What cpu should I upgrade to???

Hi!

I was wandering if you guys could help me.

I have a i5-3450 (1155) and I want to upgrade.

I play games as well as content creation (mostly video editing) and I was wandering what is the next "logical" step up.

Naturally I would like to keep my motherboard (1155) but I'm open for all suggestions.

Thanks!

ps. Hi I'm new here :)

budget?

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

Do you actually have Problems ANYWHERE?

Any Application, where you "need/want" more Power, and your 3450 doesnt offer enough?

For Video editing: What applications are you using? Do you let your CPU Render, GPU, or QuickSync?

Do you want to Overclock? (Which Motherboard Chipset do you use?)

Without a whole paltform change (to x99 for example), you can only do this:

- if H-chipset: a Ivy Bridge based Xeon 4 core CPU with Hyperthreading. That way the only thing you "gain" is Hyperthreading itself.

- if Z-Chipset: an i7 3770k, and Overclock it. 

That Xeon + i7 3770k are the same. The i7 is just overclockable and has an integrated graphic.

i7 3770 and honestly it's not worth the money. Your i5 is more than capable as of now

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Thank you for all your quick responses! wow!

I have the Gigabyte Z77-D3H. motherboard

I currently have no problems per say with my cpu (other than heat and I'm probably gonna buy the noctua D15 to address that problem)

I just find that rendering takes too long, or maybe I'm just impatient. 

I got 16Gb of ram and I have the Gigabyte HD7770OC 1GB GDDR5.

So I was also wandering should I upgrade my cpu or just go for a gpu upgrade to 390 or 970?

Or should I consider going for a skylake build?
So many questions!!

26 minutes ago, Bee_Bee_Cue said:

I currently have no problems per say with my cpu (other than heat and I'm probably gonna buy the noctua D15 to address that problem)

So I was also wandering should I upgrade my cpu or just go for a gpu upgrade to 390 or 970?

So many questions!!

Depends on your budget, if you can afford it, you'll definitely see a massive improvement if you drop some cash on a high end skylake chip, but that means  you'll also need to purchase a new motherboard and new DDR4 RAM 

| MOBO MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | CPU i7-4790K @ 4.7GHz | RAM G.Skill 16GB 2133MHz | SSD Kingston 240GB / HDD Seagate 3TB | GPU MSI Gaming GTX 970 |

| Cooling CM Nepton 240M | Display Philips BDM4065UC 40in 4K | Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry Blue | Mouse Logitech G502 | Case Fractal Design Core 2500 |

PSU Rankings

1 hour ago, Bee_Bee_Cue said:

So many questions!!

The 7770 is such a weak GPU, I mean a 390 or 970 would be night and day better for gaming. 

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-HD-7770-vs-AMD-R9-390/m7710vs3481

And I know Sony Vegas Pro loves AMD while Adobe Premiere uses CUDA (Nvidia).

41 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

The 7770 is such a weak GPU, I mean a 390 or 970 would be night and day better for gaming. 

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-HD-7770-vs-AMD-R9-390/m7710vs3481

And I know Sony Vegas Pro loves AMD while Adobe Premiere uses CUDA (Nvidia).

True,
I bought it in 2012 when I started building my system and it has been surprisingly okay, but naturally I want better performance.

So I've been thinking 390 or 970. Everyone says that 390 performs a bit better so I'm leaning towards that one, but I am using Premiere.

I guess there is never 100% answer to these questions, there are always so many possibilities :)

3 hours ago, Bee_Bee_Cue said:

So many questions!!

The problem with a platform upgrade is, you're going to drop $250+ on a Skylake CPU (and you probably won't see a ton of improvement unless you go for an i7, which is even more expensive), and then you're talking $150+ for a motherboard and you'll also need all new RAM, so Skylake will easily run $400-500+, depending on the CPU, motherboard and RAM you choose.

If you're otherwise happy, I'd recommend a GPU upgrade. I found out the hard way that VRAM can cripple you, and 1GB simply won't be enough for many modern titles at 1080p. I ran GeFroce 570s' in SLI in.... 2011? And they performed admirably, until about early 2013 when the 1.25GB (or whatever they had) of VRAM forced me into an upgrade. If you want something to last a while, a 380 with 4+ GB VRAM would be fine.

Core i7 5820k 4.0Ghz (all 6 cores, Noctua NH-D15) | Asus X99-Deluxe | ZOTAC GeForce 980 Ti (water cooled) @ 1400 core/stock VRAM | Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 | 1.5TB SSD | Corsair 400Q | eVGA Supernova G2 850 watt | Dell UltraSharp U2515H, 25.5" 1440p IPS