Do you even need a computer anymore?

legend8887

If you don't do PC gaming or anything like that won't my iPad Air 2 suit me well enough for what I need? I'm attempting to learn programming but I'm learning on an app.

Learning programming on an app?

I'm very sorry for your loss.

PC has many benefits over an iPad. I think the only thing the iPad beats it in is portability (unless you get an Ultrabook, which is also better than an iPad.)

Programming is also 100000000x easier on a keyboard, last I checked.

I used to be quite active here.

If not pc gaming then i would use a lightweight laptop/ultrabook for the few programs that are only on windows.

I don't like typing on non-mechanical keyboards, nevermind touchscreen ones.

I still want something that can run all the apps I want and not screwed-up mobile versions, and I want something that can still handle tons and tons of programs open on the screen at the same time - and multiple screens properly - and I would want tons of RAM for tons of active applications.

Also, for media consumption, I would want more than 128GB of storage on the device.

Sig under construction.

Ehhh maybe but I would still get a bt kb/mouse

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

If you don't do PC gaming or anything like that won't my iPad Air 2 suit me well enough for what I need? I'm attempting to learn programming but I'm learning on an app.

You can learn something like HTML/CSS on every device, but real programming on an iPad? GL with that.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

I don't like typing on non-mechanical keyboards, nevermind touchscreen ones.

I still want something that can run all the apps I want and not screwed-up mobile versions, and I want something that can still handle tons and tons of programs open on the screen at the same time - and multiple screens properly - and I would want tons of RAM for tons of active applications.

Also, for media consumption, I would want more than 128GB of storage on the device.

hey mechanical fanboy. what is so special about mechanical keyboards? give me a good nicely priced keyboard name and tell me why the fuck i should get one? please, i have gaming mouse, i didnt believe it would make a big difference to my "shitmouse"(some microsoft 5 dollar mouse) , and i was blown away how good the gaming mouse was(g502). now i have this 5dollar microsoft keyboard, its "fine" .

edit: i just remembered that people in this forum like to get fking offended by everything and also they take everything seriously, so: i didnt mean any bad when i said :"mechanical fanboy" . please dont get mad at me  :)

hey mechanical fanboy. what is so special about mechanical keyboards? give me a good nicely priced keyboard name and tell me why the fuck i should get one? please, i have gaming mouse, i didnt believe it would make a big difference to my "shitmouse"(some microsoft 5 dollar mouse) , and i was blown away how good the gaming mouse was(g502). now i have this 5dollar microsoft keyboard, its "fine" .

Unless you type a lot or are big into gaming it doesn't matter.

I do both (gaming to a lesser extent) and use cherry mx brown g710+. It helps me type faster and has a very satisfying feel.

Unless you type a lot or are big into gaming it doesn't matter.

I do both (gaming to a lesser extent) and use cherry mx brown g710+. It helps me type faster and has a very satisfying feel.

so this logitec g710+ something should be a good one? 

Yes you CAN learn a programming language on an app, however try using the language you learned to develop an application on something like a mobile phone or tablet.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

All these posts and no-one has pointed out the obvious:  the iPad Air 2 IS a computer.

Using an app  to write apps seems a bit like using IE to 'write' web pages (lots of unoptimized code to do even the simplest of things)

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

If your grandma has never used a computer in her life before, sure, she doesn't need a PC. But look at her tap away on that iPad, asking why it won't work when she uses her fingernail!

No, dude, everyone needs full PCs. There's nothing small, powerful and efficient enough that it can replace desktops and laptops. Not when you're trying to program or render stuff. It doesn't work that way.

edit: i just remembered that people in this forum like to get fking offended by everything and also they take everything seriously, so: i didnt mean any bad when i said :"mechanical fanboy" . please dont get mad at me  :)

The fact that they last for years (my Model M is many years older than me), and the way they feel and sound. I've done about 20 million keypresses on this keyboard and it still looks and sounds fine. It's reliable.

With a really cheap keyboard, I feel that I would be really uncomfortable and then it would break.

And I've never used a proper gaming mouse. I should probably get a decent mouse instead of a cheapo wireless one that I've been using for coming up to three years, but I feel that I enjoy having a quality keyboard more than a quality mouse.

And I'm not offended by your saying "mechanical fanboy" because I am a mechanical fanboy.

And I'll say that you should look at a keyboard with Cherry MX switches and give them a try (but sample many different types), because I feel that you'll like them and you will soon be enjoying the feel and sound of typing more, and you'll probably be typing faster. There are many other brands of mechanical switches you might want to consider, but Cherry is kinda the king at the moment. 

Sig under construction.

While I use a smartphone for a lot of things, I have three tablets that all go unused. If I'm going to bother to switch from my cell, I'm looking for a real keyboard to do work with. That's the biggest difference for me.

edit: i just remembered that people in this forum like to get fking offended by everything and also they take everything seriously, so: i didnt mean any bad when i said :"mechanical fanboy" . please dont get mad at me :)

Asks people to justify their opinions with phrases like, "hey fanboy," "why the fuck I should get one," "shitmouse," and "get fking offended" then says don't get mad at me. ::facepalm::

This may not be the best way to approach conversations in life. It's not just "people on this forum," it often rubs people the wrong way when you come in hot and angry sounding.