What Language Should I Use?

bisk8nes

Hi guys!

I want to program a system to show graphics in the company I work. Basically, it would be a system that retrieves information from a database and create a series of graphics showing the performance of the company. It should be noted that a lot of people would use the system to include data on it (so I would need different "users" and stuff)

First I was using excel, but since it didnt have a tool to format graphics based on data (like conditioning formatting for cells) I started to use VBA on it. But now I feel that it's too complicated to use a tool for the Job

Well, my question is, WHAT LANGUAGE SHOULD I USE? I was thinking about using Visual Basic or C#, using Microsoft Access as database. Do you guys think that it's a good choice for what i am going to do?

Java is a great language when you are dealing with information that will run on many different machines. 

i5-3570K @4.2ghz | Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (2x8GB) | 120GB Vertex 3/640GB WD 7200RPM | AMD HD7950 @ 1025mhz | 600W Corsair CS600 | Hyper 212 CPU Cooler | 5x 120mm fans 79cfm | Ultra Defender Case

First, Access is terrible use a real database solution, eg MariaDB 

Second language doesn't matter so much, its a simple system, the django python web framework would be great for what you want. 

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

What database are you/is your company using?

Nowadays they're just storing the information on excel

First, Access is terrible use a real database solution, eg MariaDB 

Second language doesn't matter so much, its a simple system, the django python web framework would be great for what you want. 

I was thinking about access because it's easy to use. I'll read about MariaDB :)

Nowadays they're just storing the information on excel

I was thinking about access because it's easy to use. I'll read about MariaDB :)

Access is far from easy to use, proprietary, poor to nonexistant API, unreliable and breaks half the standards for databases. Just don't use it in a corporate environment. 

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

I was actually going to suggest you use a DBMS like PostgreSQL or MySQL and then build a website with PHP and some graph-making tool like JpGraph, which would be accessible to everyone through the web without any need for a program on everyone's computer.

But apparently, as @lutzee suggested, the django python web framework would do something similar so that might be a good choice.

I was actually going to suggest you use a DBMS like PostgreSQL or MySQL and then build a website with PHP and some graph-making tool like JpGraph, which would be accessible to everyone through the web without any need for a program on everyone's computer.

But apparently, as @lutzee suggested, the django python web framework would do something similar so that might be a good choice.

I am still considering that idea. Probably it'd be the easiest way to do it