iamdarkyoshi's DIY 3D Printer (With Eventual FREE Plans)

iamdarkyoshi
Just now, Hackentosher said:

Very nice, make sure you coat this in a little bit of glue from a glue stick. Makes printing (at least in PLA,I can't speak for any other materials) a dream.

Oh I know, I print in ABS and gluestick is AWESOME. Thermal contraction after everything cools down pretty much pops the part off.

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Oh I know, I print in ABS and gluestick is AWESOME. Thermal contraction after everything cools down pretty much pops the part off.

Lol, or you've been impatiently waiting for hours for your print to finish and you just scrape it off with a razor... I speak from NO experience xD

Quick question, how are you handling bed leveling?

ASU

2 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Lol, or you've been impatiently waiting for hours for your print to finish and you just scrape it off with a razor... I speak from NO experience xD

Quick question, how are you handling bed leveling?

I do it manually. The bed is attacked to the Z platform with springs and allen-key screws, just tighten the screw to lower the corner, loosen it to raise it. I have gotten my tolerances good enough to where I can just tell it to print something and it works

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

I do it manually. The bed is attacked to the Z platform with springs and allen-key screws, just tighten the screw to lower the corner, loosen it to raise it. I have gotten my tolerances good enough to where I can just tell it to print something and it works

Very nice, from the picture it kinda looks like the bed is just bolted to the Z carriage.

ASU

Very nice, from the picture it kinda looks like the bed is just bolted to the Z carriage.

I only had one leadscrew and three linear bearings, so the Z platform was a bit silly. I might work on a better solution once I get it working reliably. I made a thing underneath the bed that pushes in the middle of it to raise it and braces itself on the back rod. It works surprisingly well, but it is not ideal.

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Yup. I absolutely love it.

I've been thinking about overhauling my hot end and extruder to utilize a proper geared extruder (Ultimaker hasn't been great at making an extruder that functions reliably) and perhaps that hotend. But I would have to completely re-create the XY carriage accounting for how much longer the E3D v6 is vs the little ultimaker guy.

ASU

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

I've been thinking about overhauling my hot end and extruder to utilize a proper geared extruder (Ultimaker hasn't been great at making an extruder that functions reliably) and perhaps that hotend. But I would have to completely re-create the XY carriage accounting for how much longer the E3D v6 is vs the little ultimaker guy.

I suppose I havent posted an image of my geared extruder from a scanner stepper assembly:

14545628641421865541675.thumb.jpg.f1f2d9

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I suppose I havent posted an image of my geared extruder from a scanner stepper assembly:

14545628641421865541675.thumb.jpg.f1f2d9

omg, do I spy gears from a 2D printer?

ASU

omg, do I spy gears from a 2D printer?

Yup :D

I used the stepper motor gear assembly from a scanner (great source of 8mm rods by the way, I didnt buy any of mine, just stole them from scanners) and the black gear is from a printer's paper advance mechanism, same tooth pitch and stuff. If its precise enough to move a scanner head, its enough to move filament. It does get hot though, which is why it has a fan and heatsinks on it

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I have not updated this thread in a while, I have been busy on other things. The passively cooled PC, and my bench PSU. The bench PSU should only take another day or two. The passively cooled PC? Quite a lot longer.

• 4 weeks later...

dayum son, thats fucking amazing

i here now crown you king of building things (idk of amazingness?)

Just now, IsaacDaGrazin said:

dayum son, thats fucking amazing

i here now crown you king of building things (idk of amazingness?)

I crown myself king of making amazing things that I never finish :(

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I crown myself king of making amazing things that I never finish :(

idgaf, you tried and you were determined thats all that matters, and its basically finished and it is amazing and you are amazing

Just now, IsaacDaGrazin said:

idgaf, you tried and you were determined thats all that matters, and its basically finished and it is amazing and you are amazing

lol thanks

I still have a lot to do though