Splitting 1 ethernet connection into 2?

fojacko

Ok, so i really didn't know how to word the title, but the gist of the situation is that I have my router downstairs and i have 1 ethernet cable running up the wall into my room upstairs and is plugged into my pc. Now i want to turn that 1 cable into 2 connections, my presumption is that i could buy a cheap 4 port ethernet switch, put the connection from downstairs into port 1 and then buy 2 ethernet cables to plug into my main pc and laptop, would that work or not?

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

Just now, fojacko said:

Ok, so i really didn't know how to word the title, but the gist of the situation is that I have my router downstairs and i have 1 ethernet cable running up the wall into my room upstairs and is plugged into my pc. Now i want to turn that 1 cable into 2 connections, my presumption is that i could buy a cheap 4 port ethernet switch, put the connection from downstairs into port 1 and then buy 2 ethernet cables to plug into my main pc and laptop, would that work or not?

Yes. That would work. 

3 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

Yes. That would work. 

3 minutes ago, Ssoele said:

Yes, that would work.

Nice, thanks for the quick response! :)

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

2 hours ago, fojacko said:

Nice, thanks for the quick response! :)

That's why you came to LTT! :)

Be sure to just buy a switch and not a router. Should cost < $60 for a gigabit 5 port switch.

Yeah, just get a cheap, unmanaged 5 port gigabit switch. That should be enough ports for all your devices.