AMD Driver stopped working

Hi everyone,

A couple days back I got the "Unfortunately, AMD driver stopped working and successfully recovered itself.." message while I was playing BO3 and I hard-restarted the computer and everything was fine. 2 days ago it happened again and I did the same thing and it was okay for a while. Today I had got that message and I just have closed the game through task manager and I got it again after about 2 hours. Is my GPU or RAM failing? I was looking into buying a new GPU, but I don't have money as of yet.
              Rig:

- CPU: Intel core i7 4790 (non-K;stock speeds)

- Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 HD3

- RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 8GB 2400MHz (XMP profile on;nothing tweaked)

- GPU: Sapphire Toxic R9 280X (stock speeds)

- 1 SSD and 1 HDD

- PSU: Corsair CX750

Thanks in advance!

- Mike

Ah yes...the imfamous "amd driver's crashing" (don't worry, it's no longer a problem)...All I had to do was go back to an older driver 2 years ago...all of their new drivers have been fine for me thou :P

Reinstall drivers, if that doesn't work, try the Beta drivers or older drivers 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

AMD driver stopped working and successfully recovered

you could use TDR Manipulator: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8&sid=448031250cb54ff9636b17ac5c770687 and disable TDR completely

but !, if you experience freezes, crashes, reboots, visual artifacts or any other sort of anomaly, it's most likely that the video card is broken

you could also try with a new/different PSU

Hi everyone,

A couple days back I got the "Unfortunately, AMD driver stopped working and successfully recovered itself.." message while I was playing BO3 and I hard-restarted the computer and everything was fine. 2 days ago it happened again and I did the same thing and it was okay for a while. Today I had got that message and I just have closed the game through task manager and I got it again after about 2 hours. Is my GPU or RAM failing? I was looking into buying a new GPU, but I don't have money as of yet.

Rig:

- CPU: Intel core i7 4790 (non-K;stock speeds)

- Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 HD3

- RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 8GB 2400MHz (XMP profile on;nothing tweaked)

- GPU: Sapphire Toxic R9 280X (stock speeds)

- 1 SSD and 1 HDD

- PSU: Corsair CX750

Thanks in advance!

- Mike

Have you tried selling your AMD gpu and buying an Nvidia one?

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

Try installing Crimson and update your GPU drivers.

Already have the latest Crimson drivers ;) !

you could use TDR Manipulator: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8&sid=448031250cb54ff9636b17ac5c770687 and disable TDR completely

but !, if you experience freezes, crashes, reboots, visual artifacts or any other sort of anomaly, it's most likely that the video card is broken

you could also try with a new/different PSU

Different PSU didn't work, tried it. I'll give TDR manipulator a shot.

Have you tried selling your AMD gpu and buying an Nvidia one?

I'm looking at a GTX 970 haha. I'm a huge Nvidia fan, but at the time buying my shit only Nvidia cards were 750Ti and 760..

Thank you guys for the replies!

AMD doesn't think the 290 deserves their attention, that's why I sold mine and went Nvidia.

But running an older driver can help, just make sure to run DDU before switching.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Yo does anyone know how to use this TDR Manipulator? I know how to switch on and off, but do I need to mess with these settings down?

AMD doesn't think the 290 deserves their attention, that's why I sold mine and went Nvidia.

But running an older driver can help, just make sure to run DDU before switching.

This happens with older drivers aswell. I really like Crimson dude. It doubles my frame rate man

Make sure that your GPU is not overheating. Double check to see if your card is clean, and maybe adjust the clockspeed if you are overclocking.

This happens with older drivers aswell. I really like Crimson dude. It doubles my frame rate man

No, it does not double your framerate lol. But the later Crimson drivers do cause instability in the overclocks of 290s. Like I said I had one a week ago. Had to pull my overclock back 50mhz

Make sure that your GPU is not overheating. Double check to see if your card is clean, and maybe adjust the clockspeed if you are overclocking.

It's at 80 degrees when gaming and goes up to 84 maximum. It's fairly clean, but not literally dustless and no overclocking. I even tried to underclock, didn't help.

No, it does not double your framerate lol. But the later Crimson drivers do cause instability in the overclocks of 290s. Like I said I had one a week ago. Had to pull my overclock back 50mhz

It actually did some serious things to my frame rate. Went from 55 (latest regular driver) to 119 (latest Crimson driver) fps in Black Ops 3. And it's a 280X

It actually did some serious things to my frame rate. Went from 55 (latest regular driver) to 119 (latest Crimson driver) fps in Black Ops 3. And it's a 280X

Ether you had something going on or you didn't even have a driver LOL, but I digress.

Are you sure you're not running a overclock? Not even the memory?

Ether you had something going on or you didn't even have a driver LOL, but I digress.

Are you sure you're not running a overclock? Not even the memory?

Haven't touched clock speeds. Only thing in my system "overclocked" is the RAM, but to it's advertised speed.

Damn, how about the voltage? You might try uninstalling Afterburner if you're running that and install Trixx. Though TRIXX doesn't play well with 15.12.

Damn, how about the voltage? You might try uninstalling Afterburner if you're running that and install Trixx. Though TRIXX doesn't play well with 15.12.

I have actually Trixx AND Afterburner and no voltage is stock as well.

You could run DDU and do a fresh install again. Or one one my tricks is when you do that change the PCi slot you're using. You can always change it back.

What is a DDU? I suspect it's a complete uninstall of graphics drivers

Yes, it's software that does it for you. Puts your PC in safemode and completely removes the drivers and software connected to Crimson. But it can leave empty folders behind.

Unofficial, search DDU and you'll find it. On my phone or I'd leave a link. Make sure you have the latest version or it will leave Crimson behind.