WD Red 4TB GIVEAWAY!

LinusTech

i just bouth my self a laptop for sgool i need alot of space for my vmware image's and stuff 

and ofcuase for gaming use just saving money for a caddy 2 place a second hdd in so my sgool stuff will be save when i laptop crash's 

love your reviews on al the products :D hope 1 day i can do the same stuff 

I have a 1TB Samsung HDD. I built my computer about a year ago, and having a good hard drive wasn't a priority to me, especially since I was building on a budget. I would like to have an SSD, but for now that's not a priority.

120GB Samsung 840 evo: For boot and a couple most used programs and games

500 GB WD RE4: For games and programs

1TB WD Scorpio Blue: For backups 

I use this because I love the speed of an SSD but its too expensive for everything. I only have the 1TB hard drive because it was for my old AVerMedia capture card I used to have. 

Twitter:(IIMaximillianII) https://twitter.com/IIMaximillianII/status/377879267796742145

Tek Syndicate form.(Maximillian) https://teksyndicate.com/forum/general-discussion/wd-red-giveaway-over-linus-forum/152793

I run a samsung 120GB SSD for fast boot times, and a 750GB HDD for games and other storage. I have this setup because I have seen it in quite a few build guides, and its the best of both worlds. The only problem is that I am about to completely fill my HDD with games D:

Twitter @CtrlAltDelete: https://twitter.com/CtrlAlt_Delete_/status/377883802367836161

I have a refurbished 120gb HDD for a boot drive, because it was cheap, and a 0.5 terabyte external HDD. I have 87 gigs on the external and 14 gigs on my HDD. I mostly use the storage for music and games.

2 128GB vertex 4s in RAID0 because at the time they were the best $/gb for reliable non sandforce drives and they offered the best performance I could afford ($100 each new) I use them for my OS and some applications. I also have a 1tb seagate barracuda for mass storage which includes many steam games and backups.

i am yousing  a  Samsung ssd 840 Series 120gb  and i need more storage sorry for my bad english

I currently have a 320 GB hdd that my friend lent to me because my previous 750gb hdd died on me. I'm currently a student and would much rather spend my money elsewhere. But that being said, I'd be since to have more storage for my games....

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I currently use a 300GB SATA 2 Boot Hard Drive because when I was building my new system, It was already there so I didn't want to spend money on an SSD. I also have a 1TB Hard Drive because I make a lot of videos and I like to store them. I also keep my games on my 1TB hard drive. Along with those two, my dad has a 4TB NAS set up and I have a 250GB external USB2.0 Hard Drive. I could really use the extra space on my desktop because I do a lot of editing.

I am running a 64gb OCZ Vertex3 as a boot device and 3 old, scavanged 1TB Seagate Barracudas in raid 5, any of which could fail anytime. I have this set up purely because of price, the ssd was the only affordable to me at the time (but still over £100 then) and the 1 tb drives were all free (for a little labour). However, I am building a pfsense style uber router from an old machine and would use it to build a portable recoding PC with network storage that I would add to until I can run it in a raid 10 array. Bwahaha the ultimate storage solution for my ever expanding amount of uncompressed audio. I'm a sound engineer, and I HATE having to delete takes and cannot afford to lose data.

I have a stock 250 GB hardrive and i'm to poor to afford a better one. So this would be awsome to win! :)

I have a 500 gb Hitachi Deskstar Hard Drive had to upgrade from 160 gb to have more space for games and some movies. I couldnt afford an 1tb HD so I ended up finding this one on ebay used for $23.

1. I use no ssd because money. I use a 1.5tb seagate boot drive and a 3tb sea gate HDD, never used nor tried western digital, i heard they had a high failure rate so always been to scared. anyone have experience with them? what are they like? have they failed on you?I use 

I used 8 HDDs (which I am shure they are from WD) in my abput 9 PCs. I only had one IDE 30 GB Maxxtor Mac HDD failed and one Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD (it was used completely false), who failed.

Some of them are over 10 years of age. Most of them are aged 1 to 3 years - without any known issues.

Hi Linus,

I have a Samsung 840Pro 256GB SSD as my one and only internally mounted disk. I chose the 840Pro 256 as I've had a Samsung 830 in my T420 Thinkpad running Linux for a year and I've been happy with it. The 840 Pro seemed like one of the fastest and most reliable options and less expensive than intel. I was put off by the regular non-pro 840 because of the less reliable memory. I have plans to add some sort of additional storage at some point - I want to add another SSD with a hard wired power switch to switch between the 2 SSDs (The current one running Win8/steam and the new one running Linux) and I'd like to add some reds (case has 5x140mm fans!). So for the moment I'm relying on an external Seagate 1TB drive for storage.

