Q6600 + ASUS P5N-E SLI overclocking.

Go to solution Solved by harrynowl,

Its B3, so the bad one, guess that could be the reason, thought it might be temp issues, but even running a stress test doesnt get the cpu above 50 degrees. Im guessing i will just keep it at stock speeds and live with the bottleneck until i can change it out, been looking at 2500/2600 k or non k, they are just in hot demand and prices go up too high when i find something :)

Yea it's probably not worth the effort to try and 'debug' as to why it crashes to be honest, even if you got it going most B3s cap at 3GHz or less 

Z77 is quite expensive right now where I live (like 3x more than they were a year ago), not sure about your location. 

Getting (buying) a MSI GTX 760 tomorrow that im gonna use in my living room pc, mostly used for watching movies and browsing, due to the fact that it currently has a 7800GT 256mb card in it. I plan on updating the motherboard, cpu and memory when im able to find something decently cheap, which isnt easy around here since people often have no clue what their used hardware is worth and just go by the price they bought it at 5 years ago.

Until then im stuck with my Q6600 which have done alright so far, but im guessing it most likely is gonna bottleneck the 760, especially since its always been running at stock speeds, updated the bios recently to the newest one, which is from 2009  :D then tried to overclock a bit, but pushing it even just the slightest crashes it while booting. Im not a big overclocker, i have overclocked my main righ, but that was pretty straight forward, while overclocking on these older boards seems a bit tricky.

Have googled around quite a bit, found guides and so on, but none really seem to work, i could just have a bad chip, but thought someone in mere might know quite a lot more than me and could maybe guide me in the right direction, from the guides etc it seems like 3Ghz should be pretty easy to hit.

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

What stepping do you have? (Take a look in CPU-Z).

G0 is the good one, B3 is the bad one.

680i SLI hated quad cores but I am not sure if the 650i SLI chipset had the same phobia...

What stepping do you have? (Take a look in CPU-Z).

G0 is the good one, B3 is the bad one.

680i SLI hated quad cores but I am not sure if the 650i SLI chipset had the same phobia...

Its B3, so the bad one, guess that could be the reason, thought it might be temp issues, but even running a stress test doesnt get the cpu above 50 degrees. Im guessing i will just keep it at stock speeds and live with the bottleneck until i can change it out, been looking at 2500/2600 k or non k, they are just in hot demand and prices go up too high when i find something :)

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

I've seen some i5 2400's at a low price.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

Yea it's probably not worth the effort to try and 'debug' as to why it crashes to be honest, even if you got it going most B3s cap at 3GHz or less 

Z77 is quite expensive right now where I live (like 3x more than they were a year ago), not sure about your location. 

I've seen some i5 2400's at a low price.

Some pop up once in a while, tho at some point i just feel like going with a G3258.

P67?

A 2500k is quite inexpensive if you look around.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Some pop up once in a while, tho at some point i just feel like going with a G3258.

yeah, but in many scenarios i5 would gain upper hand.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

Yeah im located in Denmark and prices are pretty high, we have a used market called dba, sort of like craigslist i guess, people there want insane prices for their hardware and laugh at you if you try and correct them. Then we also have 2 hardware sites that have a buy and sell section, but when 2500/2600 comes up they have 15-20 bids within 30 minutes.

I have found a few good deals, but all located too far away and i like to be able to pick up used hardware myself.

For example the GTX 760 i got for 90$, while on dba people expect to get 200$ :rolleyes:

yeah, but in many scenarios i5 would gain upper hand.

Very true and i would love to get that or even a i3, right now im just waiting for the right deal to pop up. Not sure how a i7 920 for example would do with a GTX 760, shouldnt have gotten rid of my 920 a few years ago, could have used it today :)