Hoverboards get their own Certification Process

UL, the fine people who make sure your computers and electronics don't catch on fire and explode have come up with a way to certify hoverboards. Certification will include electronic systems such as drive train, batteries and chargers as well as vibration and mold testing. These regulations and tests couldn't come sooner, "recently, after a spat of fires, regulators and hoverboard-makers took a few jabs at each other over safety standards." All this should ensure that new hoverboards won't catch fire anytime soon. 

News link: http://www.wired.com/2016/02/the-wild-west-of-exploding-hoverboards-may-soon-come-to-an-end/

Direct from UL: 

http://m.ul.com/news/press-releases/?dcr=ul-announces-availability-of-ul-certification-for-hoverboards

1. THEY ARE NOT HOVERBOARDS
  2. GOOD THEY REALLY NEED SORTING OUT FOR PEOPLES SAFETY
  3. THEY ARE NOT HOVERBOARDS
  4. THEY ARE NOT HOVERBOARDS
  5. THEY ARE NOT HOVERBOARDS
  6. THEY ARE NOT HOVERBOARDS
  7. THEY ARE NOT HOVERBOARDS
  8. THEY ARE NOT HOVERBOARDS
  9. THEY ARE NOT HOVERBOARDS
  10. THEY ARE NOT HOVERBOARDS
  11. I LIKE TURTLES

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

They should find the person who first named it a hoverboard and beat him up. 

Regardless, a tad bit silly that a toy needs certification, but those cheapo ones are kinda dangerous

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

2 hours ago, Sidiox said:

They should find the person who first named it a hoverboard and beat him up. 

Regardless, a tad bit silly that a toy needs certification, but those cheapo ones are kinda dangerous

knowing his track record its probably Linus, the chungus has started too many bad trends. 

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

It was that damned tabloid/news paper that ran the story of that shit rapper getting arrest for riding around the airport in his "hoverboard"...until then I only ever heard them called swegways, electric scooters/skate boards, etc. We should punch the author of that article square in the dick! WHO'S WITH ME!

As for the classification, I say good. But, the damage is already done. I don't think Cities/States that have already enacted bans and limits are going to go around and change their minds. So far US Airports, most major cities, and other public transport have banned them (for sale and for use). The best this classification is going to do help bring back some sales. But where could you ride it? lol 

Plus isn't the hype gone? Who wants to buy these things anymore?

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

Hoverboards... yeah right.
Give me the one from Ben 10 and I'd be happy!

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I agree with the name, hoverboards should hover not roll, and honestly swegway is a way cooler name in my opinion. I believe that the name hover board was chosen because they started to become popular right around the time of all that hover board controversy.

*Looks at amount of "hoverboards" sold, looks at amount of fires, doesn't see anything unusual"

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

-implies product is hoverboard

-has wheels

get off the drugs there pal

Ye ole' train

9 hours ago, TrigrH said:

*swegways

No please, that's even worse...

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

7 minutes ago, TomvanWijnen said:

No please, that's even worse...

Swagways

Ye ole' train

hoverboard retarded segway

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I feel like this should of already been a thing, at least it will be a thing now. 

16 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

rabble rabble

They are called hoverboards because its it gives the user a feel of hovering above the ground when its being used. Besides, there are tons of things that are given colloquial names that do not accurately describe what they are. Chill out and stop being so pedantic.

CPU: Intel Core i3 4370 (3.8GHz, 2C/4T) GPU: AMD R9 380X 4GB

4 hours ago, NuclearPeace said:

They are called hoverboards because its it gives the user a feel of hovering above the ground when its being used. Besides, there are tons of things that are given colloquial names that do not accurately describe what they are. Chill out and stop being so pedantic.

I was clearly making a joke post, hence the I "I Like turtles part"

See all the people liking, agreeing, and marking it as funny?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii