Xeon heatspreaders TIM or soldered?

Kyzer

I was watching a video on removing a sandy bridge IHS and I read in the comments something about extreme i7's and 2011-3 K's being soldered instead of TIM'd on, are xeons the same? a guy said something about it but he didn't make much sense

But first, let's talk about parallel universes.

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

Anything after Sandy Bridge and excluding EP/EX will be TIM I would have thought.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

2011 and 2011-3 cpus have the ihs soldered on. Mainstream platform cpus from IvyB --> Skylake use thermal paste on the die and the ihs isn't soldered on--this includes Xeons.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2011 and 2011-3 cpus have the ihs soldered on. Mainstream cpus from IvyB --> Skylake use thermal paste on the die and the ihs isn't soldered on--this includes Xeons.

What about xeons on 1150/1151 socket?

Spoiler

Intel i7-4790k undervolt, NVidia EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Reference, NVidia EVGA GTX 480 SC Reference, ASUS Z97-A/USB3.1, SK Hynix SL308 240GB, WD Green 2TB, Hynix 1333 8GB (4x2), XFX Core Pro 850w, NH-U12S, 4x NF-F12's, Sennheiser HD 558's, Blue Yeti, Corsair K70 (red), Logitech MX Master, XBox One Controller, ASUS VG248QE 144Hz, HP 2010i

Yes, 1150/1151 xeons are IvyB-->Skylake

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I was watching a video on removing a sandy bridge IHS and I read in the comments something about extreme i7's and 2011-3 K's being soldered instead of TIM'd on, are xeons the same? a guy said something about it but he didn't make much sense

I dont actually know the answer but I would assume it would follow the same process as the socket.

eg,

Ivy bridge, Haswell, Devils Canyon, Skylake all use TIM

Sandy Bridge, Sandy Bridge-E, Ivy Bridge-E, Haswell-E all soldered

Wether they are Xeon or not, I would have thought if it was a Skylake Xeon, not soldered, if it was a Ivy Bridge-E Xeon then is soldered.

Have a look at my above reply.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

The socket 2011-x chips are solder. the mainstream e3 series you get on 115x are using TIM.

+1 answer i was looking for

Spoiler

1231v3 could be soldered, haswell refresh things.   Nvm, haswell refresh just has better TIM.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

The socket 2011-x chips are solder. the mainstream e3 series you get on 115x are using TIM.

With Sandy Bridge (1155) being an exception with a soldered on. I think 1156 was soldered as well.

1231v3 could be soldered, haswell refresh things.

They just have better TIM

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Soldered don't have the crappy TIM heat issues so you won't need to bother with delidding them anyways.

you wouldn't have to bother delidding xeons anyway, absolutely pointless.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

With Sandy Bridge (1155) being an exception with a soldered on. I think 1156 was soldered as well.

That would be correct. Well pointed out.

But 115x on the last 3 generations do indeed use tim :)

Sandy bridge(and prior), as well as 2011 xeons are soldered.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

you wouldn't have to bother delidding xeons anyway, absolutely pointless.

Completely right. There are occasional circumstances where you need to though. I made a video showing how to do it.

Completely right. There are occasional circumstances where you need to though. I made a video showing how to do it.

Much depressed. I recommend a cat.

Spoiler

Much depressed. I recommend a cat.

On the note of Xeons, can they be used in desktop boards? (1151)

I read a review that they're not but I don't see why.

Spoiler

On the note of Xeons, can they be used in desktop boards? (1151)

I read a review that they're not but I don't see why.

Restricted to C232 and C236 chipsets, but there will be desktop gaming boards with those. 

http://www.asrock.com/news/index.br.asp?id=3157

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/asus-e3-pro-gaming-v5-motherboard-based-on-intel-c232-chipset.html

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/list.aspx?s=42&jid=0&p=346&v=31

Spoiler

• 4 years later...

Hi guys I´m looking for info on this exact processor the INTEL 1230v2 XEON is it soldered or TIM? 

Thanks for the reply

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2020 at 5:30 PM, Topgeardo said:

Hi guys I´m looking for info on this exact processor the INTEL 1230v2 XEON is it soldered or TIM? 

Thanks for the reply

It uses thermal paste.

There's also this site which tells you if a CPU is soldered or not. Check "Thermal Interface material" near the bottom of the properties of each CPU.