Would you buy a LTT Designed "Sense" Smartphone

He's told me he's not interested in the hassle but maybe if enough interest is shown he could be convinced to design and market a flagship phone w/all the good but none of the bad/pointless.  We're talking satisfying buttons properly placed, front facing stereo speakers, reasonable resolution screens w/ good color reproduction that won't kill the battery, proper ports, a decent sized battery, a reasonable camera w/ a decent sensor, etc.

I get the feeling people are voting no b/c they don't think it could happen.  The point of this poll is gauge what you would do if it did and possibly give Linus the backing he would need to make it happen.  If you voted no on with the assumption that it can't please rethink or remove your vote.

Edited by Shabtai1024

Depends if I like everything about it.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

He's not going to beable to make his own fabs... He'd have to take an existing product.

The way I understand this they design it?

Or just a flagship made by like Samsung that they codesign?

I make bad life decisions.

No. It'll cost too much and not be white.

CPU: i7 4770K  |  Corsair H80i  |  ASUS Z87-Pro  |  8GB Corsair 1866Mhz  |  GPU: MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB  |  Corsair HX  750

1: I cannot afford a new Phone

2: I am happy with my Phone

3: Linus would never do that, it wouldn't pass he has to be perfect tick!

4: How is Linus going to review it?

He's not going to beable to make his own fabs... He'd have to take an existing product.

The way I understand this they design it?

Or just a flagship made by like Samsung that they codesign?

He'd either have to collaborate w/ an existing company or make contact w/ a factory in China and have them make a run to his specs

No. It'll cost too much and not be white.

Hence the caveat of "assuming, of course, that you could afford it".  Just a guess but it would likely be black w/orange highlights.

I wouldn't buy a phone designed by me.

Even if it took into account every complaint and compliment you've ever made about a phone?

Even if it took into account every complaint and compliment you've ever made about a phone?

I'd buy a phone designed by a company who actually knows what they're doing if they allowed me to consult on a couple of key points.

But not designed by me :P

I'd buy a phone designed by a company who actually knows what they're doing if they allowed me to consult on a couple of key points.

If enough interest were shown would you ask a company that knows what they're doing if they would consider having you consult on (and possibly co-brand) such a phone?

He's told me he's not interested in the hassle but maybe if enough interest is shown he could be convinced to design and market a flagship phone w/all the good but none of the bad/pointless. We're talking satisfying buttons properly placed, front facing stereo speakers, reasonable resolution screens w/ good color reproduction that won't kill the battery, proper ports, a decent sized battery, a reasonable camera w/ a decent sensor, etc.

So basically what the market has been asking companies to make for years and they refuse to do because they know better than we do about what we want?

I guess it hinges on the "designed by" definition. Aesthetics or internals as well.

If enough interest were shown would you ask a company that knows what they're doing if they would consider having you consult on (and possibly co-brand) such a phone?

I guess, but it'd be impossible to make a project like that into a commercial success, so it won't happen. My reach is far too limited.

Well, at least you're honest about your expectations

Don't worry, I couldn't design a phone if you gave me $500 million.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

So basically what the market has been asking companies to make for years and they refuse to do because they know better than we do about what we want?

I guess it hinges on the "designed by" definition. Aesthetics or internals as well.

There is a big difference between the multitude complaining about different aspects of a multitude of phones over a period of years and someone coming to them with a mapped out program and popular backing.

I guess, but it'd be impossible to make a project like that into a commercial success, so it won't happen. My reach is far too limited.

Don't sell yourself short.  You're the face of 2,000,000 people.  What's the worst they can say? No?

Don't sell yourself short.  You're the face of 2,000,000 people.  What's the worst they can say? No?

Yeah, they can say no, and they will :P

The cost to develop a smartphone (properly) is astronomical and even if I could guarantee every single one of my YT subscribers would buy one the project would still be a failure..

Sure we could throw something together slap-dash, but it would just be another cheap Chinese-made smartphone - and I wouldn't want my name associated with it.

So for those reasons it just doesn't make business sense.

I'll focus on fans and cable ties for now :)

The cost to develop a smartphone (properly) is astronomical and even if I could guarantee every single one of my YT subscribers would buy one the project would still be a failure..

Sure we could throw something together slap-dash, but it would just be another cheap Chinese-made smartphone - and I wouldn't want my name associated with it.

I'm not suggesting R&D for an entirely new feature, just incorporating existing tech in the proper combination for a phone that is high tech w/o being wasteful.

You're also assuming that only LTT viewers would buy it but a quality phone at a decent price w/a proper marketing job including endorsement from the highest rated tech channel on an international platform... even people who don't necessarily know who you are would respect such a statement.  It'd also be a tremendous new draw for your company.

As for factories in China, they will use whatever specs and QC you tell them to.  It's just a question of making contact with a reputable manufacturing plant.  The better ones will even lend their engineering expertise to aid in design and QC.

If project Aura hits the consumer market I wouldn't mind buying blocks of the phone that were LTT themed. Or at the very least a Dbrand skin.