WD Red 4TB GIVEAWAY!

LinusTech

I am running a Kingston Hyperx 3k 240 GB for os and applications. I ran out of money when i came to mass storage.

I have 2 1TB HDD's of Seagate in my pc because I'm a IT student and I need the space for a dual boot. I use 1 HDD for my Windows 8 Professional (for casual use) and Windows 7 Ultimate (for business, rendering and studying). But I want to build a central storing unit for my other electronics and use it primarily for media. I want to store all my pictures, music and my video's in it. So everybody of my family could watch movies without overloading my PC.

Thank you for reading.

Irshat Mukhamedov

I am using a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache as a storage unit to store all my movies, music and games (Lot of them!). I also have a 128GB crucial M4 that I'm using as a boot drive for faster startup and better speed in general for every programs. So my configuration allows me to have a SSD speed interface with some storage for all my files. But both drive are almost pretty full right now and a new WD Red 4TB would be pretty amazing!

Im 14 and have a crappy part time job so my new pc has a single 1tb seagate drive for the OS (windows 8) and all of my games and such... I was planning to put an ssd or even just a bigger drive but im on a tight budget so yeah. Dont make fun of my crappy storage config!

I'm running a Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB SSD to be my: 1 boot drive; 2 SWToR drive (gotta speed up those damn load times); and 3 to run my editing programs (Photoshop, Vegas, etc) off of it. I choose this one because I got a good 20% off and it was new in the sealed box, so I grabbed it. Yet, keep in mind that even being 20% off I still had to pay 400 bucks for it. I live in Brazil, and here taxes are RIDICULOUS. For for comparison, 400 buck on reais (brazilian currency) is about 200 american dollars, but 400 reais on my pocket is just as heavy as 400 dollars on yours. So yeah.... Quite expensive, but on the bright side I'm the first person from my friend circles from here who has an SSD.

My steam library is running from a RAID 0 of two Seagate 1TB drives (ST1000DM003), which isn't optimum but I'm not really writing to that array very often so it's ok I guess. Again, the reason for it was the price, I got a deal of 219 on each of those, and believe me or not that's really cheap around here.

Now the only sad part of my rig is the actual drive I use to store things, put my fraps videos, and everything I'm moving often. It's a Seagate 1TB drive which isn't even sata 3 and is so old that gave me some problems on my old machine before I got this new rig. And guess why I still use it... Yeah, after spending over 800 bucks on storage alone when I was getting a new haswell system with a GTX770, I kinda ran out of money. The Red drive would be perfect to replace that guy.

As a note, if the give away isn't international, obviously ignore my entry.

OKAY... PEOPLE ARE NOT READING THIS CAREFULLY. IF YOU DON'T POST ABOUT WHY YOU RUN THE STORAGE CONFIGURATION YOU HAVE (ex: it was cheap, I didn't trust SSD, my friend recommended it, etc) YOU WILL NOT WIN. See full rules below.

INTRODUCTION

Western Digital is taking a "go big or go home" approach to at least two things right now. One is the all new 4TB 3.5" Red NAS-optimized hard drive, and the other is this giveaway. Western Digital provided us with an incredibly generous EIGHT 4TB Red drives to give away. Because these drives are RAID-optimized, we thought it would make sense to group up the prizes so that you guys can run them the way they're meant to be run!

mxcCU5I.png

Again... HUGE thanks to Western Digital for making this giveaway possible. They've been so supportive of Linus Tech Tips. They sponsored our trip to Computex, sponsored our trip to PAX, and they're giving awesome stuff away to our community :D

PLEASE TAKE SOME TIME TO READ THE SPONSOR MESSAGES BELOW!

