HELP - Buzzing noise from speakers

Sean

I have a pair of Behringer Truth B3030A, yesterday I built my first computer and now when the speakers are plugged in they make a weird buzzing noise. Sometimes it seems to correspond to moving windows around on the computer or scrolling. Some people said mobile phones could cause interference so I moved mine away but it didn't make a difference. I am using onboard audio on an Asus P8Z77-V LK. I also am using wifi, with the N15 adapter, and the path from the router to the adapter card goes directly through my speakers... if that is the problem I could simply move my computer to the other side of my desk but I am not sure that wifi does that. I used to plug the speakers into a laptop and they would not have this problem. When they are not plugged in, the buzzing noise changes; it gets louder the closer I hold the jack to the computer. The sound also is more noticeable if I hold down a key on they keyboard, but only while something is being typed (I have to have some window that can be typed in selected). The buzzing noise seems to become more noticeable if the computer is working harder... I'm not sure if any of that is relevant but please help me :P Thanks

There's someway to fix that in the bios I think, spread spectrum or something. I had that problem on my P8z77, fixed it with a sound card. Someone halp him :P

More than likely some form of ground issue. Start removing things that are plugged into the same power source beginning with the powerboard but it could be anywhere in your room or local vicinity on the same circuit.

If that fails, turn off your computer and play like your iPod through them and see if the issue's still there. If it is, then there's something electrically wrong inside your computer. Easiest way to solve that is an external sound card.

I have a similar issue. I bought a xonar DS a while back and thought it would be a good idea to save some money and buy the older legacy PCI version. However, since this particular card doesn't have any form of EMI shielding; my graphics card is creating interference in the card and when no sound transmitted to my speakers I am able to hear the sound of the interference. I haven't worked on my own particular problem yet but I when I get around to it. I am going to build some sort of shielding for the card.

Thanks for the tips, I tried putting them on different power sources, but that doesn't seem to make much difference. If my only option is a sound card, will any cheap USB one work or will I need something with the shielding you are talking about?

OnBoard sound card always have interferences and heavy static. A dedicated sound card will have those diminished significantly to a level not hearable, and even more so, if there is a EMI shield.

But there are ways to reduce the onBoard interference (same applies for dedicated sound card)

1- Disable any auto/smart volume control on your sound card control panel, as it boost the signal on nothing, so it amplifies static (if you have that feature, of course)

2- Lower to 0 and mute ALL playback and recording inputs and outputs that you do not use.

3- Avoid the frontal case connector. Use the connector on the back of your system.

4- Keep cellphones and wireless router far away from speaker/headphones wires.

I also discovered something else :( When stress testing my GPU (XFX 7850 with MSI Kombustor), the card makes a noise, which I assume is coil whine. It's barely noticeable, but when I turn the speakers on while this is happening, the sound is amplified and I hear the same sound coming THROUGH the speakers... WTF??

Well that's bizarre. I am not sure if it's because your sound card doesn't have a EMI shield or something else.

As it seams to only occur when you run Furmark.. I am sorry "MSI Kombustor" and not in games, I would not be too worries or concern, it's not like you run it everyday.

could be some static interference from the poor shielding of the cable. other wires and wireless electronics can trigger this

ARe you running the speakers off Analog cables ?

if so an Optical cable (if your MOBO and speakers support it) could help solve the issue, as the Audio's Conversion into an electrical signal for the speakers should be done in whatever the Optical cable is connected to (speakers or AMP)

Intel Core I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz CL9 Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 @ 1100/1550 Samsung 830 128GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Fractal Design ​Define R4 Seasonic M12II 750Watt

I'm using a super cheap cable that is basically a headphone jack for speakers... Sometimes if I toss the cable around it causes a bit of a stir in the static (but then again, so does a lot of things). This could be my problem?

I'm using a super cheap cable that is basically a headphone jack for speakers... Sometimes if I toss the cable around it causes a bit of a stir in the static (but then again' date=' so does a lot of things). This could be my problem?[/quote']

It's probably not balanced then. If it's not (and it'll say on the cable) buy a new cable.

If its onboard then most probably its interference from the other components in your PC, I have had the same issues with my speakers back my penium 4 days,what you can try is to lower the volume on your PC as much as possible then just turn up the volume on your speakers (I;m assuming it has a volume control), It should decrease the buzzing, its a fix or a emedy rather that will not require you to buy anything.Good luck.

Hey! I had the same problem a little while back. Everything started buzzing... I just trew a couple of ground noise filters between my pc, speakers and mixer (for my keyboard & microphone). Problem solved! Maybe this will help you aswell. They are pretty cheap...

Example: http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/GOLD-PLATED-RCA-PHONO-20-AMP-GROUND-LOOP-ISOLATOR-NOISE-FILTER-PREVENT-HUM-/281047208919?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item416fb813d7

Hey! I had the same problem a little while back. Everything started buzzing... I just trew a couple of ground noise filters between my pc, speakers and mixer (for my keyboard & microphone). Problem solved! Maybe this will help you aswell. They are pretty cheap...

Example: http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/GOLD-PLATED-RCA-PHONO-20-AMP-GROUND-LOOP-ISOLATOR-NOISE-FILTER-PREVENT-HUM-/281047208919?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item416fb813d7

Also, I had all the same problems: sound coming from the graphics-card that wasn't coil whine, but it was being "amplified" by my speakers... strange things... All gone now!

OP I am getting an annoying vibrating noise from my speakers now too. It actually hurts the ears when it happens. I have an older set of Logitech 5.1s. I thought it was Linus's audio issues that have shown up in the past but then it has carried over to other videos. Hope you sort your audio issues out and I will be looking at what people have mentioned here in response to your original post to see if it applies to my situation and helps.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I had somewhat similar problem with my previous usb dac (Nuforce udac2 = garbage). I then learned that any dac (or audiosource for that matter) should have a separate power, not usb powered, because it creates lots of interference. Now I have real dac with separate power and balanced xlr in-/outputs (Dspeaker Antimode DaulCore) and barely hear any buzzing even if I put my ear right at the driver.

It's likely that you're having interference traveling through your case across different components. I found going from my old Centurion 534 to a R3 Helped a bit( guess it grounded it a bit). But what helped solve it completely for me was wrapping electrical tape around my sound cards bracket. It's been 6 months since doing this and I haven't heard it once. Since you're using onboard perhaps try wrapping it around the Video card bracket.

I've gotten a lot of different responses, that mostly conflict with each other :/ I guess I might try the ground noise filters, but I think I have a lot more to figure out