Tips for creating a preview/trailer for a text based game?

Go to solution Solved by DaltonM,

Good music will go a long way. 

Perhaps some sort of 'distress message' that appears in text on the screen that intrigues the player to want to find out what kind of situation the characters are in.

You should focus mainly on story, or what makes your text adventure unique. I feel there's only two types of players who play text games, and it's people who like text games, and people who really like stories in games. 

So I would focus on creating an atmosphere through music and text. 

So hello everyone!

I'm currently making a game (which is far from being finished). It's basically something along the lines of Sim City 2000 collided with Eve Online(the economic and sci-fi aspects). Now, I'm not really going to go into the specifics of the game. But it's mostly text and pixel art based. And all the pixel art that is there, doens't really move a lot.

So now I was wondering, how would I go about and make a trailer/preview video (in the future). It's not like I can show 'in action' shots, since nothing really (interesting) moves on the screen.

Thanks!

Perhaps some sort of 'distress message' that appears in text on the screen that intrigues the player to want to find out what kind of situation the characters are in.

You should focus mainly on story, or what makes your text adventure unique. I feel there's only two types of players who play text games, and it's people who like text games, and people who really like stories in games. 

3 minutes ago, MatthewEnderle said:

I made this one for my Minecraft server before I released it.

No offense, but this is the most boring trailer I have ever seen. The transitions are so slow I could fall asleep between blurbs. 

But for the OP this is a prime example of what NOT to do lol. 

31 minutes ago, MatthewEnderle said:

I made this one for my Minecraft server before I released it.

Nice! That's a great Idea!

30 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

That's a great Idea! One of the problems is that it's a sandbox game. The story is made by all the people who play the game. But it's really a good idea. Good music is important I guess.