SPONSOR MESSAGES

1. Check out this excellent review of the WD Red 4TB over at Storage Review. These guys are awesome and know far more about testing drives than we ever will!

kM4plOy.png

2. Check out the WD Red lineup even if you're not planning to enter the contest: http://amzn.to/15wPO8o

3. Check out this video outlining the advantages of WD's Red lineup of drives: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Heec-tsqc1E

WD RED 4TB GIVEAWAYS RULES & REGULATIONS 

I decided to split things up into one GRAND PRIZE and two runner up prizes. The big winner (who will be drawn first) gets FOUR 4TB WD Red 3.5" hard drives. That's right. FOUR. That's enough to store 12TB of data in RAID 5, or 8TB of data in RAID 1. Each runner up will receive TWO 4TB WD Red 3.5" hard drives. That's enough for 4TB of RAID1 safe storage! This is a Linus Tech Tips giveaway (WD is providing the drives to us to decide what we want to do with them) so it's WORLDWIDE!

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO

This giveaway is only available for Linus Tech Tips forum members, and as usual you can either get ONE entry to win, or you can get more!!

1x entry - Post about your storage setup in this thread. The most important thing is WHY you run the hardware you run. There are NO bonus points for talking about WD, and there are no wrong answers. It's okay to say what brands you're using, and it's okay to have a reason that's as simple as "my friend recommended it at the time"

1x bonus entry - Include a link in your post of you sharing the giveaway on your personal Facebook

1x bonus entry - Include a link in your post of you sharing the giveaway on your personal Twitter

1x bonus entry - Include a link in your post of you sharing a link to this giveaway announcement thread in some other community (forums, social networks, super-active community websites other than linustechtips.com like Digg... etc). We aren't trying to spam so make sure you are sharing with people who you genuinely think will care about it!

You can get a maximum of 4 entries by including links in your post to the three eligible sharing places. Here is an example of what an optimal maximum entry (4) post would look like:

1. I don't have a desktop, but I run an OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD for my boot drive because it was a great price, and offers great speed with a 5 year warranty. I don't keep any storage drives in my system because I use spotify for all of my music and I don't watch many movies, but I do have a 1TB external USB3 drive that has 1-touch back up, so I plug that in once in a while so that if my laptop gets lost I will still have my data. 

2. Facebook share from (Name Goes Here): (insert verifiable link here)

3. Twitter share with Twitter handle @Example: (insert verifiable link here)

4. Community Site share with nickname (nickname goes here): (insert verifiable link here)

The contest closes September 30th, 2013 and the winner will be contacted after we've had a chance to tabulate the entries. Good luck everyone! Thanks for participating, and a big thanks again to our sponsor, WD!

OKAY... PEOPLE ARE NOT READING THIS CAREFULLY. IF YOU DON'T POST ABOUT WHY YOU RUN THE STORAGE CONFIGURATION YOU HAVE (ex: it was cheap, I didn't trust SSD, my friend recommended it, etc) YOU WILL NOT WIN. See full rules below.

INTRODUCTION

Western Digital is taking a "go big or go home" approach to at least two things right now. One is the all new 4TB 3.5" Red NAS-optimized hard drive, and the other is this giveaway. Western Digital provided us with an incredibly generous EIGHT 4TB Red drives to give away. Because these drives are RAID-optimized, we thought it would make sense to group up the prizes so that you guys can run them the way they're meant to be run!

mxcCU5I.png

Again... HUGE thanks to Western Digital for making this giveaway possible. They've been so supportive of Linus Tech Tips. They sponsored our trip to Computex, sponsored our trip to PAX, and they're giving awesome stuff away to our community :D

PLEASE TAKE SOME TIME TO READ THE SPONSOR MESSAGES BELOW!

