Overclocking my APU bros

Let's start on a serious note on this thread, I'm sorry I boasted a bit too much earlier but I'm really confused.

Right now I'm downloading Unigine Valley to benchmark this, but here's what I got from Furmark:

Furmark Stock 730MHz: 372 points

Furmark OC 1800MHz: 472 points

U. Valley Stock 730MHz: 506 (Directx11)

U. Valley OC 1800MHz: 547

So a 100 point improvement, I'm pretty sure that's good right? Any opinions? (And please no replies regarding the legitimacy of this, it doesn't matter)

Also what kind of voltage settings should I be using at 1800MHz? My mobo has an "auto" option for the APU voltage, is that ideal?

My ~$200 USD build:

AMD A8-7600    G. Skill Ripjaws Z @1800 CAS 8     EVGA 500w 80+ PSU    Gigabyte GAF2A68HM-DS2H Motherboard

Let's start on a serious note on this thread, I'm sorry I boasted a bit too much earlier but I'm really confused.

Right now I'm downloading Unigine Valley to benchmark this, but here's what I got from Furmark:

Stock 730MHz: 372 points

OC 1800MHz: 472 points

So a 100 point improvement, I'm pretty sure that's good right? Any opinions? (And please no replies regarding the legitimacy of this, it doesn't matter)

Also what kind of voltage settings should I be using at 1800MHz? My mobo has an "auto" option for the APU voltage, is that ideal?

I assume you are talking about the igpu part ...

Considering you are at 2.5X the stock clocks , you should be getting better performance. My guess is RAM limitations. What ram are you using ?

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Stock 730MHz: 372 points

OC 1800MHz: 472 points

also , don't use the auto voltage stting , it will use more voltage than needed.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I assume you are talking about the igpu part ...

Considering you are at 2.5X the stock clocks , you should be getting better performance. My guess is RAM limitations. What ram are you using ?

Read his sig.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

You also won't achieve stability when pushing it hard when on auto voltage - it will just crash/need a CMOS reset. 

you need to up the clock and up the voltage in sequence to reach the threshold of your chip. When voltage is at it's limit (I'm not sure what that is for the AMD APU's) and you can't get stable results, you need to downclock the chip, then test again.

Downclocking it also might mean you can downclock the voltage, because at the threshold it usually requires an exponential amount of voltage to push it even remotely further. 

Read his sig.

then the OP should probably OC his ram to 2400 mhz . Setting the cas# to something higher might help to achieve stability

What clockspeed did it show the cores running at in Valley, it should show it in the upper right hand corner below the FPS.

What clockspeed did it show the cores running at in Valley, it should show it in the upper right hand corner below the FPS.

I've heard this can be inaccurate. 

then the OP should probably OC his ram to 2400 mhz . Setting the cas# to something higher might help to achieve stability

My mobo refuses to go above 2133MHz for the RAM, no matter the latency. The system just starts looping at 2400MHz

also , don't use the auto voltage stting , it will use more voltage than needed.

Okay I'll keep this in mind... but how much voltage should I use then? And like I said before, overclocking the RAM is a hassle for me. If you have any tips on it though, I would be glad to listen.

My ~$200 USD build:

AMD A8-7600    G. Skill Ripjaws Z @1800 CAS 8     EVGA 500w 80+ PSU    Gigabyte GAF2A68HM-DS2H Motherboard

My mobo refuses to go above 2133MHz for the RAM, no matter the latency. The system just starts looping at 2400MHz

Okay I'll keep this in mind... but how much voltage should I use then? And like I said before, overclocking the RAM is a hassle for me. If you have any tips on it though, I would be glad to listen.

IIRC the graphics voltage is not the same as CPU voltage on the fm2 platform, it was tied to CPU-NB on mine IIRC.

Try 9-12-10-28 1T 1.7V for 2400

IIRC the graphics voltage is not the same as CPU voltage on the fm2 platform, it was tied to CPU-NB on mine IIRC.

Try 9-12-10-28 1T 1.7V for 2400

Okay, hold on while I try that.

EDIT: I don't think my mobo has that option, but I OCed the NB anyways (+0.144v) is that good?

My ~$200 USD build:

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this bottleneck? 1800MHz shouldn't be running so poorly.

My ~$200 USD build:

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this bottleneck? 1800MHz shouldn't be running so poorly.

Yeah get a real PC.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Yeah get a real PC.

Can you please stop insulting me?

My ~$200 USD build:

Wait did you fix your mutilated i7 when you  got it "back from the dead"? I remember that thread.

Okay, hold on while I try that.

EDIT: I don't think my mobo has that option, but I OCed the NB anyways (+0.144v) is that good?

Well it's a bit like the core, you should go for slightly smaller steps. I'd start with like +50mV so on so on.

Wait did you fix your mutilated i7 when you got it "back from the dead"? I remember that thread.

I did.

he is using a AMD board. It has nothing to do with Intel boards in terms of power circuitry functions

They're pretty similar... I was using Z170 as a standard for any motherboard older than it should NOT run on auto voltages.

blackshades on

Normally overclocking doesn't scale linearly, you'll have diminished returns the higher you go.

That and honestly I think the 1800MHz is a bug and you're not really that high so that's why it's performing more poorly than you expect.

Normally overclocking doesn't scale linearly, you'll have diminished returns the higher you go.

That and honestly I think the 1800MHz is a bug and you're not really that high so that's why it's performing more poorly than you expect.

Yeah I figured. I decided to leave it down at 1433MHz, it seems it peaks around there performance-wise.

My ~$200 USD build: