How much voltage for 6700K?

Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,

ok  :unsure:   :wacko: I am a bit scared, but I shall listen to thy staff as they know best. How long do you recommend an OCCT Stress test to run for? Keep in mind my dad needs to pay the power bill and we aren't made of money.

Run it for as long as you're comfortable with. You can never confirm that an oc is stable but longer stress tests can determine how stable it probably is.

Not much more than 1.3 unless you have extremely good cooling(custom loop or better). A bit after 1.3v, you start to get electron mitigation which can lower the lifespan of your CPU by a lot.

What's electron mitigation?

any other sources for that info? My temps are fantastic even at 1.4V on my 5820k but people have said it will still degrade the lifespan or risk breaking it so I've always been extremely hesitant to go above 1.35V.

I'm not sure which exactly but my recommendations are from a combination of different overclockers. Since there aren't any official numbers from intel that I know of, I draw from the general consensus of people who seem to know what their talking about--mainly overclockers and their in-depth guides. Most seem to agree that beyond 1.45v, you're asking for degradation and the range below that is generally fine with adequate cooling. I haven't read any stories of any serious degradation with voltages below that. 

My max core vid is 1.36, I can't tell if that is safe or not, temps are fine! why so much mis info? 

@LinusTechTips WHERE IS OUR VOLTAGE VIDEO PLEASE :(

That's fine. 

There is no mis-info, every generation and every CPU is different.There is no magical formula.

^Ditto

According to Intel, the people who actually made the chip http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-i7-lga-2011-datasheet-vol-2.html This is for the CPU I have, the 5820k, they recommend you not go over 1.35v. For Skylake which is 14nm vs. Haswell which is 22nm, the recommended voltage is obviously lower at around 1.3v. You're killing your CPU if you go higher, but it's not like that matters to much if you plan to upgrade in the near future.

This is for 2011 and not 2011-3. Also, I don't see where they mention 1.35v. 

For Skylake, Intel states max safe voltage at 1.52v http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/desktop-6th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html

hT8Gjki.png

Hello everyone! I am attempting a 4.7 GHz overclock on a Skylake i7-6700K

I want to get it running at 4.7 GHz or at least 4.6, 24/7!!! sometimes I use my computer for literally 12 hours or so a day!

I want this pc to last me at least 4-5 years.

So, I have done some 1 hr stress tests on 1.335 volts and it ran fine, but when I played csgo for like 3 hours it BSOD and did some random freezes, basically "unstable" so I bumped up the voltage to 1.345 and I wanted to know if this is safe

I am a bit scared of idle temps, they are 35-40 with just chrome and some other small stuff running. But I have been advised that idle temps don't matter too much if it is near 30°

I have a GTX H110i AIO Watercooler so load temperatures never go above 70° Celsius.

What is a safe voltage that I can go up to that is ok to run pretty much 24 7 every day?

Sorry, the only reason I am posting this and not researching is because there is so much misconception! Someone tells me oh up to 1.4 volts is perfectly fine if you have a water cooler but some are like above 1.35 and you will fry your CPU. :(

Thanks, all is appreciated.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

Your voltages and temps are fine. 

The advice to not go beyond 1.35-1.4v is just due to cooling limitations. If your temps are fine, going up to 1.4v shouldn't be an issue. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The advice to not go beyond 1.35-1.4v is just due to cooling limitations. If your temps are fine, going up to 1.4v shouldn't be an issue. 

ok  :unsure:   :wacko: I am a bit scared, but I shall listen to thy staff as they know best. How long do you recommend an OCCT Stress test to run for? Keep in mind my dad needs to pay the power bill and we aren't made of money.

Spoiler

Not much more than 1.3 unless you have extremely good cooling(custom loop or better). A bit after 1.3v, you start to get electron mitigation which can lower the lifespan of your CPU by a lot.

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

If you up the voltage cooling may be fine, but bare in mind that the voltage is ultimately what degrades the chip. Cooling it isn't going to slow that down. Although it should last the time you want it to.

CPU: i7 4790k 4.6GHz @ 1.19v     GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 1590Core     RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro    SSD: Samsung 850 Evo Raid 0

Cooler: Corsair H110i GT             Case: NZXT H440 Black Windowed          1TB WDD Blue, NZXT Hue+, MSI Z97S SLI Krait, Asus VX347H x2

any other sources for that info? My temps are fantastic even at 1.4V on my 5820k but people have said it will still degrade the lifespan or risk breaking it so I've always been extremely hesitant to go above 1.35V.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

If you up the voltage cooling may be fine, but bare in mind that the voltage is ultimately what degrades the chip. Cooling it isn't going to slow that down. Although it should last the time you want it to.

any solid numbers on how much you would degrade a chip running at around 1.4V?

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

any solid numbers on how much you would degrade a chip running at around 1.4V?

