Stablizing fx 9590 and ran with voltage

I normally keep Cool N quiet on and Use an offset voltage and just work my way up until stable (try 1.45V... 1.5 is a bit too high for air IMO) (offset voltage is default voltage (which u may not know) +- whatever you set it at.

What I usually say here is start the offset at 0 and *just play with it* Just be careful not to kill your cpu please haha

Some people don't run CnQ even with Overclocking but I don't like doing that... I dont like having my idle temps at 50C on my AMD chips haha

But you will likely need a positive offset being you said you werent stable at stock voltage (which indicated your CPU is broken btw... if you can make a warranty claim, do it. This will just prolong it's life a bit)

stock is 1.476 volts

Before I start...

...Learn how to use an ASUS ROG board, and it's premium features. You can take Print Screens while in BIOS on the Crosshair V Formula-Z.

Spoiler
H2A9Fza.png

If you haven't looked any any AMD FX-8000 or FX-9000 series tutorials / videos / guides, please do that before you proceed any further.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

http://rog.asus.com/216552013/crosshair-motherboards/guide-overclocking-fx-8350-to-4-8ghz-on-crosshair-v-formula-z/

Next, why the F@$K is your CPU-NB voltage so high?

You do realize CPU-NB is the Integrated Memory Controller (IMC) in the CPU?

Just dumping more voltage won't make an overclock stable.

1. What are you Load-Line-Calibration settings? Post a Screenshot of those
  2. What is the stock Core Voltage, and CPU-NB for your FX-9590?
  3. What CPU cooler are you using? What are the idle temperatures while in BIOS? Post a Screenshot of those
  4. Is your 16GB kit 4 X 4GB, or 2 X 8GB?
  5. Properly adjust the timings for your Memory; not just set the frequency to 1866 MHz, and leave everything on Auto.

@Priller come back you us  :mellow:

To prove I am NOT intentionally ripping on you...

Spoiler
2PzmNO1.png

qnOK3qC.png

qnOK3qC.png

s7iFVKo.jpg

HHVi8lS.jpg

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Before I start...

...Learn how to use an ASUS ROG board, and it's premium features. You can take Print Screens while in BIOS on the Crosshair V Formula-Z.

Spoiler
H2A9Fza.png

If you haven't looked any any AMD FX-8000 or FX-9000 series tutorials / videos / guides, please do that before you proceed any further.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

http://rog.asus.com/216552013/crosshair-motherboards/guide-overclocking-fx-8350-to-4-8ghz-on-crosshair-v-formula-z/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MckeAmnDeTk

• What are you Load-Line-Calibration settings? Post a Screenshot of those
  • What is the stock Core Voltage, and CPU-NB for your FX-9590?
  • What CPU cooler are you using? What are the idle temperatures while in BIOS? Post a Screenshot of those
  • Is your 16GB kit 4 X 4GB, or 2 X 8GB?
  • Properly adjust the timings for your Memory; not just set the frequency to 1866 MHz, and leave everything on Auto.

Spoiler
2PzmNO1.pngqnOK3qC.pngqnOK3qC.pngs7iFVKo.jpgHHVi8lS.jpg
load line?

Stock core volt is 1.47

Cooler is bequiet dark rock pro 3

2x8 gb kit

Timings?

post-54578-0-02491600-1452233392_thumb.j

Before I start...

Spoiler
H2A9Fza.png

3. What CPU cooler are you using? What are the idle temperatures while in BIOS? Post a Screenshot of those
  5. Properly adjust the timings for your Memory; not just set the frequency to 1866 MHz, and leave everything on Auto.

Spoiler
2PzmNO1.png

qnOK3qC.png

qnOK3qC.png

s7iFVKo.jpg

HHVi8lS.jpg

nothing is overclocked. The cpu is no even stable at stock voltage and speeds

I'd say Sandy can handle 1.5V...

well i can't but people ran it at that. sandy is one of the worst for degrading

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Loved my SandyBritches

Sandy 2600K @ 1.45v for 4.95Ghz on the Hyper212 Push Pull

Couldn't crack 5Ghz though with my cooling without breaking 85-90*c most of the time under load :(

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Just RMA that CPU. You need the two IDs (serial and product code) that are on the IHS. You don't need box etc, just ideally the plastic AMD container.

You don't need a proof of purchase UNLESS your CPU was manufactured outside of warranted date (3 years) BUT you bought it within the current warranted period. E.g. CPU manufacturered 5/1/13 = out of warranty but if it was bought 10/1/13 = in warranty (if you can prove it). 

If you can downvolt with the CPU being stable then do it, i had 1.28V stable at 4GHZ...

The 9590 doesn't like being undervolted or underclocked.

nothing is overclocked. The cpu is no even stable at stock voltage and speeds

You still have AI Tuner set to auto, TAKE THINGS OFF AUTO.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Just RMA that CPU. You need the two IDs (serial and product code) that are on the IHS. You don't need box etc, just ideally the plastic AMD container.

You don't need a proof of purchase UNLESS your CPU was manufactured outside of warranted date (3 years) BUT you bought it within the current warranted period. E.g. CPU manufacturered 5/1/13 = out of warranty but if it was bought 10/1/13 = in warranty (if you can prove it). 

no plastic container.

only the box

i do have the amazon account i used to buy it.

There should be an invoice or such

The 9590 doesn't like being undervolted or underclocked.

You still have AI Tuner set to auto, TAKE THINGS OFF AUTO.

like what?

no plastic container.

only the box

like what?

