Can you get a GOOD gaming PC at Best Buy?

Be honest - did you guys intend to release this video just now, or did you realize the link had been leaked early and just said "screw it then, here you go!"  ? :)

The vessel video was released on 1/17, and this is a week later. So, sounds like it was on schedule to me. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

The vessel video was released on 1/17, and this is a week later. So, sounds like it was on schedule to me. 

well there was a link to it in the Dell laptop video and lots of people started watching this yesterday, and Linus even tweeted about noticing that had gotten messed up

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Prebuilt PC makers tend to favor putting in overkill CPUs and amounts of RAM and totally cheaping out on the GPU.

What I've seen a fair bit, and have suggested a few people do, is buy a less expensive PC with one of those overkill CPUs/RAM amounts that don't have a GPU in it already and then just toss in a GTX750-950.

The PSUs are usually of a decent enough quality that they can handle a 750/950 no problem.

PC makers like HP, ASUS, Acer ect honestly don't want to burn peoples' houses down or take out the system you just bought, it is bad for business.

Its kind of funny to see everyone get so worked up because Linus actually objectively measured the result rather than just fanboy out like "OMG you can build the same system for the same price!!!!!!"

Yeah, Best Buy computer reps suck, and so do most of their reps in general.  (At their jobs, not as people or anything) But you really should know that going in.  Its interesting that a decent graphics card systems can be had there now as I always remember a huge gap in their PC stock between their Highest end APU system and their lowest discrete GPU.  Usually they'd reserve discrete GPU systems for 1,500 and up.  

If you go to best buy and ask them to sell you a gaming PC, chances are they will sell to you what they were told was "gaming".  You sometimes get a diamond in the rough with someone who knows about computers as a personal interest, but its rare.  

Problem is if you don't know what you're doing the salesidiot at Worst Buy will end up selling you some shitty iBuyPower PC with a terrifying PSU, an i7 K series on an H series chipset, 16gb of ram, and a GT 730 for $2000. Sure you might get a decent rep but its a luck of the draw, and once they're done selling you a box of shit with an i7 jammed in it they'll sell you a $50 wireless adapter your computer already has and a $100 Monster HDMI cable that performs the same as a $2.50 Monoprice HDMI cable because it'll make things sharper, then they'll sell you a Razer keyboard for $150 that has mushy ass scissor switches in it and a matching overpriced shitty mouse and mousematt to go with it that'll break a few months later.

And when you get your new rattly ass PC home and set up you'll buy Fallout 4 and GTA V and then try and play the games at ultra settings like the salesman told you you could, you have an i7 after all. Then when the shit GPU in your new iBuyPower system can barely keep up with that you lower settings, then lower them again, eventually you're on very low and things look worse than your PS4 you look up how to make things faster, learn what a GPU is, and immediately find some shitty slideshow list of "the best/most expensive GPUs" definitively telling you that you should go and buy a $5000 Quadro M6000 or a $1000 Titan X because they're the best GPUs. Your wallet dry and not understanding that you could just drop a 950 or something in there since if the GPU that came in your $2000 computer can't game how can one of these cheaper GPUs do it? This adventure complete you are now one of those people with a "killer" gaming PC and a console but who prefers gaming on their console, and firmly believe that PC gaming is overpriced and stupid.

*snip*

it is a plague, no question! :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I think ASUS and other companies just throw them at bestbuy and they sell it.  So at least the manufacturers know something about gaming.  

to be fair to the Canadian dollar they dont offer that computer in the us. the ca020 indicates that is a Canadian only model where the ones here are usXXX

for 700 best buy offers this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-desktop-intel-core-i5-4gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-silver/1312057256.p?id=mp1312057256&skuId=1312057256

with a i5-4460, integrated hd graphics, 4gb of single channel memory, and standard hdd thats not a hybrid one like in Linus'

or a smilar one but with an fx-8130, r7 240 (is the better than integrated?), 8gm ram, and a 2tb hdd only

to get something compairable from best buy and asus in the US you have to the "gaming" one, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-desktop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1tb-8gb-hybrid-hard-drive-gray/4669700.p?id=1219794341430&skuId=4669700

it has simlar specs to the one Linus' used but a geforce 960

it costs $850 us

to get a 

This is much cheaper and with similar components with a better PSU. WHY LIE-NUS why?

Why are Canadian bought PC parts so much more expensive when you convert the currency?

