DDR4 @ 2666MHz/Mobo @ 2133MHz

Hi guys, I'm here to ask a simple question, which I can't seem to find the answer. 

- Is it possible to run a stick of RAM clocked at 2666MHz on a motherboard that only supports 2133MHz max?

Like, will it even boot?

I'm asking cause I have an H110M mobo, but I'll upgrade later to an z170.. and I wanted to have the 2666MHz ddr4 memory already.. Will it boot and run at 2133 or it won't even boot?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, RuiFF13 said:

Hi guys, I'm here to ask a simple question, which I can't seem to find the answer. 

- Is it possible to run a stick of RAM clocked at 2666MHz on a motherboard that only supports 2133MHz max?

Like, will it even boot?

I'm asking cause I have an H110M mobo, but I'll upgrade later to an z170.. and I wanted to have the 2666MHz ddr4 memory already.. Will it boot and run at 2133 or it won't even boot?

Thanks

should work fine

ram always works at lower speeds

its higher speeds that ram doesnt like

I haven't researched H110 boards, but it should run fine at the lower speed.  There might even be a BIOS option to run it at XMP settings.

12 minutes ago, RuiFF13 said:

But it will boot with the 2666MHz RAM right?

I can say with 100% certainty that it will boot just fine. However, it will not run at 2666mhz. SPD (Serial Presence Detect) will tell the board to run it at 2133mhz CL15, the current JEDEC standard speed of DDR4. It will work just fine.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.