SPONSOR MESSAGES

1. Check out this excellent review of the WD Red 4TB over at Storage Review. These guys are awesome and know far more about testing drives than we ever will!

kM4plOy.png

2. Check out the WD Red lineup even if you're not planning to enter the contest: http://amzn.to/15wPO8o

3. Check out this video outlining the advantages of WD's Red lineup of drives: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Heec-tsqc1E

WD RED 4TB GIVEAWAYS RULES & REGULATIONS 

I decided to split things up into one GRAND PRIZE and two runner up prizes. The big winner (who will be drawn first) gets FOUR 4TB WD Red 3.5" hard drives. That's right. FOUR. That's enough to store 12TB of data in RAID 5, or 8TB of data in RAID 1. Each runner up will receive TWO 4TB WD Red 3.5" hard drives. That's enough for 4TB of RAID1 safe storage! This is a Linus Tech Tips giveaway (WD is providing the drives to us to decide what we want to do with them) so it's WORLDWIDE!

WHAT YOU NEED TO DO

This giveaway is only available for Linus Tech Tips forum members, and as usual you can either get ONE entry to win, or you can get more!!

1x entry - Post about your storage setup in this thread. The most important thing is WHY you run the hardware you run. There are NO bonus points for talking about WD, and there are no wrong answers. It's okay to say what brands you're using, and it's okay to have a reason that's as simple as "my friend recommended it at the time"

1x bonus entry - Include a link in your post of you sharing the giveaway on your personal Facebook

1x bonus entry - Include a link in your post of you sharing the giveaway on your personal Twitter

1x bonus entry - Include a link in your post of you sharing a link to this giveaway announcement thread in some other community (forums, social networks, super-active community websites other than linustechtips.com like Digg... etc). We aren't trying to spam so make sure you are sharing with people who you genuinely think will care about it!

You can get a maximum of 4 entries by including links in your post to the three eligible sharing places. Here is an example of what an optimal maximum entry (4) post would look like:

1. I don't have a desktop, but I run an OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD for my boot drive because it was a great price, and offers great speed with a 5 year warranty. I don't keep any storage drives in my system because I use spotify for all of my music and I don't watch many movies, but I do have a 1TB external USB3 drive that has 1-touch back up, so I plug that in once in a while so that if my laptop gets lost I will still have my data. 

2. Facebook share from (Name Goes Here): (insert verifiable link here)

3. Twitter share with Twitter handle @Example: (insert verifiable link here)

4. Community Site share with nickname (nickname goes here): (insert verifiable link here)

The contest closes September 30th, 2013 and the winner will be contacted after we've had a chance to tabulate the entries. Good luck everyone! Thanks for participating, and a big thanks again to our sponsor, WD!

I currently have a 500gb WD caviar blue because i cant afford anything else, and i run the 500gb WD as boot and storage drive. : /

Twitter https://twitter.com/ReaperReconX/status/377878678295691264 @ReaperReconX

Awesome giveaway! I'm running a 500 gb western digital caviar blue as my boot and primary drive and a western digital 500 gb caviar green as a backup for my blue. I have my drives set up this way just in case something happens to the files in the caviar blue and because I don't have the money to get an ssd or more storage. The caviar green was actually salvaged from a friends broken computer which is awesome, but other than that, I've been having to delete stuff cause 500 gb isn't enough anymore.

My drives are in my signature. I choose them since they were good for the price, and had good capacity with RAID 0. Although when I upgrade in the future I have a OCZ Vertex 3 120Gb that I will use for a fast boot drive.

One 500gb wd green use it for gaming have to delete old games to get new ones and no ssd

I am currentley using a 500gb WD caviar blue, I use this harddrive because it is trustable and i cant afford more than that. I am using it as a boot and Storage drive.

i run a 500GB WB blue ( my parents were the ones who collect this pc for me - the man at the store were the one who recommended it at that time ) why i run it and don't have a bigger one because HDD prices in egypt is super high like really super high xD:D

facebook share:( https://www.facebook.com/youssef.medhat.9047/posts/1392750794287829)
Twitter Share:( https://twitter.com/YoussefMed196/status/377880549169197057 )

I currently use a WD 1TB Caviar Blue for my OS, games, and videos. I have already used about half of the storage on this. I would like to have some more storage for future game downloads and better over all speeds.