Yea you can print the invoice, take a look at amds rma form

http://support.amd.com/en-us/warranty/rma

if it's not working at defaults I'd just return the thing to be honest.

if it's less than a year old you could send it back to amazon for a refund and get a more sensible 8370 or something ;)

Yea you can print the invoice, take a look at amds rma form

http://support.amd.com/en-us/warranty/rma

if it's not working at defaults I'd just return the thing to be honest.

if it's less than a year old you could send it back to amazon for a refund and get a more sensible 8370 or something ;)

no box.

amazon wont accept it.

no plastic container.

only the box

like what?

Everything lol AI tuner on auto is changing all your clock speeds and everything. set it to manual...

Before I start...

Spoiler
H2A9Fza.png

Spoiler
2PzmNO1.png

qnOK3qC.png

qnOK3qC.png

s7iFVKo.jpg

HHVi8lS.jpg

Have you done stress testing with that at such a low voltage because I had mine that low once... it wasn't stable, at all.

post-122562-0-13319200-1441411354_thumb.
Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Everything lol AI tuner on auto is changing all your clock speeds and everything. set it to manual...

Have you done stress testing with that at such a low voltage because I had mine that low once... it wasn't stable, at all.

Probably a older FX-8350 that was binned higher....

Newer FX-8xxx chips are lowered binned because of the 9xxx.

Probably a older FX-8350 that was binned higher....

Newer FX-8xxx chips are lowered binned because of the 9xxx.

Urm no, seriously doubt that, you're looking at 1.54v territory for 5ghz even with a good binned chip.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

Urm no, seriously doubt that, you're looking at 1.54v territory for 5ghz even with a good binned chip.

I think it's 1.5V at least...i doubt 1.54V is needed...

I think it's 1.5V at least...i doubt 1.54V is needed...

Then you'd be wrong. well I can run mine at 5ghz at 1.4v+ but it won't be stable and it will be writing corrupt data to my drives.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

i have the same system, and i was getting the same problem in the beginning.

you need to go to the advance settings/ cpu config in you Bios and desable all power saving features (cool and quiet,c6 state and etc), then go to load line calibration and set it to extreme, cpu power to 110%, and disable apm, and that works solid for me.

Then you'd be wrong. well I can run mine at 5ghz at 1.4v+ but it won't be stable and it will be writing corrupt data to my drives.

4.7 at 1.45 v

you need to go to the advance settings/ cpu config in you Bios and desable all power saving features (cool and quiet,c6 state and etc), then go to load line calibration and set it to extreme, cpu power to 110%, and disable apm, and that works solid for me.

thats it?

jesus.

all this

thanks man

You can turn all your power saving on if you set your LLC to high and power to 140% btw. I know because I have all that set up.

thats it?

jesus.

all this

thanks man

Please note, with those settings your thermals will sky rocket, using extreme LLC will reverse VDROOP and send your voltage higher than you have it set in the bios for example. 1.48v idle will turn into 1.52v under load.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

You can turn all your power saving on if you set your LLC to high and power to 140% btw. I know because I have all that set up.

Please note, with those settings your thermals will sky rocket, using extreme LLC will reverse VDROOP and send your voltage higher than you have it set in the bios for example. 1.48v idle will turn into 1.52v under load.

yap.

but i tink its more stable with the LLC set to extreme, and the voltage wont go that high with the cpu power set to 110% so you will have better thermal performance

yap.

but i tink its more stable with the LLC set to extreme, and the voltage wont go that high with the cpu power set to 110% so you will have better thermal performance

It will still send thermals up, trust me, I know. Unless you're keeping the clock speed pinned for a reason (benching or what have you) then keeping the thermals up is pointless. My idle temp on my 5ghz OC is 26c for example (taken from the socket).

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

yap.

pc crashes at extreme , is ok on the setting just before it  

It will still send thermals up, trust me, I know. Unless you're keeping the clock speed pinned for a reason (benching or what have you) then keeping the thermals up is pointless. My idle temp on my 5ghz OC is 26c for example (taken from the socket).

so I need more fans?

@Benji_w

My FX-8350 @ 5.0 GHz is stable, but my Load-Line-Calibration kicks the Core Voltage up to ~1.47V.

Temperature wise, when all cores are on full load (i.e. Prime95), the temperature gets quite high...high 60*C's nearing 70*C.

I had a Swiftech H220...but both (original and replacement unit) each failed within 24 hours of actual operation.

@Bajantechnician

Load-Line-Calibration counter-acts voltage drooping when the CPU is under load / stress.

For an example, you sent your Core Voltage to 1.5V. During idle and low loads it may be at 1.5V, but once the CPU is under heavy load, the voltage droops down to say...1.48V, making your overclock / CPU unstable.

Adjust the Load-Line-Calibration enough so the voltage is stable.

If you use a too high LLC, then you voltage is be higher than necessary.

eNbqJfkl.png

As mentioned before, for the sake of troubleshooting

• Disable Cool N' Quiet
  • Disable C1E
  • Disable Core C6 State
  • Enable HPC Mode (High Performance Computing)
  • Disable APM Master Mode (Application Power Management)

You are running your DRAM at 1866 MHz, and with a CPU-NB of 2200 MHz. Drop your CPU-NB down to 1.25V ~ 1.3V. Even 1.3V is not necessary -- 1.4V is just ridiculous...

If I recall, I am able to run 2400 MHz CPU-NB with 1.23V (?). Will have to check.

Increasing your CPU-VDDA voltage can help stabilize overclocks. DO NOT increase this voltage too high; only a very small amount is needed.

The stock CPU-VDDA voltage should be 2.5V; try increasing it to 2.5V ~ 2.55V. DO NOT EXCEED 2.6V.

Tweaking the NB or SB voltage can also help, but those are the finer bits of tuning. I'd recommend that you deal with these voltages in the end.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>