best CPU for 3D modeling and gaming?

Next summer im going to upgrade my CPU and mobo to eliminate some of the issues the outdated fx-6350 gives me in games and to also boost render times in blender. Ive been looking at the skylake CPUs, at first the i5 6600k seemed like the obvious choice for gaming but recently ive really gotten into modeling in blender. Now im only 16 and i dont have that much to spend (depending on the summer job i get around 400-800€) so im still on the fence about getting an i7 since i need to get a mobo for it too and possibly a new power supply (highly doubt it tho, i have a 650w one). So what are your suggestions? Is the performance of an i7 good enough to justify the price difference to an i5 and if i7 is the way to go then which one? Also i have no idea which motherboard to get and i barely know anything about them and how to compare them so suggestions are welcome.

"Give a man a mask and he will become his true self." -Oscar Wilde

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i5 6600k @ 3.5GHz GPU MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Motherboard Asus Z170 Pro Gaming RAM Kingston Fury 2x4GB DDR4 2666MHz PSU XFX 650W Storage Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, Kingston 128GB SSD OS Windows 10

the i7 is about a 25-50% improvement in most cases

if you sell the i5 and buy the i7 then IMO it will be worth it

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

How much gaming to you do?

mabye a skylake i7 will be enough for your gaming needs?

If you can't afford i7 you could go for a 1150 xeon, basically i5 with hyperthreading.

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

How much gaming to you do?

mabye a skylake i7 will be enough for your gaming needs?

I play lots of open world games so a good CPU wont hurt. However i dont really need an i7 for gaming unless were talking about arma III and im not planning to play that. The reason im thinking about the i7 is mostly rendering. Also it wont hurt to have a powerful processor for the future but im not sure if the i7 is necessary  since the i5 packs a punch too.

"Give a man a mask and he will become his true self." -Oscar Wilde

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i5 6600k @ 3.5GHz GPU MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Motherboard Asus Z170 Pro Gaming RAM Kingston Fury 2x4GB DDR4 2666MHz PSU XFX 650W Storage Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, Kingston 128GB SSD OS Windows 10

I play lots of open world games so a good CPU wont hurt. However i dont really need an i7 for gaming unless were talking about arma III and im not planning to play that. The reason im thinking about the i7 is mostly rendering. Also it wont hurt to have a powerful processor for the future but im not sure if the i7 is necessary  since the i5 packs a punch too.

i mean like spending the money on the i7 vs i5 + gpu

like i only play csgo and gta sa.

so i don't need a gpu an skylake i7 can run both those max.

thats what i mean.

If you can't afford i7 you could go for a 1150 xeon, basically i5 with hyperthreading.

You just described an i7.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

You just described an i7.

But without integrated graphics

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

Next summer im going to upgrade my CPU and mobo to eliminate some of the issues the outdated fx-6350 gives me in games and to also boost render times in blender. Ive been looking at the skylake CPUs, at first the i5 6600k seemed like the obvious choice for gaming but recently ive really gotten into modeling in blender. Now im only 16 and i dont have that much to spend (depending on the summer job i get around 400-800€) so im still on the fence about getting an i7 since i need to get a mobo for it too and possibly a new power supply (highly doubt it tho, i have a 650w one). So what are your suggestions? Is the performance of an i7 good enough to justify the price difference to an i5 and if i7 is the way to go then which one? Also i have no idea which motherboard to get and i barely know anything about them and how to compare them so suggestions are welcome.

yes, the i7-6700k is a big improvement over the i5-6600k in terms of performance. you will notice the difference. when you overclock the i7, it's an even bigger improvement. i think most people can overclock the 6700k to 4.8 ghz at the minimum. if i were you, i'd save up and get the i7 as it has 8 threads. if you like, you can get the 5820k instead.

the 5820k would be even better than the i7 as it has 6 cores and 12 threads! it's cheaper than the i7 6700k at the moment. you will need to buy a new mobo though.