Calling all programmers! I needs your opinions.

Chris is awesome

Hello there programmers,

I was just wondering what languages you all used and why. I am doing some research for my computing coursework, and have only ever learned VB.net as it's the only one my teacher uses herself. Anyhow if you could please take a moment out of your day to help a student with his coursework it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. msgbox("Thank You :)")

I only write HTML 5 and a little CSS 3 i want to learn Javascript and jQuery 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

I've gone through just about all languages I've come across (except for ruby, pearl, python and objective C), but am currently stuck in the the most basics of web-related languages due to work - So HTML, CSS, JS, PHP all day long... Would love to get back to C or Java.

Cheers,

Linus

'programmers'

-----

PRINT "BASIC"

Sorry but i'm working my way up there! ;) 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Languages I've actively used: PHP, C, SQL, Javascript, HTML, CSS.

Languages I've learned: All of the above, C++, Java, Python, and little tidbits of assorted languages.

What I've learned from sampling many languages, and reading blogs from various programmers:

- To learn the basics, pick any language. C is a good one to grasp most of the concepts.

- To learn object-oriented programming (OOP), learn Java. The documentations do a fantastic job of explaining the premise of OOP.

- For rapid development, Python is excellent. It allows you to interactively build applications using the interpreter. And it has countless plugins for everything you can possibly imagine.

- Learn the concepts and programming practices, not the language. The same concepts are applicable to all languages in some form or another, they just use different syntax.

- VB.Net is terrible for learning good programming practices.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Languages I've actively used: PHP, C, SQL, Javascript, HTML, CSS.

Languages I've learned: All of the above, C++, Java, Python, and little tidbits of assorted languages.

What I've learned from sampling many languages, and reading blogs from various programmers:

- To learn the basics, pick any language. C is a good one to grasp most of the concepts.

- To learn object-oriented programming (OOP), learn Java. The documentations do a fantastic job of explaining the premise of OOP.

- For rapid development, Python is excellent. It allows you to interactively build applications using the interpreter. And it has countless plugins for everything you can possibly imagine.

- Learn the concepts and programming practices, not the language. The same concepts are applicable to all languages in some form or another, they just use different syntax.

- VB.Net is terrible for learning good programming practices.

Thanks for the great reply. I will be sure to think about what you said.

I use C++ because that's what the club I joined at school taught us. It's really versatile and useful for just about anything too.

I have also done some HTML, CSS and javascript, because they're the only way to make a website.

PHP is a good free and easy (ish) to use server side coding language which I have used to make my making websites easier.

HTTP/2 203

I use PHP, SQL & Javascript daily (ofc along with HTML and CSS).

Started out randomly with PHP and I'm stuck since.

($quoted ? answer($str) : ignore());

Python

It is easy to learn, you can do pretty much anything with it, and used is so many things it is really helpful to know.

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

SQL HTML and CSS are not programing languages.

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald

Worked with C#, Python, PHP & JS (HTML/CSS too, but they don't count imo). Currently actively using Java (CS Course / maintaining Bukkit plugins). Taking paper on Programming languages next year which, to my memory, involves Haskell. Will definitely be looking into using some C though.

Languages I've used: Pascal, Java, Visual Basic 6, C/C++, CalcBasic (TI-83+ basic), Javascript in Unity3D.

Languages with light experience: Assembly, Python

I only program as a hobby right now. I really like C because you are pretty much guaranteed to be able to run your program on any programmable hardware with the prevalence of gcc. And while I haven't used in on a large enough scale to properly enjoy it C++ appears to me to do a great job of handling the complexity of massive projects.

I'm slowly easing into python. I figure for hobby work their is a lot I won't have to worry about that I do in C/C++, or so everyone says. And if any performance hits become an issue I can always fall back on C or consider time saved on programming a net positive and spend more money on hardware. But really I imagine we all wish we had a practical excuse to buy a couple full server racks to play with :D.

I hear Javascript in Unity3D isn't quite the same as real javascript. And honestly it was close enough to my knowledge of C++ that i just dove in and started working. It almost didn't feel like a different language. Of course you have to keep in mind that Javascript is based on Java which is based on and very similar to C++, so go figure.

Edit: Oh, and assembly is a lot of fun. But I would say that a knowledge of the architecture it is representing is almost a requirement to properly understand the code. And while technically not a language learning the logic that goes into building and designing computer hardware is also lots of fun (though sometimes with a capital 'F' and capital 'U' :P ).

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

Languages I learned/used in school: VB, Java, C, C++, Prolog, ML, Ruby

Languages I've used for work: C#, JavaScript

From my experience, everything I learned in school was useless with the exception of Java and C++. I primarily use C# for work, and my Java experience translated well as they are very similar languages.

SQL HTML and CSS are not programing languages.

No sir, but these are still languages and I use them. The question was: "what languages you all use and why". Ain't correct to answer with these then?

No sir, but these are still languages and I use them. The question was: "what languages you all use and why". Ain't correct to answer with these then?

No you "ain't".. the title said Calling all programmers

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

No you "ain't".. the title said Calling all programmers

The title, yes sure, I can read. But the question itself is to be answered, not the title.

Besides; HTML & CSS was noted with (  ) due to it is markup, not a programming language.

SQL on the other hand, what makes this a non-programming-language to you?

I started with some BASIC. really simple stuff.

Then had to learn Delphi(or pascal if you call it that), which i loved doing and got pretty good at. Still use it today for small programs for myself. It's easy and fast to get something going, which i prefer.

Next i had to learn JAVA. I prefer this language now because its easier to work with. The only problem for me personally is GUI's. I can't get that working right with JAVA. Still prefer Delphi if i have to make something with a GUI.

Those are the languages i learned in order. Delphi and JAVA i've done the most with and know the most about. I've also worked a little with C/C++, Python, PHP, Javascript and C#. I also know HTML and SQL, but as said before, those aren't really programming languages. The reason i'd say is that you can't build an entire program with them, you'll need another programming language to create a whole working and useable program. At least that's what makes something a programming language for me... maybe i'm alone in that.

I have no signature

The title, yes sure, I can read. But the question itself is to be answered, not the title.

Besides; HTML & CSS was noted with (  ) due to it is markup, not a programming language.

SQL on the other hand, what makes this a non-programming-language to you?

Yer I have no idea why I said SQL.

C++

C#

Java

python

HTML 5

PHP

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Yer I have no idea why I said SQL.

There you go, problem solved.

From what i have heard, you will get great marks for your computing if you use java and do OOP