My i5 6500 is bad and can't even maintain 4.5ghz, and 4.4ghz causes it to slowly become unstable over weeks with a vcore of 1.395. FML

This is much cheaper and with similar components with a better PSU. WHY LIE-NUS why?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cgd86h
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/cgd86h/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($183.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 370 2GB Core Edition Video Card  ($129.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($53.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($89.99 @ NCIX US) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.89 @ OutletPC) 
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard  ($6.99 @ NCIX US) 
Mouse: Cobra E-3lue Wired Optical Mouse  ($8.95 @ Amazon) 
Other: build fee ($50.00)
Total: $727.53
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-25 18:01 EST-0500

Aren't those american prices... that's why.  Try taking 50% off your budget and try again ;)

Aren't those american prices... that's why.  Try taking 50% off your budget and try again ;)

I'll work on it again

My i5 6500 is bad and can't even maintain 4.5ghz, and 4.4ghz causes it to slowly become unstable over weeks with a vcore of 1.395. FML

Linus is now officially a heretic. Next thing you know he starts using Apple. Oh well.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($183.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H DDR3 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($81.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($37.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($150.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Seagate  2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  ($94.95 @ Amazon)

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card  ($238.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($76.82 @ Amazon)

Total: $925.71

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-25 02:48 EST-0500

Windows8.1 can be purchased for $30 from G2A.com

Ubuntu 14.04 can be downloaded for free from http://lug.mtu.edu/ubuntu-iso/14.04.3/ (Spins are available from the respective spins website).

I thought that skylake couldn't use DDR3 ram.

Type|Item|Price

:----|:----|:----

**CPU** | [intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80662i56400) | $183.99 @ NCIX US 

**Motherboard** | [Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-h110ma) | $49.99 @ Amazon 

**Memory** | [G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f42400c15s8gnt) | $34.99 @ Newegg 

**Storage** | [Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/toshiba-internal-hard-drive-hdkpc03) | $39.99 @ NCIX US 

**Video Card** | [PowerColor Radeon R9 380 2GB PCS+ Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/powercolor-video-card-axr93802gbd5dhe) | $149.99 @ Newegg 

**Case** | [Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/deepcool-case-tesseractbf) | $28.99 @ Newegg 

**Power Supply** | [Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx500) | $29.99 @ Newegg 

**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-kw900140) | $89.99 @ NCIX US 

| *Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts* |

| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $647.92

| Mail-in rebates | -$40.00

| **Total** | **$607.92**

| Generated by [PCPartPicker](http://pcpartpicker.com) 2016-01-25 18:43 EST-0500 |

Yes I do know you could get windows elsewhere.

I thought that skylake couldn't use DDR3 ram.

it can, but it's complicated, and to be avoided if possible

I work in the computer department at a best buy. Every single one of us twelve computer guys has built custom PCs. All of us also frequent Linus Tech Tips youtube channel (seriously all of us come into work wearing LTT sweat shirts). Also sometimes when you find salesmen who have no idea what they're talking about, it's usually because they are trying to help out in an area of the store they aren't familiar with. Example, if I have to help out in the camera section you can bet that you'll see me Googling questions so I make sure not to give wrong information. 

I worked in BB Mobile at a BB that was rated the best in the state. The people in the PC department knew NOTHING about computers and would usually recommend the strangest options for what the customer wanted. The training they make workers do is BS, they don't cover the detail specs or benchmarks. It's pretty much a wordier version of what the little tabs by the models say (pure fluff to get dumb people to buy it w/o question). The only way someone knows what they're talking about is if they mess with PC's outside of work.

The reason I know that is because I was cross-trained and whenever it got busy they would take Mobile dept people and throw them in the PC section (since some of the tablet, 2-in1, etc. overlapped). 

Product wise, the few pre-builts they had were hugely overpriced (what they sold for +$2000 I could easily see built for ~$1000-1200. Component wise, they have hardly anything. A few 780s (I worked there in early 2015...) and no name fans. They have a few HDD and SD's but those are pretty much standard everywhere. 

While I did get an employee discount on things, my discount price still was more than getting the product from Amazon or online lol. The only time it worked out was my razer mouse that got reduced to $65. Amazon had it for $65 to but I didn't want to wait for shipping.

I say BB is only good for emergency buys or low end stuff. Never anything major (new TV, computer, etc.).

Best Buy price matches. You can literally walk into a Best buy and walk out with the thing you want for the exact same price amazon has it for with no shipping. 

Best Buy price matches. You can literally walk into a Best buy and walk out with the thing you want for the exact same price amazon has it for with no shipping. 

