Fallout 4 Drop to 30fps

Macurban14
Go to solution Solved by crystal6tak,

I have noticed recently that Fallout 4 will play consistently at 60fps, but COMPLETELY randomly drops to 30fps. This does not happen in any specific locations... It happens while looking at a very GPU-Intensive scene, but then it happens again while looking at a rock in a basement. My PC is WAY overkill for this game so I don't understand why this is happening...

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4ghz

GPU: 2x Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming GTX 980TIs in SLI

Ram: 32GB Corsair Vengeance

CPU Cooler: H100i GTX

SSD: MX100 250GB

HDD: 2x 1TB WD Green

PSU: EVGA 1300G2

All of my thermals are quite low, so there is no thermal throttling happening.

In the Nvidia control panel, I have the game set to pre-render 4 frames, and I have Vertical Sync ON. If I turn it OFF, I get like 500 FPS but that makes the Time in the game go VERY fast, since the game speed is based on the FPS.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Last time I played Fallout 4, it disliked SLI. In fact running SLI had higher FPS but more stutter, so it felt like less FPS than single card.

Anyways, as to your question, yea I have experienced moments where my 4790K paired with 980 Ti 1432 Mhz OC will drop to 30 FPS at times. Also at specific locations. (Example is one of a green high way you encounter when following the red trail to find the railroad) I get solid 60 FPS pretty much majority of the time. Usually notice GPU usage dips way down, below the usual low usage already lol. So my guess will be the lack of optimization of the game engine. Nothing you can do except lower the settings. Or wait for Bethesda to optimize this piece of shi* engine. 

I have noticed recently that Fallout 4 will play consistently at 60fps, but COMPLETELY randomly drops to 30fps. This does not happen in any specific locations... It happens while looking at a very GPU-Intensive scene, but then it happens again while looking at a rock in a basement. My PC is WAY overkill for this game so I don't understand why this is happening...

In the Nvidia control panel, I have the game set to pre-render 4 frames, and I have Vertical Sync ON. If I turn it OFF, I get like 500 FPS but that makes the Time in the game go VERY fast, since the game speed is based on the FPS.

Try dropping your graphics settings down and see if it fixes it? Obviously not a long term solution but it'll help narrow down the problem.

-Sneep-

Have you noticed if there was any loading going on during these drops?

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

1. Try using DDU and clean installing the latest drivers.

2. I heard that if you're using Windows 10 it has a problem with Fallout 4 but there is a workaround.

3. Check Task Manager when the framerate drops and make sure you don't have a LiteCoin miner hiding in the background or something (which indicates a virus).

4. Make sure you're not thermal throttling, especially your CPU.

Last time I played Fallout 4, it disliked SLI. In fact running SLI had higher FPS but more stutter, so it felt like less FPS than single card.

Anyways, as to your question, yea I have experienced moments where my 4790K paired with 980 Ti 1432 Mhz OC will drop to 30 FPS at times. Also at specific locations. (Example is one of a green high way you encounter when following the red trail to find the railroad) I get solid 60 FPS pretty much majority of the time. Usually notice GPU usage dips way down, below the usual low usage already lol. So my guess will be the lack of optimization of the game engine. Nothing you can do except lower the settings. Or wait for Bethesda to optimize this piece of shi* engine. 

I have tried setting ALL graphics settings ALL the way down, but it still happens.
There was no loading. Just 60fps...53...43...37...30.

My drivers are all up-to-date.

monitor your CPU and HDD usage and see if either one of them spikes when you notice a framerate drop

if neither of them does, then its the fact that youre running SLI that causes it

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'll try disabling SLI and playing the game...

Disabled SLI and It ran perfectly. I will set it up so it only uses one GPU. Damn...I should have bought a Titan X. 

Its from V-sync..
Make sure it is set to adaptive in global settings. V-Sync works in a way that if it doesn't get 60 FPS it will drop down in increments.. Normally to 30fps.. If you set it to adaptive, it will lock it at 60 FPS, but if you go lower than it will turn V-sync off and stop it from dropping.. 
If you want to solve all these issues just buy a G-sync monitor..

I'll try disabling SLI and playing the game...

BTW, if you want to play Fallout 4 without input lag, turn V-Sync off through the ini file, then set FPS limit of 59 using MSI Rivatuner. That keeps the game engine physics from freaking out while getting rid of all the input lag. 

Used this technique on my entire playthrough. Works like a charm. Gun play feels fantastic. I pretty much aimed better than the VAT system lol. Only downside is you will encounter more screen tearing. I prefer to deal with screen tearing over unbearable gunplay. So yea.

Disabled SLI and It ran perfectly. I will set it up so it only uses one GPU. Damn...I should have bought a Titan X. 

Shouldn't double reply but umm...no, gaming performance between Titan X and 980 Ti is miniscule... And you'll be dealing with reference cooler with a Titan X...unless you get your own cooling... So no, you made the right choice going with 980 Ti.