Small, powerful and hopefully no compromises: a Prodigy build with an Impact

Hey everyone, thought I'd post up what I've done so far on my new build. It's going to be pretty slow from here on in as I'm basically buying parts paycheck by paycheck, so I hope you'll hang in there with me!

I've always wanted to build something small, but at the same time a build that is not compromised because of that size. Now more than ever, I really don't see the point of having a full size ATX build unless you have a shitload of hard drives in your case  or for some stupid reason you've invested in a 4 way crossfire/sli graphics array. Rant aside, that's my philosophy for this build: small, powerful and hopefully no compromises. 

Before I start, big shout out to fellow Aussie Singularity Computers. Many things in my build are based on one he did a while back, so go check out and subscribe to his YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/SingularityComputers/

So, here's my list of major components:

• i7-4770k

• BitFenix Prodigy Warrior

• ASUS Maximus VI Impact

• Corsair AX760 PSU

• EK-DDC XRES 140 CSQ Acetal Pump and Res Combo

• Alphacool ST30 240mm rad

• Alphacool ST30 280mm rad

• UN Designs Z2 Bracket

• Mayhems Pastel Red Coolant

• Koolance 140mmx2 Fan Shroud

• 2 x Modsmart 140mm Fan Grills

• Primochill Rigid Acrylic Tubing - Clear and Compression Fittings - Black

• EK Supremacy Nickel Acetal CSQ CPU Block

• EK-FC670 Nickel Acetal Full Cover Block

• EK-FC670 GTX Backplate

• Palit GTX-670 Jetstream

• Custom power cable supplies (16AWG wire, appropriate pins, sockets, ect., red and black paracord

I don't have all of the stuff above yet, most notably a CPU and PSU, and also much of the water cooling stuff, but here's what I have so far:

QgURy6V.jpg

First step, strip out the case. All the hard drive bays and the optical bay have to go. 

6sK0d0U.jpg

First mod is the IO. In the standard case it is located in the side panel, but because I don't like it in the side panel and I want to put a window there anyway, I'm moving it into the front of the case. However, the radiator that will be in the front will be in the way for the most part, so I decided to get a jiffy box, put the IO in that and mount it underneath the case. To make this more simple, I reused the existing PCB the IO came on. The only mods I had to do was cut it down to fit into the jiffy box, and I also desoldered the existing power and reset buttons to make way for a new one. So far, this is what I have:

HEebQd1.jpg

And somewhat how it will be placed:

H4ygtfr.jpg

I still have to cut the holes in the front of the box and wire up and mount the new power switch. Once the holes have been cut the PCB can be moved one slot forward in the box so the IO ports are in line with the front of the box. 

At the same time, I've started the side panel window mods. As you can see, I've masked them both up and drawn on the size of the hole and acrylic to be put behind it. My plan is to bolt the acrylic onto the panel with two M4 bolts at the top and 2 at the bottom. 

ts7hYiI.jpg

That's all for now. Hopefully, I'll update before the end of the weekend sometime, but now I'm off to vote so I don't have to stand in a queue on Saturday, get some acrylic cut to size and go hunt down some black M4 bolts for the windows and the top radiator shroud. 

This is going to be good. :) Followed.

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Are you sure the AX750 will fit? Anyways this will be awesome!

Accurate compass arcs! I like it! Precision! :D  +1

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Are you sure the AX750 will fit? Anyways this will be awesome!

It'll be close, but it should. 

@fozbear

I'm thinking of doing a build with the Bitfenix Prodigy too, but it's going to be air-cooled and I might want to include an optical drive. Do you think that is feasible?

@fozbear

I'm thinking of doing a build with the Bitfenix Prodigy too, but it's going to be air-cooled and I might want to include an optical drive. Do you think that is feasible?

Yeah, that's super duper feasible. The prodigy comes in the box with a 200mm front fan and a rear 140mm and also has an optical bay. They only main considerations are graphics card length and CPU cooler height. Most graphics cards should be fine, unless you want to use lots of hard drives. Either way, something like the ASUS DirectCU Mini cards might be your best option. You should also probably get a low profile CPU cooler, although larger ones will fit. Noctua does a great one of these , the NH-L12. 

Can't wait to see more! Good luck and have fun :D

i5 3570k - MSI Z77 GD65 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - Galaxy GTX 780 - Corsair AX650 - Custom CPU Loop - Corsair 650D - OCZ Agility 4 128GB - WD Black 640GB

I'm planning on doing a Bitfenix Prodigy build but i don't know what to do with it so this is going to be very interesting to see.

Sponsored by Twitch and DxRacer.