Should I buy a 980 ti now or wait for pascal?

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to buy the acer predator xb271hu monitor, and i would properly need to upgrade my gpu to make full use of that monitor (currnet GPU is 7970ghz). 

So I need advice on whether or not it would a smart move to buy a 980 ti now or wait for Pascal.

I currently have the budget for both the monitor and gpu, but i just want to make sure that i make smart decision with money i saved up.

I'm really indecisive, and would like some feedback from you guys.

Thanks 

980 OC'd owner checking in. Would def wait for Pascal. 980 Ti just barely runs AAA titles at 60 FPS 1440P. (e.g. Witcher 3) 

either wait for pascal or get a 980ti now and upgrade to 980ti sli once theyre getting cheaper with pascals release.

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

Since your current GPU is pretty good I see no reason to upgrade now, just wait.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Personally ... if you can't wait go for it. You can always sell your 980ti and get a Pascal. Pascal could be good but an 1080ti is coming out mid next year so if can wait that long. 

Magical Pineapples

2 minutes ago, th3kingsofkings said:

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to buy the acer predator xb271hu monitor, and i would properly need to upgrade my gpu to make full use of that monitor (currnet GPU is 7970ghz). 

So I need advice on whether or not it would a smart move to buy a 980 ti now or wait for Pascal.

I currently have the budget for both the monitor and gpu, but i just want to make sure that i make smart decision with money i saved up.

I'm really indecisive, and would like some feedback from you guys.

Thanks 

If you fully want to utilize this monitor, you either have to get 2x 980ti or 2x pascal- not sure how well pascal with perform or scale with SLI. I have 2x 980ti and the scaling is perfect in some games and meh in others. In Witcher 3 I get 160FPS+ at 1080p with everything absolutely cranked to the max.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Just now, bomerr said:

Wait for Pascal 

He will be waiting almost if not tell the end of the year then. I think the proper way to decide is if he already has a good GPU and can push tell the end of the year, then yeah, waiting tell Pascal is worth it but if he desperately needs a GPU right now and cant wait tell the end of the year, then get the 980TI  right now.

The 7970 is still a decent card but does get low FPS is most modern games at high settings.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

1 minute ago, ericlee30 said:

He will be waiting almost if not tell the end of the year then. I think the proper way to decide is if he already has a good GPU and can push tell the end of the year, then yeah, waiting tell Pascal is worth it but if he desperately needs a GPU right now and cant wait tell the end of the year, then get the 980TI  right now.

The 7970 is still a decent card but does get low FPS is most modern games at high settings.

And at that point something new will be already in plans, if waiting is necessary, I'd say wait maximum of 1-2 months, not almost a year. Just a waste of time. If Pascal came out in 2 months and you bought 2x 980ti then no, bad idea. Pascal is coming out end of this year. Get 2x 980ti and you'll still be set for a few years. Those beasts are crazy.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

A HD 7970GHz is more than capable for 1080p gaming ATM, but 1440p @ 144hz it will hate.

I'd wait and buy a GPU and monitor combo when Pascal and Arctic Islands come out.

I would wait since you already have a good GPU and you can still run that screen at 144Hz.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Isn't a Pascal GPU intended to give the graphics output to the monitor a Hz overclock. So instead of running at 60 Hz you will have the ability to scale up to something like a 120 Hz overclock.

DisplayPort version 1.3 was approved on 15 September 2014...This bandwidth is enough for a 4K UHD display (3840×2160) at 120Hz, a 5K display (5120×2880) at 60Hz, or an 8K UHD display (7680×4320) at 30Hz, with 24-bit RGB color. Using Multi-Stream Transport (MST), it can support two 4K UHD (3840×2160) displays at 60 Hz, or up to four WQXGA (2560×1600) displays at 60Hz in 24-bit RGB mode. Wikipedia Display port

VESA Releases DisplayPort 1.3 Standard: 50% More Bandwidth, at AnandTec by Ryan Smith

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

2 minutes ago, blu4 said:

And at that point something new will be already in plans, if waiting is necessary, I'd say wait maximum of 1-2 months, not almost a year. Just a waste of time.

Exactly :)

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

My backup HD7950 can run games at 1440p. If you play csgo you have no problem maxing the game out at 1440p and get 160fps+ other games can you turn down to medium settings.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

10 minutes ago, bomerr said:

980 OC'd owner checking in. Would def wait for Pascal. 980 Ti just barely runs AAA titles at 60 FPS 1440P. (e.g. Witcher 3) 

? My Card runs everything 70-120fps in 1440p ultra. Only GTA2 and TR run 40-60. 

