider C or Java? C++ is definitely not an easy language to learn. It is really powerful but also very large, with OO design and a large standard library. I would go with C, then move onto Java or C# to learn OO design. You should be ready for C++ then.

Also, you need to find a way that suites you. Some people are okay with the free video sites or code sites like codeacademy. I personally prefer textbooks (I buy ebook format when I can) because I find videos to be really slow and boring online (Yeah, the videos online are free, but don't fit how I want to learn). You just need to find that one type of format that fits your learning style. Also, unfortunately, you might have to buy several books, I found that not all of the books the professors recommend at my university are that good, or that there is a alternative that I understand better myself.

Currently I'm not interested in C# because my interest is making Linux more appealing to the less technical because I think that's where the future of tech will go. Maybe I'll learn C first I don't know. I started thenewboston's C++ tutorial and it's been pretty helpful. I over think everything and his style of videos keep it pretty simple so I think that should help a lot.

8 minutes ago, whitephoenix said:

Currently I'm not interested in C# because my interest is making Linux more appealing to the less technical because I think that's where the future of tech will go. Maybe I'll learn C first I don't know. I started thenewboston's C++ tutorial and it's been pretty helpful. I over think everything and his style of videos keep it pretty simple so I think that should help a lot.

Oh I see, well then it's either Python or C, honestly I would go with C and then switch back to C++ later.

To learn C++ I suggest you to read "Accelerated C++" and then something like "Effective Modern C++" to fill the gaps since "Accelerated C++" is old and does not show C++11 and newer.

42 minutes ago, whitephoenix said:

Oh, I see. Yeah, I would go for C first Yeah, I'm in C# because I want to make Windows apps some day. A great book for C that I can recommend is K.N. King C Programming: A Modern Approach 2nd Ed. It's only in paper back, but you can pick it up used.

Yeah, I'm trying to save up myself for more coding books for C# and C++ myself...broke college student...haha...

1 hour ago, as96 said:

Oh I see, well then it's either Python or C, honestly I would go with C and then switch back to C++ later.

To learn C++ I suggest you to read "Accelerated C++" and then something like "Effective Modern C++" to fill the gaps since "Accelerated C++" is old and does not show C++11 and newer.

Just go with C++ and don't bother with the fancy stuff (OOP , templates, etc. ) until you are done with the basics. If you do that, then you'll pretty much be doing the same things as in C , or at least use the same principles.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Alright so I decided to just stick with C++ but change resources. I've been following thenewboston's C++ tutorial which does a really good job of giving a simple explanation of classes which was my main problem. He taught classes even before loops which was kind of interesting, but I overthink everything and having a really simple straightforward tutorial like this is awesome.

On 2/4/2016 at 5:32 PM, whitephoenix said:

Alright so I decided to just stick with C++ but change resources. I've been following thenewboston's C++ tutorial which does a really good job of giving a simple explanation of classes which was my main problem. He taught classes even before loops which was kind of interesting, but I overthink everything and having a really simple straightforward tutorial like this is awesome.

I would avoid the new boston as a resource.

https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/comments/2llb5g/is_the_new_boston_a_harmful_place_to_learn_c/

30 minutes ago, Darth Irule said:

You just have to take it for what it is, an introduction showing you some syntax and language features. It's no different than using Codecademy to get your feet wet and then moving on to some better material later. It's not my first choice, but plenty of people start out that way.

I would go with Python because it is a very powerful language (they use it to make blender!) and fairly simple to learn.