Nope sorry, just judging it by how close people were running Haswell compared to stock. Skylake too new for that kind of info

CPU: i7 4790k 4.6GHz @ 1.19v     GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 1590Core     RAM:16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro    SSD: Samsung 850 Evo Raid 0

Cooler: Corsair H110i GT             Case: NZXT H440 Black Windowed          1TB WDD Blue, NZXT Hue+, MSI Z97S SLI Krait, Asus VX347H x2

-info-

-info-

-info-

-info

DO YOU SEE WHAT I MEAN!?

really though, who do I believe? what the hell? If temps are fine how why would it be bad to go near 1.35 volts?

Spoiler

Nope sorry, just judging it by how close people were running Haswell compared to stock. Skylake too new for that kind of info

Im actually using Haswell, a 5820k. I joined in the thread curious about the voltages myself.

Im actually using Haswell, a 5820k. I joined in the thread curious about the voltages myself.

My max core vid is 1.36, I can't tell if that is safe or not, temps are fine! why so much mis info? 

Spoiler

DO YOU SEE WHAT I MEAN!?

really though, who do I believe? what the hell? If temps are fine how why would it be bad to go near 1.35 volts?

voltage degrades the chip, period. Its about how much. 1.35-1.36V should be fine, I have mine at it, and have for months. Personally im asking about what the limits are, which isn't your question and you shouldn't freak out about responses to it.

There is no mis-info, every generation and every CPU is different.There is no magical formula.

I ran mine at 1.35 for a few months too and it was fine, I just didn't feel happy.

At the end of the day you can use whatever coolant you want, LN2 even, but pushing that voltage too high WILL cause the transistors to start taking damage over time leading to, best case, a few blue screens. Worse case: death.

I think everyone has their own say on where that degradation begins. Most say between 1.3 and 1.4 for Haswell. I personally see it about 1.32, but my motherboard moans past 1.29.

DO YOU SEE WHAT I MEAN!?

According to Intel, the people who actually made the chip http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/core-i7-lga-2011-datasheet-vol-2.html This is for the CPU I have, the 5820k, they recommend you not go over 1.35v. For Skylake which is 14nm vs. Haswell which is 22nm, the recommended voltage is obviously lower at around 1.3v. You're killing your CPU if you go higher, but it's not like that matters to much if you plan to upgrade in the near future.

Depends on what you mean by "near future" and I am sure the CPU can last 4 years on 1.3-1.35 volts

I just wanted to know is 1.36 volts ok? because that is what HWMonitor is showing me right now

Spoiler

Depends on what you mean by "near future" and I am sure the CPU can last 4 years on 1.3-1.35 volts

I just wanted to know is 1.36 volts ok? because that is what HWMonitor is showing me right now

You just answered your own question.  1.36v is fine for a couple of years as long as you have a good cooler.

1.36 volts will most likely be fine. From what I have heard about skylake, around 1.35 volts is around the max you'd want to do for 24/7 overclocks. I was just looking through Intel's documentation and it said the absolute max was to run it around 1.5 volts. If you want for comparision, my 6600k runs at 1.325 volts for 4.6ghz, although it's only an I5

Current system: CPU:I5 6600k 4.5Ghz, CPU Cooler: Asetek 550LC, Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gamer, Ram:Adata XPG 4x2 2400, Graphics Card:MSi GTX 970 + Zotac 970, Hard drives:256gb SSD+1tb WD Blue, Case:Corsair Spec 01 Power Supply:XFX TS  750 watt Bronze, OS:Windows 10 64bit

Run it for as long as you're comfortable with. You can never confirm that an oc is stable but longer stress tests can determine how stable it probably is.

What's electron mitigation?

I'm not sure which exactly but my recommendations are from a combination of different overclockers. Since there aren't any official numbers from intel that I know of, I draw from the general consensus of people who seem to know what their talking about--mainly overclockers and their in-depth guides. Most seem to agree that beyond 1.45v, you're asking for degradation and the range below that is generally fine with adequate cooling. I haven't read any stories of any serious degradation with voltages below that. 

That's fine. 

^Ditto

This is for 2011 and not 2011-3. Also, I don't see where they mention 1.35v. 

For Skylake, Intel states max safe voltage at 1.52v http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/core/desktop-6th-gen-core-family-datasheet-vol-1.html

hT8Gjki.png

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

-snip- -big snip-

ok, thats

thats alot of info

thanks so much, I feel a lot more confident :)

Spoiler

-snip-

I was looking at that and wondering if that was the correct value or not. Thanks for clearing that up with me as well.

Current system: CPU:I5 6600k 4.5Ghz, CPU Cooler: Asetek 550LC, Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gamer, Ram:Adata XPG 4x2 2400, Graphics Card:MSi GTX 970 + Zotac 970, Hard drives:256gb SSD+1tb WD Blue, Case:Corsair Spec 01 Power Supply:XFX TS  750 watt Bronze, OS:Windows 10 64bit