Yeah but there's fine print that they don't talk about like he has to be the exact make/model/color, direct from amazon and not a 3rd party, not on sale, etc. Some cashiers don't care and ring you up (I did it myself if the person was nice) but other times no luck. Plus, 9/10 the item I want is not available in best buy stores. Recently, went there for a 6p case, only sold on bestbuy.com...but they have 5 types of Nexus 6 cases :D

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

My Idea for a custom rig at around this price point.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WFCmYJ

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WFCmYJ/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($138.89 @ OutletPC)                                                       
CPU Cooler: SilenX EFZ-92HA2 54.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($12.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($56.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Mushkin Essentials 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($28.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($58.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($309.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Azza SIRIUS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ NCIX US) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N150PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter  ($10.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $712.60 USD = $ 1016 CAD
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-25 20:38 EST-0500

My CPU score on CPUBenchmarks.net : 8022
My GPU score on VideocardBenchmarks.net : 8664

Bestbuy's CPU score on CPUBenchmarks.net : 6505
Bestbuy's GPU score on VideocardBenchmarks.net :4218 

Even without an operating system My idea is still almost $100 CAD over budget, but I think the extra price to performance is worth it.

watching this video makes me sad how terrible our CAD is.....

Thanks Harper!

sigh, everything is expensive.....

As much as I like DIY, there is no way we can do parts for parts of the exact same components and come out cheaper. OEM wins with the OS and other bundle items that they offer.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

As much as I like DIY, there is no way we can do parts for parts of the exact same components and come out cheaper. OEM wins with the OS and other bundle items that they offer.

Let me just say I would not want this build I am going to list, I also think that $900 pre-built is complete garbage.  A waste of money.

$23 cheaper than the OEM.  Did I leave anything out?

No rebates:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($264.00 @ Vuugo)  <<Just as fast as the 6400, maybe faster.

Motherboard: MSI H81M-E34 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($76.25 @ Vuugo)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($53.50 @ Vuugo)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($64.19 @ Vuugo)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R7 370 2GB PCS+ Video Card  ($189.99 @ NCIX)

Case: Xion XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($25.99 @ Amazon Canada)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($60.16 @ DirectCanada)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($128.00 @ shopRBC)

Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard  ($8.99 @ NCIX)

Mouse: Microsoft Optical Mouse 200 for Business Wired Optical Mouse  ($6.00 @ shopRBC)

Total: $877.07

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-26 01:13 EST-0500

I'm a 10 year vet of retail computer sales.

Your wife's experience is not uncommon. Saying the difference is the look of a system is not wrong - there's plenty of computers that I sell that are rather weak, but are decorated with lights and aggressive plastic to look more gamer-y. And then you got a rather basic looking computer that actually performed rather well.

The sales person issue is common - you don't know who's wearing a blue shirt. It could be a stocker, a manager who doesn't actually work with tech, or it could be a many year season vet like myself. It is a random roll. Don't ever be afraid to ask "I am trying to buy a gaming PC, do you have anyone who's especially versed on the topic?" - Most store workers will not mind passing that off. A store like Best Buy is not commissioned, meaning they're trying to reach revenue goals. They'll get it to the person who can get the most Revenue per hour, which if you ask that, will likely be the person who knows the most. Also, Best Buy specific: If two people help you out, if you do buy something, ask them to please include the first sales person on the sale if they treated you respectfully. 

The go-to-a-different store problem you had is not uncommon. My store right now, for instance, does not carry gaming PCs - we are rather small and in an area where GPCs just don't sell much. The big store 30 minutes away does. When we do a local pickup order, it has to go to the other store, get recognized, then get picked and put at a register. It definitely happens where we have one left of a computer, order it, then it's in the process of being sold. It's an annoyance, but it's how things work. It is not an organizational or logistical problem usually, it's just bad luck. In your case, at least they called.

Also, lay off workers for offering the extended warranty. It's part of the sales, in a lot of stores it's how sales people make money individually (the computer might go to the store, but upsells like that might be part of personal earnings). It is not hurting you listening to it. If you want to make a sales person just hate you, cut them off when they're selling something like that. Someone does that to me, you're guaranteeing you I'm gonna press on everything then because my biggest upsell is gone, so I gotta try for everything else - Office, Internet Security software, power options (power strips and UPSes), cables, cases for laptops, ect. Let me finish and say no thank you, I usually assume you've got a budget. But I still have 2-3 things I have to hit (usually Office, Internet Security and Warranty). Let me do my job and we'll get done faster, and you just might get something you could need but not know.