Friend needs a gaming laptop for $2000 USD or below for both college and gaming

Aytex

Do not get a laptop, I lost £1000 on my gaming laptop in 14 months, just get a matx pc for the same cost

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

go on the sager/asus/razer/msi websites, i would probs choose MSI or razer for college, and choose any config for 2000

12 hours ago, stealth80 said:

Do not get a laptop, I lost £1000 on my gaming laptop in 14 months, just get a matx pc for the same cost

he might need to bring it to class in which case a desktop pc isnt feasible 

Just now, spartaman64 said:

hes taking a business major or something and hes going to be travel alot,

also if he wants a desktop he can just sell it and get some money out of it

I recommend an ASUS ROG laptop, I love 'em but the razer blade stealth is also a great idea if he needs it for college

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

Pretty sure that could be done on a tablet whilst having a PC back in his room and syncing his work from his tablet to the PC on completion of class

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Second on the Sager/Clevo brand.

These all look like good starting points.  http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-clevo-sager-notebooks-ct-95-51-162#!/dir=asc&limit=100&no_cache=true&order=price

I like this one in particular:  http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8678-clevo-p670rg-p-8651.html

Battery life is kinda shitty though. 

12 hours ago, Sirpz said:

I recommend an ASUS ROG laptop, I love 'em but the razer blade stealth is also a great idea if he needs it for college

i think razer laptops are overpriced. sure if you have the money it has good build quality and stuff but on a budget i dont think its a good choice

7 minutes ago, Aytex said:

I've already talked to him and his reason sounds valid to not get a desktop

Idk shit about laptops so any recommendations are greatly appreciated

Actually this is pretty darn cheap. 

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-763BLK-Full-HD-GeForce/dp/B015PYYDMQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454458449&sr=1-6&keywords=Dell+Inspiron 

From most people's usage. It can last nearly 10 hours. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

hes taking a business major or something and hes going to be travel alot,

also if he wants a desktop he can just sell it and get some money out of it

1 minute ago, Sirpz said:

Actually scratch what I said, get a razer blade stealth, those things are sweet.

12 hours ago, stealth80 said:

Pretty sure that could be done on a tablet whilst having a PC back in his room and syncing his work from his tablet to the PC on completion of class

not if he needs to CAD or something

Would buy this instantly if I had 2000 USD right now.

http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-blade-fullhd

My legit rig:

CPU: i5 6600k GPU: Asus Strix 1070 RAM: 16 GB of Corsair LPX CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 Motherboard:  Asus Z170I Pro Gaming Storage: Adata Sp550 120 GB and WD Black 3 TB Case: NZXT Manta Power Supply: EVGA 550 GS Monitors: 2 LG 25UM58-P Ultrawides Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid-i Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB

1 minute ago, Sirpz said:

Actually scratch what I said, get a razer blade stealth, those things are sweet.

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

2 minutes ago, Ramamataz said:

Actually this is pretty darn cheap. 

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-763BLK-Full-HD-GeForce/dp/B015PYYDMQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1454458449&sr=1-6&keywords=Dell+Inspiron 

From most people's usage. It can last nearly 10 hours. 

he was thinking about this one, before confronting me 

https://originpc.com/gaming/laptops/evo15-s/

he wants a good display

2000 for a 970 256gb of ssd and a non g sync display? yea no

gl trying to do much better for a college laptop that you can actually carry around.

My legit rig:

CPU: i5 6600k GPU: Asus Strix 1070 RAM: 16 GB of Corsair LPX CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 Motherboard:  Asus Z170I Pro Gaming Storage: Adata Sp550 120 GB and WD Black 3 TB Case: NZXT Manta Power Supply: EVGA 550 GS Monitors: 2 LG 25UM58-P Ultrawides Keyboard: Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid-i Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB

12 hours ago, SirCallow said:

gl trying to do much better for a college laptop that you can actually carry around.

he probably will have a bag that can fit it and not lug it around in his arm

4 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

Maybe its different in the UK, but if CAD is required you would have class facilities provided and you would download/access your work from your own PC

Ryzen Ram Guide

he probably will have a bag that can fit it and not lug it around in his arm

Probably*

When you have a ton of books in a backpack, the last thing you want to do is carry around a 10 lbs gaming laptop. While there are undoubtedly better laptops than the Razer Blade, few can match its performance to size ratio, making it one of the best laptops for college and for gaming. G Sync is not an essential feature until you get into the 2500-3000 USD range.

My legit rig:

Why not get a "Good" laptop and then get one of those external GPU docks for when hes home?

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

4 minutes ago, Aytex said:

he was thinking about this one, before confronting me 

https://originpc.com/gaming/laptops/evo15-s/

he wants a good display

Again, let me stress, the Razer Blade Stealth is what I recommend, you wont find a thin, quality, ultrabook that has a full desktop GPU available for probably under 2k, the laptop is 1k, and I doubt the GPU and the casing will be over 800

12 hours ago, SirCallow said:

Probably*

When you have a ton of books in a backpack, the last thing you want to do is carry around a 10 lbs gaming laptop. While there are undoubtedly better laptops than the Razer Blade, few can match its performance to size ratio, making it one of the best laptops for college and for gaming. G Sync is not an essential feature until you get into the 2500-3000 USD range.

the laptops i listed both have g sync