Ian

1. I currently run one, one terabyte HDD because it was all I could afford that had enough space for video editing. I've tried to get more, but I always have to end up using the money on something else. I would love to get a couple of HDDs though. Although one terabyte is big, it can still get maxed out. Especially when you're recording HD video.

2. https://www.facebook.com/Midnight105/posts/616109865096229

3. https://twitter.com/Adlaerxo/status/377884217754910720

I currently run a 7 year old 500gb hard drive, because i couldn't afford something else at the time, and it was like 50 bucks the only problem is that you can't store 104 steam games on the thing.

I have a 40 GB Maxtor HDD, because I didn't had a chance to upgrade my main components yet so my motherboard is only supporting IDE drives.

For  the fact being I still manage to watch about 2-3 movies a day, play (old) games and listen to music. :))

I'm currently running a 128 GB Samsung 840 Pro Series and a 2TB WD black. I installed my OS and some other games on my SSD and put a bunch of boring games on my WD.

My pc currently has only one 500gb seagate barracuda, if I had a choice my computer set-up would be consist of: A SSD boot drive, and a couple terabyte storage setup. I really would love a performance boost from using a ssd as your boot drive, and the extra storage would be great for  movie collection. 

2. Facebook (William Stewart): (https://www.facebook.com/william.stewart.50999405/posts/225318400958777)

3. Twitter (@newbmuzik): (https://twitter.com/newbmuzik/status/377883060923949056)

1. On my main computer I have a 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD, a 600 GB Western Digital Black Drive, and a 1 TB Western Digital Black Drive. I also "did" have a Seagate 2TB portable expansion drive, however it decided to die on me with less than 6 months of use...

The reason I have a SSD is for performance and speed, I use it with Windows and the latest game or two that I'm playing. The only reason I don't have a bigger SSD drive is due to the pricing of the drives. I also have bigger HDD storage drives for my other games, music, movies, etc.

2. Twitter: Chunder350 Tweet: https://twitter.com/Chunder350/status/377886785520402432

"If tyranny ever came to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy" -John Adams

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin

My storage setup:

I have a 64gb sandisk SSD ghetto mounted to an optical drive bay. I use this because I wanted a cheap solution for slow boot times and at the time it was the only 64gb SSD in stock at my local computer store. I primarily use this drive for documents as there is very limited space for applications.

I also have a very old 1tb sea gate barracuda that is very loud. I use this because I was able to buy it cheaply off a friend for $30 ( NZD) and therefore I use it as cheap storage for my steam and origin (EA {--Insert Slick smile--}) as well as a place to backup important documents and pictures.

The third item in my collection is another old but this time 500gb seagate barracuda. This drive was Frankensteined from an old vista (EWWW Vista....) pc. I use this drive as a bucket to catch the overflow. Whenever the 1tb gets to full I delete what I can live without and put the some stuff I can't in this drive, just to free up some space.

The fourth drive is a 2,5 inch 320gb Western digital ( Woop Woop) scorpio drive. This was taken from a dead laptop and is again ghetto mounted to an optical drive bay with dat double sided tape ( gotta love that stuff). I use this drive as a media one, all my movies and music go on this drive.

Finally I have and external 250gb hitachi drive which again was taken from a dead laptop. I don't use this as backup because it's too small instead it contains a mix of things, I only really use it too give my friends steam games so they don't have to download them ( Internet where I am is too slow!)

This concludes mt storage setup! Good luck all!

I am running A Samsung 840 series 250GB for OS and programs, maybe some games i play very much. and then a Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD for mass storage of movies, pictures, and most of my games.

An extra HDD would come in handy for all my backups :)

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 G45 • Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro series 8GB 1600MHz •  Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB • PSU: Corsair 860• Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M65• Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 • Monitor: LG 23EA63 IPS • Case: Corsair Graphite  600t

I wouldn't really consider what I have to be a storage "set-up" but it's working (for now). I use a laptop mainly, and I store programs and music on it, and I have a 500 GB external drive for archiving photos and videos. I use the external drive mainly because it has more storage, but it's getting full after only 1 year. I hope to get some sort of adapter so I can just plug in a large HD into a USB port. That would greatly reduce the cost of data storage. Maybe someday...

320 gb hard drive and 20 gig ssd cache in my laptop

b/c ssds rock, but with little money, I had to go for a cache. 

That laptop is an ancient ultrabook, and I got it for less than $400 with a 2 year warranty. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs