Good CPU and MOBO combo for 3d rendering and casual gaming

Go to solution Solved by SheepRSA,

$300+ and in your case you might want to make a decent upgrade now so you don't have to in the near future. For casual gaming and mainly editing I would recommend more cores over single core performance so something like a non K i7 over a K i5 for example. Getting an i7 6700 for example would allow for good headroom in terms of expandability and overall longevity of the system especially if you want to up your editing workloads. Also Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the warm welcome! 

I'll keep that in consideration while shopping around. Anything specific i should look out for in a motherboard besides compatible sockets with my chosen CPU? 

sheep

Hi all

I am an animator and casual gamer looking to upgrade my mobo and CPU. currently running an intel i3-3220 @ 3.3GHz. 

8 gig ram (x2 4gig sticks not 100% sure on type, think its kingston) 

Gtx 760 

and 2 internal HDD's 

I mostly use Maya for animating, After effects for video editing, Photoshop and Ai for all still works. On top of all that i enjoy playing fps games. 

If anyone could recommend a good CPU and Mobo combo that would suit my needs id be very grateful! 

looking at a budget of around R3500 (+- 200$)

Thanks a mill guys :)

Sheep

Hi all

I am an animator and casual gamer looking to upgrade my mobo and CPU. currently running an intel i3-3220 @ 3.3GHz. 

Gtx 760 

and 2 internal HDD's 

I mostly use Maya for animating, After effects for video editing, Photoshop and Ai for all still works. On top of all that i enjoy playing fps games. 

If anyone could recommend a good CPU and Mobo combo that would suit my needs id be very grateful! 

Sheep

Welcome to the forum :)

Be sure to read the CoC

linked :here

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/95599-linus-tech-tips-forum-code-of-conduct/

Hi all

Gtx 760 

and 2 internal HDD's 

Sheep

cant do much with $200 USD for a motherboard AND cpu combo

cant do much with $200 USD for a motherboard AND cpu combo

Thanks for the reply! 

any idea what kind of budget id need for something workable? :) 

Thanks for the reply!

any idea what kind of budget id need for something workable? :)

$300+ and in your case you might want to make a decent upgrade now so you don't have to in the near future. For casual gaming and mainly editing I would recommend more cores over single core performance so something like a non K i7 over a K i5 for example. Getting an i7 6700 for example would allow for good headroom in terms of expandability and overall longevity of the system especially if you want to up your editing workloads. Also Welcome to the forum!

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

I'll keep that in consideration while shopping around. Anything specific i should look out for in a motherboard besides compatible sockets with my chosen CPU? 

sheep

He just needs mobo and cpu, no case and excess..

ebay has cheap 12 core xeons under $200

sheep

pci 16x,

sata 6gb/s

how much ram is supported.

motherboard size, ie atx, matx, eatx, 

He just needs mobo and cpu, no case and access..

ebay has cheap 12 core xeons under $200

pci 16x,

sata 6gb/s

how much ram is supported.

motherboard size, ie atx, matx, eatx, 

you guys have been a massive help! Thanks for all the recommendations :)

Happy hunting

sheep 

sheep

All motherboard manufactures now are very good so in terms of motherboards just make sure you get something you like, has nice expand-ability (if you want) and just overall fits your needs :) Good luck!

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City