i would love to have the WD Red drives, suppose to be super safe for storage, my systems i have now are running 1tb WD Green 3.5" for storage an game installs, with a seagate barracuda 360gig 3.5" running my OS an Software. an for my work station i have a 1tb toshiba 2.5" hdd as storage an a 320gig 3.5" seagate barracuda for my OS and software. i would love to add a WD Red drive to my builds. and the main reason im in this configuration right now was mostly from luck of getting second hand parts from friends that upgraded an not able to replace the 2.5" drives due to income atm

Right now I am just running two 150 gig hard-drives, mainly because I had to buy during the floods, and hard drives where expensive. I have not gone into SSDs yet because I heard Samsung was working on some tech to produce SSDs really cheap. Maybe then I will grab an SSD or two as storage. I just feel like the technology is not at the point where it is worth the money, but I guess that depends on what you do with it. Four terabytes would be pretty nice for games and videos. A lot better then two 150 gigs, lol.

I have a 1TB WD Blue in my laptop with 4 Misc old 3.5" drives in my desktop totaling in 1.2 TB along with a BR writer and stacks of discs. I chose this because its the best value in terms of space/dollar and while i could have a cheaper HDD in my laptop i need a good amount of space to work with for editing.

i have always used only a 1tb hdd.

since i was adding a new GPU to my pc i decided to also add an ssd for the boot, and boot only :)

rest is on my hdd

I have a samsung 840 240GB as Boot and storage for all my editing software and my most frequently played games, then a seagate barracuda 2TB for the rest of my games and videos and movies

Yay WD

My rig has a Samsung 840 series 120GB SSD as boot and a Seagate 1tb HDD for games and mass stoage. With a 3TB  Seagate external drive for movies and storage.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k 4.2GHz with Corsair H100 RAM: Corsair 16GB (4x4) SSD: Samsung 840 120GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Strix GTX 1080 

PSU: OCZ 650W CASE: Fractal Define R5

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/MelchiorVester/saved/#view=RKNXsY

I have 500GB hard drive that I ripped out of my old hp computer to put in my gaming computer that I was putting together at the time. Because at the time I was about to enter freshman year for college and I was on a budget. It was a reliable hdd for the four years that I stored game, music, and photos on and it would save my some money because I was running on a budget. I would love to get a hard drive upgrade.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

I go with a 128gb SSD as OS and app drive, and have 2 500gb samsung hard drives. One for storage, the other for backup.

i run a 1tb hitachi travelstar 7200rpm and i run this because i made a basic computer and tryed to spend some money and the gpu and the cpu but still are only low grade and i really need the storage as i use this computer to back the other computers and school work and family photos ect... onto this computer and i dont have the money to upgrade my computer storage or set up a raid array :( 

Currently in my desktop i am running a segate 1tb drive becuase im a student on a budget.

I use a 128gb Crucial SSD for boot drive and my most used programs like text editor, compiler and a few games. Then I have my 1TB WD black for movies, photos and music and then I also have an old 360gb Seagate for stuff I don't really care for but have to put somewhere, I also do have some of my duplicate files on there. 

I would really love to have a larger SSD or just more SSDs in the future together with a NAS for our shared appartment, so we can easily share files and have a local storage that is more than what I'd put in my desktop since I move it a lot and it's already heavy as it is. 

Facebook share, Søren Nørgreen Gustafsson: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1158168223

Twitter share @RegularDane: https://twitter.com/RegularDane/status/377882004655599616

I use a 128G plextor M5 pro SSD for my root and boot partitions. I use a WD Green 2TB for my /home and /var partitions. Arch Linux allows me to easily store data in ram and regularly sync in blocks to both drives. The SSD's speed is maintained by mininmizing writes and implementing TRIM effectively. With this setup, the WDGreen can do what it does best and cycle off to conserve power.

I would put the WD Red Drives to Fantastic use as I was given an old HP dual Opteron server that only needs storage to get up and rolling!