Samsung introduces first 144hz 3440x1440 displays for next gen GPUs (Displayport 1.3)

asim1999

Samsung is giving finishing touches to a new fleet of high-speed ultra-wide monitors. These monitors will be among the first to leverage DisplayPort 1.3, to serve up blazing fast 144 Hz refresh rates, on resolutions as high as 3440 x 1440 pixels. Samsung has plans of at least two monitors with these specs - a 30-inch, and a 35-inch display. The two will feature VA (vertical-alignment) panels. It's likely that the two could also feature adaptive-sync features, such as AMD FreeSync. The two could come out later this year.

This is great.The only disappointment is requirement of DisplayPort 1.3 to fully leverage the refresh rate and therfore the performance of GPUs unless they support it. This would really be a win if it launched alongside AMD's Polaris GPUs as they support DP 1.3. 

Not sure if Pascal does though.

Source: 

https://www.techpowerup.com/219588/samsung-readies-144-hz-3440-x-1440-ultra-wide-monitors.html

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

YUM!

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Definitely Freesync. Grabbing this.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

While I completely understand the need for DP1.3, are there even any cards that currently have DP1.3?  I thought that it wasn't "officially/technically" released yet?

WANT

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

While I completely understand the need for DP1.3, are there even any cards that currently have DP1.3?  I thought that it wasn't "officially/technically" released yet?

As far as I know it was release recently but it takes time for products to come out with it, because they are now allow to develop it in. It is like thunderbolt 3, that is officially our for a while but it takes time for people to develop products around it.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

DP 1.3 cards aren't here yet. But neither are these monitors. This is the announcement of an upcoming DP 1.3 display, just like we've had announcements for the upcoming DP 1.3 graphics cards.

So with new DP 1.3 there will be 1080p monitor with 240Hz since it was shown on slides lately. Wow, I'd use that for online FPS games.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

DP 1.3 cards aren't here yet. But neither are these monitors. This is the announcement of an upcoming DP 1.3 display, just like we've had announcements for the upcoming DP 1.3 graphics cards.

DP 1.3 was announced and released in 2014, but as of yet no product that has been release has used it. 

http://www.vesa.org/uncategorized/vesa-releases-displayport-1-3-standard/

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

So with new DP 1.3 there will be 1080p monitor with 240Hz since it was shown on slides lately. Wow, I'd use that for online FPS games.

I'm quite certain DP 1.2 is capable of doing 1080p @ 240 Hz already and some 240 Hz monitors have existed for a while now although they are not true 240 Hz (basically 120 Hz with frame insertion to double the refresh rate). It's more of a panel limitation I'd say than anything else.

This is going to be an expensive year /sigh

I'm thinking maybe two Polaris 11 and one of these for that everything on ultra at 21:9 1440p 144Hz? :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Oh lookie another freesync monitor maybe manufactures know something we don't? Like Nvidia supports freesync .

Oh lookie another freesync monitor maybe manufactures know something we don't? Like Nvidia supports freesync .

Are you saying Nvidia is the only good GPU company?

The only Nvidia GPUs worth getting right now is the 980 ti and gtx 950. All the others are beat by AMDs

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Is anyone else sitting here going:

"Awesome! I hope this drives down the price of that new ASUS one so I can get it!"?

the PG348Q? Not me, and the price would only drop like 100$ anyways, tops 150.

I already have mine ordered as it's released tomorrow.

the PG348Q? Not me, and the price would only drop like 100$ anyways, tops 150.

I already have mine ordered as it's released tomorrow.

Where did you order from? I haven't seen any info on release date or pricing.

Where did you order from? I haven't seen any info on release date or pricing.

Inet, Swedish retailer.

It's around 1399$, so 100$ more than the Acer one. I went with Asus because the acer has some issues so I'm hoping the ASUS one doesn't and if it does I'll just return it lol.

Yawn, unless it's uhd I don't really care.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Inet, Swedish retailer.

It's around 1399$, so 100$ more than the Acer one. I went with Asus because the acer has some issues so I'm hoping the ASUS one doesn't and if it does I'll just return it lol.

Strange that it doesn't even show up on any North American retailers.

Yawn, unless it's uhd I don't really care.

Implying 4K makes a big difference over 1440p at that size...

Are you saying Nvidia is the only good GPU company?

The only Nvidia GPUs worth getting right now is the 980 ti and gtx 950. All the others are beat by AMDs

So apparently tying = beat now...

And you do realize the market share differences right?

OT: Wasn't this already a thing? X34 from Acer?

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Implying 4K makes a big difference over 1440p at that size...

It does indeed. Vertical size makes a big impact on how much you see in a window, whereas ultrawide doesn't help when you're viewing web pages or code for example. Not to mention uhd completely contains 3440x1440. As for being able to "tell the difference" in definition, at 40cm I can spot individual pixels on my 28" monitor at times. I wouldn't go much denser than that, but it's not like it's going to waste.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*