Virtual Machine stored on NAS

StormEye

I would like to know what is the best practice when it comes to running VM that is stored on NAS.

Currently I have a VM with Windows 10 Pro OS on it that I use it for performing tasks that require installation of pseudo-malware that I do not want to install on my rig (its government and financial institution sites mainly).

It is stored on my NAS (QNAP TS-853 Pro with 5x6TB WD Red Drives), and mapped the drive normally on my rig and run it through VMWare Workstation Player 12. Performance seems to be fine, I think, though there are some delays here and there, which does not bother me too much as I use it for short duration anyway.

I'm keep hearing (well reading online) about creating iSCSI for storing and running VM from there. So, lately I was wondering whether there is a better method of storing and running VM from a NAS than just shoving it in a mapped network drive.

I would like to get some advice from you if you have any.

Summary / TLDR

What is the best practice to store and run VM from NAS?

VM - VMWare Windows 10 Pro

Host - Main Rig (detail in my profile, if that matters)

NAS - QNAP TS-853 Pro with 5 x 6TB WD Red Drives

If other information is required to give more in-depth suggestion, let me know.

Thank you.

Well If you're mapping it, you are creating a tunnel which in result allows a bridge from computer to computer.

SMB3 should be fine for this task if the NAS supports it. SMB3 is also Microsoft's preferred storage protocol for Hyper-V and are doing some advanced feature improvements in this area, likely doesn't apply to your NAS unfortunately since SAMBA doesn't really support any of these new SMB3 features.

As @Kyle Manning has already mentioned NFS should be fine. We have around 1000 VMs running off NFS shares at work but using ESXi not directly within Windows. I haven't actually used an NFS share from within Windows so no idea how good the support for it is and performance.

I can't say there is a best practice on this. As long as it meets your needs and performs the way you need it to, why fix what isn't broke. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

On 1/26/2016 at 9:44 PM, StormEye said:

I would like to know what is the best practice when it comes to running VM that is stored on NAS.

Currently I have a VM with Windows 10 Pro OS on it that I use it for performing tasks that require installation of pseudo-malware that I do not want to install on my rig (its government and financial institution sites mainly).

It is stored on my NAS (QNAP TS-853 Pro with 5x6TB WD Red Drives), and mapped the drive normally on my rig and run it through VMWare Workstation Player 12. Performance seems to be fine, I think, though there are some delays here and there, which does not bother me too much as I use it for short duration anyway.

I'm keep hearing (well reading online) about creating iSCSI for storing and running VM from there. So, lately I was wondering whether there is a better method of storing and running VM from a NAS than just shoving it in a mapped network drive.

I would like to get some advice from you if you have any.

Summary / TLDR

What is the best practice to store and run VM from NAS?

VM - VMWare Windows 10 Pro

Host - Main Rig (detail in my profile, if that matters)

NAS - QNAP TS-853 Pro with 5 x 6TB WD Red Drives

If other information is required to give more in-depth suggestion, let me know.

Thank you.

iSCSI is really good for when you want a device that looks like a hard drive -- programs in Windows, for example, don't always cooperate when installing to a volume that is obviously network storage. For example, I create a 250GB iSCSI target on my server and connected to it from my desktop -- I install games on it.

The other advantage of iSCSI is that the storage is dedicated to whatever is connected to it -- this is only a problem when lots of people are storing stuff on the same NAS volume.

For you, doing stuff by yourself, either option is fine.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking