HDD sounds like a radiation meter

tank12up
Go to solution Solved by Lord_Karango17,

It's normal if they make clicking noises when under load. It's the drive head moving back and forward.

If it makes noises as soon as its plugged in, and does it in a pattern, something is up...

While copying data my HDD(WD black 2TB) starts to sound like a radiation meter.

Is it normal?

It's normal if they make clicking noises when under load. It's the drive head moving back and forward.

If it makes noises as soon as its plugged in, and does it in a pattern, something is up...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

It was made by Geiger himself, it's probably just moving its read head a lot My WD black gets quite loud at times. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

While copying data my HDD(WD black 2TB) starts to sound like a radiation meter.

Is it normal?

haha thats some horrible knocking/clicking there..

If its too loud/frequent then usually it means its somewhat damaged.

Best to backup your data asap, then start finding errors and such

There will be noise coming from the hard drive, and if you have no sound dampening, that won't help either. Can you record the noise?

Also, my NAS drives are audible when reading/writing lots of data, but I check SMART data every 5 minutes or so and never get any errors.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Check for puddles of water around your room, those fuckers tick away at your rad levels, some rad-x usually fixes the issue

jk lol

Its fairly normal for hard drives to do that, as long as you don't hear grinding or strange constant patterns you should be fine :P

If it's just short whirry clicks, then that's just the drive head moving back and forth across the platter. If it's going CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, then it's probably dying.