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

If you need a card now, get it now, if you can wait, wait.

It's really that simple :P

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Current GPU is excellent to be honest, it's close to the performance of an R9 280x and equals to a GTX 760 I believe, or more clearly a GTX 670. It's by far enough to be honest, wait for Pascal. But really, if you have the money now, and can buy the 980 Ti, go do it.. save up alittle more and then sell it, and then go buy the Pascal card, easy win. This is basically what I'm planning to do or just gain money and buy it later.

Even though I am running a GTX 980 Ti in my rig, I can tell you this card is really powerful and overkill for a 1080p monitor, it wrecks every AAA title above 60fps on extreme graphics. It's by far not a joke. But if you're too eager to wait, go for the GTX 1080 at June. or the new Titan by April.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

I would wait for Pascal, since there will be newer technology and stuff in there. It will be worth the wait, as long as you are doing fine with your current gpu.

i5 4690k | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Swiftech H240-X | MSI Z97s SLI Krait Edition | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb ( 2x4gb ) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 850EVO 250gb SSD & WD Caviar Blue 1tb HDD | Fractal Design Define R5

30 minutes ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

Isn't a Pascal GPU intended to give the graphics output to the monitor a GHz overclock. So instead of running at 60GHz you will have the ability to scale to something like a  128GHz overclock.

Dude.. What? I've never heard of this before. If you're going to makes posts like that at least give source.

Im in a similar situation, Im building a new system now and my old system has a 560Ti. I plan on upgrading to a 34" 1440p screen soon. Im holding out to see what monoprice brings to the table with their $500 34". Im not sure if I should jump on the 980 Ti now and double up to SLI once Pascal comes out or buy something like a cheap GTX 950 to hold me over for now til the monitor situation is figured out and Pascal is out. 

35 minutes ago, SydneySideSteveSomewheres said:

Isn't a Pascal GPU intended to give the graphics output to the monitor a GHz overclock. So instead of running at 60GHz you will have the ability to scale to something like a  128GHz overclock.

Is this meant serious?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

55 minutes ago, OCP said:

Im in a similar situation, Im building a new system now and my old system has a 560Ti. I plan on upgrading to a 34" 1440p screen soon. Im holding out to see what monoprice brings to the table with their $500 34". Im not sure if I should jump on the 980 Ti now and double up to SLI once Pascal comes out or buy something like a cheap GTX 950 to hold me over for now til the monitor situation is figured out and Pascal is out. 

950 sell for Pascal IMO/. 

1 hour ago, bomerr said:

I feel like this is a little misleading. Yes, a 980 Ti will struggle at ultra settings with all the whiz-bangs turned on for TW3, whilst running 1440p and aiming for 60 fps. However, some of the graphical settings make very little difference. For example, I ran GTA V on my Titan X @ 1440p with ABSOLUTE MAX (with the exception of frame scaling) settings, but it was running at like 20 fps. I usually run the game at a mix of very high and high with 2x MSAA and get 60 fps with a little bit of GPU overhead. The funniest thing about this is that I could barely tell the difference.

This is a very bold statement, a little bit of context doesn't hurt. 

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

GPUs haven't massively changed for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if even the release surpassing Pascal doesn't change much. Just get the 980TI, it'll last a while.

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

14 minutes ago, TheCaptain53 said:

I feel like this is a little misleading. Yes, a 980 Ti will struggle at ultra settings with all the whiz-bangs turned on for TW3, whilst running 1440p and aiming for 60 fps. However, some of the graphical settings make very little difference. For example, I ran GTA V on my Titan X @ 1440p with ABSOLUTE MAX (with the exception of frame scaling) settings, but it was running at like 20 fps. I usually run the game at a mix of very high and high with 2x MSAA and get 60 fps with a little bit of GPU overhead. The funniest thing about this is that I could barely tell the difference.

This is a very bold statement, a little bit of context doesn't hurt. 

Ya I know this. Shadows on High and turning down MSAA for Hairworks one notch results in like 7-10 FPS increase on Witcher 3. Thing is you would need to do that anyways to get FPS 60 and/or overclock the 980 TI ti to like ~1500mhz core / 8000 memory. But even then it would still drop below 60 every now and again. So The point I'm making is there is no/little headroom in the 980 Ti and it doesn't provide any future proofing.

2 hours ago, bomerr said:

980Ti OC'd owner checking in. I run triple AAA titles 60FPS 4k

980Ti != 980

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung