Server Questions

What are these cards next to the CPU's? I have no Idea and I would like to know. 494c3c364051dcd17e11fd0cec2f5cbb.jpg

Breaking things 1 day at a time

What are these cards next to the CPU's? I have no Idea and I would like to know.

those are voltage regulation daughterboards.  They take 12v from the 24pin and turn it into 0.8-1.3v power for your CPU :)

they live on daughterboards as opposed to the main board like normal PC's so that they are easy to replace should something go wrong.

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

those are voltage regulation daughterboards. They take 12v from the 24pin and turn it into 0.8-1.3v power for your CPU :)

they live on daughterboards as opposed to the main board like normal PC's so that they are easy to replace should something go wrong.

Ok thanks. I actually just found a diagram on the thing but it's not as detailed as your explanation

Ok thanks. I actually just found a diagram on the thing but it's not as detailed as your explanation

hope that helped :)

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

It did. Thanks

you getting one of these servers by chance?  Because if so thats really cool

You typically only see those on older servers, 4+ years old. Most don't have those as separate cards any more, most of that all being built into various power modules in the server itself and not on the motherboard. HP servers for instance have large power regulator modules that sit under the motherboard in say the ML series or in the PSU backplane on DL models.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

you getting one of these servers by chance? Because if so thats really cool

Yep. It's a ibm 8670-g1x. I also got a compaq one

You typically only see those on older servers, 4+ years old. Most don't have those as separate cards any more, most of that all being built into various power modules in the server itself and not on the motherboard. HP servers for instance have large power regulator modules that sit under the motherboard in say the ML series or in the PSU backplane on DL models.

Yeah it's old