Some questions about Virtual Machines

Hey guys Im wanting to install a VM just try it out since I havent used one before. I just have some general questions though.

1) what the best/safest VM to install? Does it matter?

2) How can I be secure while using a VM?? 

"Ravioli Ravioli give me the Formuoli"

I basically want a VM to fuck with scammers. Im always getting calls from the typical Indian "certified" microsoft technican.

What do you mean by safest and most secure? I like VirtualBox.

Basically, I don't want any traces to my original computer and network.

1.) Are you talking about what software to use to accomplish a VM?

2.) If you're talking about keeping the host machine safe, the VM is isolated from the system and you have almost nothing to worry about. If you're talking about keeping the VM itself secure, the standard procedures should be fine.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1.) Are you talking about what software to use to accomplish a VM?

2.) If you're talking about keeping the host machine safe, the VM is isolated from the system and you have almost nothing to worry about. If you're talking about keeping the VM itself secure, the standard procedures should be fine.

1) yeah.

and okay thanks just want to make sure.

I basically want a VM to fuck with scammers. Im always getting calls from the typical Indian "certified" microsoft technican.

In that case, just get VirtualBox and find a spare WinXP install to stick in it. 

The Cheap SFF Wonder -- Turning a Core 2 Duo SFF machine into a useful member of computer society!

i5 3570 -- AS.Rock Z77 Pro3 -- 12GB DDR3 -- R9 380X -- 840Evo 500GB/1TB HDD 

I speak the honest truth with a bit of snark mixed in. I'm sorry if it doesn't line up with your beliefs.

Haha yes! I hate those god dam "totally real" computer experts...

I use Oracle VM Box, Its a bit hard to setup but you get use to it. Just remember to not share folders between the VM and the Host when doing your payback :)

Wow this was old as heck, Need to update this signature!

Also one more question.... could you run VM inside of a VM inside of a VM? Lol. Like I said, never used one so I dont know much about it.

Haha yes! I hate those god dam "totally real" computer experts...

I use Oracle VM Box, Its a bit hard to setup but you get use to it. Just remember to not share folders between the VM and the Host when doing your payback :)

Haha! I've been watching a bunch of youtube videos of "Scamming the scammers" and it makes me want to do it so bad whenever they call me again! 

Also one more question.... could you run VM inside of a VM inside of a VM? Lol. Like I said, never used one so I dont know much about it.

I think technically you can, but I've never been crazy enough to try it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Hey guys Im wanting to install a VM just try it out since I havent used one before. I just have some general questions though.

1) what the best/safest VM to install? Does it matter?

2) How can I be secure while using a VM?? 

I have a VM, It can run pretty much most platforms. PM me and I can walk you through or if you have skype I can give you instructions.

Virtualbox by ORACLE

Just don't download any insane ridicolous virus', I have done what you are trying to do, my host pc is completely safe.

It is very hard for the virus to infect the host pc if you never touch the files of the VM from your host pc.

I have over 10 "optmizer pro" clones and stuff like that, just be aware not to get some insane stuff like trojan backdoors that will enable the guy to access your internet when the VM is online and use it for trafficking.

PM me if you want more help

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

Haha! I've been watching a bunch of youtube videos of "Scamming the scammers" and it makes me want to do it so bad whenever they call me again! 

It's crack up when you get there IP address and say the city they are in and such... they freak the hell out lol.

Good Luck, and teach those scum bags a lesson :D

Another question...  When I allocate X amount of RAM and X amount of HDD space.... If I delete that VM it deletes that allocated space too? 

It's crack up when you get there IP address and say the city they are in and such... they freak the hell out lol.

Good Luck, and teach those scum bags a lesson :D

Haha that sounds awesome!! How did you get their IP address? 

Haha that sounds awesome!! How did you get their IP address? 

I never did this, I saw a YT video. Sadly IDK the programs name or website to get it from though :(, The program shows internet traffic incoming and outgoing through the PC. Shows IP addresses and everything.

Downsides though is that you can't have other programs with internet access going, or you will get the wrong IP.

I never did this, I saw a YT video. Sadly IDK the programs name or website to get it from though :(, The program shows internet traffic incoming and outgoing through the PC. Shows IP addresses and everything.

Downsides though is that you can't have other programs with internet access going, or you will get the wrong IP.

I know that Comodo Firewall definitely allows you to monitor incoming and outgoing traffic. I doubt that's the program you're referring to, but it does have that capability.

I know that Comodo Firewall definitely allows you to monitor incoming and outgoing traffic. I doubt that's the program you're referring to, but it does have that capability.

It sounds like Wireshark to me also.

thats WireShark for ya

great tool if you know how to use it.  UI takes some getting used to...

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

I think technically you can, but I've never been crazy enough to try it.

yes you can, it's called nested virtualization.  It's often used as an added security measure when running ASOS software and such. Thought I'd add that.

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

Basically, I don't want any traces to my original computer and network.

You probably want a VM with a VPN installed in it. Perhaps Tunnel bear? Bear It Beautiful!