Switching to Linux, what do I need to know?

Nocial

I've never ever used any kind of Linux based OS and I've been keen on switching from Windows to Linux just for fun's sake.

I've had a small glimpse of the options I can choose from like Ubuntu and Zorin but I'm mostly interested in Mint as it looks sleek and simple.

I don't game a lot so if Linux can run CS:GO and a few old emulators I'm cool with it.

I don't know anything about the console commands or what to do when I first setup Mint so hit me with everything you know.

Set up like a 50gb partition to use with Linux. If you don't know anything about it, you wont get the most functionality.

But I would recommend ubuntu as it's pretty fun to mess around with. With these 50gb partitions you can try every linux distro if you want. 

Set up like a 50gb partition to use with Linux. If you don't know anything about it, you wont get the most functionality.

But I would recommend ubuntu as it's pretty fun to mess around with. With these 50gb partitions you can try every linux distro if you want. 

you can squeeze most distros on an 8GB SD card, linux is really small on its install size.

Guess I'll see to that as it seems like the best way to experience all the distributions.

Just looking at this notifies me It's not gonna be easy learning to use that distribution.

https://www.vivaolinux.com.br/imagens/dicas/comunidade/arch-blue.png

well, arch linux is the OS equivalent of a pile of un-sorted ikea parts that build an entire living room, but theres no manuals or boxes to look at.

or to put it more harshly: "the install disk comes with a package manager and a text editor, good luck."

it's not as complicated as it looks btw :)

I guess I can make out most of the stuff, 2 consoles, hardware info widgets, files and folders.

It's just not easy to keep track of though :P

Guess I'll see to that as it seems like the best way to experience all the distributions.

oh boy...

43FHEd3.jpg

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

well, arch linux is the OS equivalent of a pile of un-sorted ikea parts that build an entire living room, but theres no manuals or boxes to look at.

or to put it more harshly: "the install disk comes with a package manager and a text editor, good luck."

I had trouble putting together one small table from Ikea; how in the world am I gonna put together a whole living room that too without instructions...

Kill me...

If you want the simplest most user friendly experience get Linux Mint.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

oh boy...

Holy! :o 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

If you want the simplest most user friendly experience get Linux Mint.

I knew Mint was the only one for me, Ubuntu looks cool but I'm really used to having a task bar and never really got a chance to get a Mac experience.

Holy! :o

Them being all free is a bigger mouth opener.

I knew Mint was the only one for me, Ubuntu looks cool but I'm really used to having a task bar and never really got a chance to get a Mac experience.

I have most of my family now on Linux Mint and they mostly don't have any complaints about it.

PS: mint is effectively the same as Ubuntu just with a more user friendly gui stuck on it. B)

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

The arch wiki is pretty damn good

Comb it with a brick

As an experienced linux user I have to warn you about the bad support for AMD graphics cards. If you have a nVidia GPU choose Ubuntu or an Ubuntu based distro and use the xorg-edgers ppa to install the drivers and nvidia-settings easily.

[never touch a running system]

My advice is to look around at a few Ubuntu based distributions (Mint, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome, Elementary) pick one you like and stick with it. Give it a solid month and if you don't like it try again. Another piece of advice is that using the terminal/command line is not at all necessary with a Ubuntu based distribution, however learning the basics such as installing software and adding repositories will make using it much easier. 

After using Ubuntu and its desktop Unity for years I recently moved to Ubuntu Gnome, trying out the various distributions and seeing the hard work and thought process of the creators is what makes using Linux great (imo). I would personally avoid using a windows clone because I think it goes against the point of trying something new. My personal recommendation would be to try Elementary or Ubuntu Gnome.

Lord of Helium.

I had trouble putting together one small table from Ikea; how in the world am I gonna put together a whole living room that too without instructions...

You could try using the Architect Linux installer.  It's makes installing Arch really easy.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads

The best advice is learn how to look up problems/questions/advice with Google.  You'll probably run into a lot of instances when you're starting out where you need to figure out how to do something new or unfamiliar, and chances are someone has already answered that question before.

The next best advice is learn to use the command line.  With Mint, you ca do a lot of stuf without touching the command line, but knowing how to use it will make some things a lot faster, and will give you a really powerful tool for just doing daily computer stuff.

Beyond searching for your answers on the internet RTFM First.

Nothing is more annoying then having to answer a question that would have taken you 10 seconds to look up in the manual.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.