Microsoft cuts off Windows 8's security updates on January 12 (Not 8.1)

SansVarnic

Who is still on 8 and why? Seriously!

My Girlfriend is still on 8. She never was one for upgrading to 8.1 due to the un-logical way of MS pushing 8.1, she never upgraded.

She is under the impression that windows 10 sucks because she's used to windows 8 (I kid u guys not).

Well, I hope this can convince her. But I'll probably have to wait with upgrading until the last few free months.

For like 2 hours then I pass out and sleep.

I think you should just go to bed the old fashioned way, at least for one night.

Move to w10 you 8.0 peasants.

But Windows 10 upgrade is free. How do I get to show how rich I am without buying it?

Still waiting the solid gold box and disk of Windows 10, with diamonds.

Who is still on 8 and why? Seriously!

My sister's Vaio is still running on Windows 8 Single Languague

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

I think you should just go to bed the old fashioned way, at least for one night.

I do, but this way I get to watch youtube, and get my videogame fix.

That is the extended service and that is if MS decides to continue on with the extended service after January,18th 2018 the official service stop date. But who knows what MS will be doing by then.

extended support means security patches

"normal" support means delivering new features

8.1 to 8 is like a SP for any other version os Windows before, it just becomes impossible or very hard to deliver updates with out because all Windows updates are cumulative meaning they are based upon the previous updates

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

The good news is if you use Win8.1 you will still receive security updates for the time being. It is known that Win8.1 will continue to be supported until January,18th 2018.

*Edit

This is more of an FYI really.

If you still use Windows 8, you will need to update to Windows 8.1 in order to continue receiving security updates. This is a common thing that happens to all Windows OS's during their span of life. Example: Win 7 and  SP1 no longer receive security updates either you need SP2 to continue receiving security updates.

Don't get your panties in a bunch over this as it is not a forced upgrade to Windows 10.

Windows 8.1 is supported until 2023. Also there is no Windows 7 SP2....

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

If someone is still on Windows 8, and haven't upgraded because they don't want to, they probably don't even upgrade security patches. Likely they're running the base Windows 8 installation, without a single update.

extended support means security patches

"normal" support means delivering new features

8.1 to 8 is like a SP for any other version os Windows before, it just becomes impossible or very hard to deliver updates with out because all Windows updates are cumulative meaning they are based upon the previous updates

Yes I know that and mentioned that in a later reply but is not what is meant by the article. WIn8 will not longer receive any updates security or otherwise. You will need 8.1 to receive those updates.

Windows 8.1 is supported until 2023. Also there is no Windows 7 SP2....

SP2 was a typo. Technically there is no SP2 but there was a large update that has been referred to as SP2, that is why I mentioned it. This is not relevant to the topic at hand though.

2023 is extended service. But that is unless MS changes its mind about it with how things are moving.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Watch out everyone MS is coming in to practically force you off of your desired OS and onto their spyware OS because they're the worst company on the planet.

/s

Well, your "worst company on the planet" is the worlds second most valuable brand as of 2015 by Forbes.

Well, your "worst company on the planet" is the worlds second most valuable brand as of 2015 by Forbes.

Apparently you did not see the /s I put in my post.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

But Windows 10 upgrade is free. How do I get to show how rich I am without buying it?

Still waiting the solid gold box and disk of Windows 10, with diamonds.

Still waiting for a paid version of wx that doesn't treat me as a product

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>